TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 07, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 07, 2014 users admin

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
omg that was so wonderful. I feel kind of crazy that I care about each of these characters. Thank god Mary has come around.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Wow! It was worth the wait. Glad I didn't seek out any spoilers other than what I saw on PBS previews.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
I don't like the new lady's maid. She's trouble for sure.

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Sunday, January 05, 2014 - 9:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
Comes on here in 33 minutes!!

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, January 06, 2014 - 7:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
We were and are excited that Downton is back! That said I'll have to say we're glad that this was not our first introduction to the show. Understandably the central and underlying theme was and should have been the staff and family trying to deal with Mary and her mourning. Some of the best scenes involved Mary and her grandmother and the butler dealing with her funk. For us the rest of the show and the script was kind of this mishmash of subplots and stories that at best kind of made sense. Obviously the writer, producers, and director decided to rearrange the "deck chairs" to accommodate actors/actresses leaving the show and to move the storyline along and hopefully set us up for the rest of the season....hopefully. Still a good show though maybe not a great one.

Reenie

06-24-2006

Monday, January 06, 2014 - 7:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
ROTEACH...I am also glad I didn't see any spoilers! I want to enjoy this season as it unfolds.

I am glad to see Mary back in action and it's good she has Tom to help her.

That new ladies maid blaming Anna for the dress getting ruined is already on my nerves. She and Tom are going to be trouble

This should be a wonderful season!

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, January 06, 2014 - 7:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
but what the heck is wrong with Cora???? Its obvious that the reason Mrs. Obrien was so powerful is because Cora is totally out of touch with what is going on in her own home. Maybee if you rely on staff for totally running your home that was a common trait for the woman of the house to have. I just want to smack her.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 06, 2014 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Cora has 'almost' always been useless. And her husband is basically less-than-useless. (Their youngest daughter would be alive were it not for his obstinant stupidity. IMHO.) Not bad people, just... useless.

Nobody does cold to the bone like Mary does. Glad she FINALLY defrosted.

Glad that whatsisname has a new partner in crime in the witchy ladies maid. I preferred him last year, when he seemed to soften with humility and humanity. But he's back to being in fine form as a nasty piece of work. I wonder if he KNEW about the Nanny's prejudice or if it was just lucky he had it out for her. I think her scene upset me more than any I've seen on this show since it started. And it was over in a flash before my mind could absorb it. I wanted to punch my screen and shake her senseless. (And I'm nonviolent. LOL) Have to admit, Cora was totally brill about that. :-)

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, January 06, 2014 - 8:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I didn't like the new ladies' maid when she hit on Branson last time and she'd better not do it again. Heck, she shouldn't have even been hired. The staff gave her a good recommendation so that she could get another job elsewhere not so she could come back and cause mayhem.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, January 06, 2014 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
what annoyed me about Cora in the Nanny firing scene was that when she told her to leave and get a maid to handle the kids she sat down on a chair and didfn't even go over to over to the kids who were awake....talk about cold. such a different time. Although I have to say that Mary wasn't very warm with George the one time she held him

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Monday, January 06, 2014 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Agree completely about Cora. Unless she sees something she does not "see" what's going on around her.

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 7:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
I'm completely stumped about one thing: how Matthew "owned" any part of the etate to will to his widow Mary, or how any of it could devise down to his son and heir George, until such time as the still-living current Earl (Lord Grantham), dies.

In both "Pride and Prejudice" and "Sense and Sensibility," Jane Austen explained pretty clearly that an estate entailed to male heirs cannot be willed to anyone else, that the current heir owns only the income from the estate, and only for his lifetime; and that while he's living he better save some of that income so his wife and daughters won't be destitute if he dies before the daughters marry.

In addiiton, the very first episode of Downton Abbey revolved around the crisis created when Mary's fiance and first cousin, who at the time was Lord Grantham's heir, died on the Titanic. And then the whole point of seasons 1 and 2 was whether Mary could fall in love with Matthew, a very distant cousin who had become the next heir.

So how could Matthew have owned any part of the estate if he predeceased Lord Grantham? I can understand that Matthew's son (baby George), is the next heir, but I don't understand how George or anyone else -- other than the current Lord Grantham -- can own any portion of the estate, or even its income.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 8:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I was thinking the same thing Daydreamer. He wasn't rich when he came to town so he didn't have money prior to marrying into the family. All the money should currently be Lord Grantham's, not George's. None of that made sense to me at all.

Mamapors

07-29-2004

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 8:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamapors a private message Print Post    
I think there is a distinction between owning the land, and running the estate. Matthew wanted Mary to run the estate.

http://pintsofhistory.com/2013/02/28/the-entail-primogeniture-and-why-matthew-or-his-son-inherits-downton-abbey/

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Lord Grantham used up most of his money when he was running the estate by himself. Matthew got an inheritance from his deceased fiancee's father, so he bailed out the estate.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Right, thanks Merrysea. (I'd forgotten that tidbit.)

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Funny or Die has Michelle Dockery's new series...

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/2621d24714/tough-justice-with-michelle-dockery

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Downton Abbey fanatic recreates Crawley family and their castle using thousands of tiny Lego bricks

http://tinyurl.com/nw6oac9

Now I want the Downton Abbey Lego movie!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Rieann I just about bust a gut on that vid with Michelle Dockery! I am sooooo posting that on my FB page. Thanks for sharing it!

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Merrysea, you're awesome! I completely forgot about that. That explains it all. Thank you!

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 1:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
You're welcome!

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
What kills me is the fact that Lord Grantham almost put Downton into poverty, yet he thinks he's the best person to run it and oversee baby George's stake as well. That place needs a conservator. Where's Jamie Spears when you need him?

Csnog

07-18-2002

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
Lord Grantham had to go to America and find Cora's family money to keep the estate, then he almost lost it, until Matthew received an inheritance.

Seems Lord Grantham has no idea how to manage money, let alone an estate.

Every season they set the stage so we are kept interested, which I enjoy unfolding.

Lady Edith was stunning, both in looks and her secret affair.

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 6:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
Merrysea, I forgot all about Matthew's inheritance from his late fiancee. Thank you!

Wrennez

11-03-2009

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wrennez a private message Print Post    
darn I missed it, anywhere I can see it online, uverse does not have it on ondemand