TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 14, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 14, 2013 users admin

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I don't think new cast members require a spoiler box.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 12:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I would think only plot spoilers would require a box at this point.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Hope they show how & when O'Brien gets hers!

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I don't think they will though. Time will have passed and they'll just note that she's left.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
lol Marameko....OBrien drove me crazy with her mean spirited activities. It seems to me that everyone else downstairs got along fine except for the trouble she would start so good riddance.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Since the actress who played O'Brien didn't renew her contract they'd either have to pay/talk her into at least one episode even if just long enough for her to quit or get fired. Since they've skipped time before I'd guess they'll just explain her being gone somehow through the dialogue. Cheaper and quicker. Wasn't Shrimpy's wife kind of courting her at the end last season? Of course Shrimpy's said he was basically bankrupt but he had his posting overseas so he had some income.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I'd like to see O'Brien come back some day. I liked her character, although she made my jaw tight with her plotting.

Maris

03-27-2002

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Yes Mack. I can easily see OBrien going off to India with Shrimpy since she is such an expert in fixing the lady's hair

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 6:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yeah they were hinting broadly about her wanting to go to India with Shrimpy et al, in that ep, so while I was surprised to hear the news, it was kind of an 'oh yeah, that makes sense' moment.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 8:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I just adjusted the settings on my high def tv . Also watching DA from season 1 with fresh eyes. It was a good idea to play around with the actual tv remote.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 6:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Watching the Today Show. The will be interviewing Dame Maggie in the 8 o'clock hour.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 7:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
From reading the Julian Fellowes interview link somewhere in this thread it sounds like British actors prefer not to stay with one show for very long and only sign short contracts. It's just a different culture than here in the US. Not good, not bad, just different. So I guess if we're going to watch their shows we have to watch knowing that the characters won't be in our lives for years and years as they are here. We need to just enjoy (or hate) them while they're on and wish them well with their future endeavors.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
Even if British actors prefer to move on, why are they doing this when the show is in its prime? You would think they would stick around and make some more money with a contract renewal. But, maybe that is just American thinking.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 12:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Chances are that because they are so popular, they are getting bombarded with tempting offers and are cutting loose to chase those opportunities - which may or may not pan out.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
It seems to me that in the US a lot of relatively unknown actors/actresses wind up in these ensemble cast shows. Sometimes they salt the casts with one or two you recognize sometimes not. Anyhow, you don't have to think too long and several names ought to come up of cast members who have left these ensemble shows once they think they've reached a certain level of popularity. Some have gone on to individual stardom, some have had their "15 minutes of fame" and disappeared from TV and movies.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Thursday, March 07, 2013 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
They may not want to stay in a role too long because of type casting, or wanting broader experience so they can do all sorts of shows. In the US there are many actors who stayed with a hit show for a long, long time, and then never are seen again.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Downton Abbey marathon on PBS today for anyone who wants to watch. Season 3.

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 3:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The transformation of Mr. Stevens is fairly remarkable. I'm pretty sure if D.A. fans passed him on the street today, they'd probably walk right by him. Behold:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/03/19/downton-abbey-star-dan-stevens-new-look-pictures_n_2906340.html

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
I certainly wouldn't recognise him, Unclericky.

Luvbbplayers

07-14-2006

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 2:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Luvbbplayers a private message Print Post    
I didn't see Ms Patmore die in Season 3...did I miss something?!

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, April 05, 2013 - 2:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Nope Luv she is still here.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Thursday, June 13, 2013 - 9:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Dan Stevens is on this week's Graham Norton Show (on BBC America). I think it repeats a few times this week, and it was a good show, worth catching.

Richard Crawley did nothing for me, but Dan Stevens looks 10 years younger and is decidedly hot.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Friday, June 14, 2013 - 4:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
I have seasons 2 and 3 on order from my library - they didn't have season one.

When does the new season start?

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, June 14, 2013 - 5:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
New season in US is in January I think. My sister-in-law "cheats" as her husband is British and they get DVDs from his family in England before the US season starts. They have a DVD player that plays European zone DVDs so they can't share with us unless he re-records it but that strains his technical expertise and it hasn't happened yet.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, June 14, 2013 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I just get on the waiting list at the library - they have copies to distribute as soon as the British shows have aired (at least I think they do - I had the last season well before it was over, and that was even after being 260-something on the waiting list.