TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 23, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Under the Dome: Under the Dome - Includes References to Book: Archive through July 23, 2013 users admin

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The military is restricting communication. Remember they wouldn't even look at them.

Hiyall

07-06-2005

Thursday, July 04, 2013 - 1:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hiyall a private message Print Post    
thanks rissa, i caught it and am now caught up. i've not read the book, surprisingly, but am enjoying the show so far.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 05, 2013 - 11:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
In the book sound could get through. At the very beginning one person on each side went around the edge together to see if it had an end, which it didn't.

But not much could get through, in the book.

It is hard, not knowing who to trust, so to speak.

And of course in the book there was no one who was black (being a town in Maine) and certainlyh no lesbian couple travelling through.

And the teenagers seemed younger in the book.

The editor hadn't JUST taken over at the paper, I don't think. It was in her family long term.

Maybe I shouldn't have recently re-read the book..

I guess they have cut out the character of the wife of the Sheriff who died before he could reveal the scandal.

I just finally watched the first two episodes last night.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 12:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And they have 13 episodes but hope to have seasons, so it is not a mini-series.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Yes, they have changed it a lot from what was in the book. In the book they were still able to pick up TV and radio signals from outside and were able to watch the news stories. They also had Internet and cell service. They were able to communicate with the army officers on the outside. They are much more isolated in this version.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Not so much cell service.. that was blocked but the contact on the outside could call in to Barbie or whoeve.. but since the Barbie character is obviously different, so may be that part of the plot.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 12:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I started a non book plot thread; if enough people want that discussion, it should thrive and hopefully those of us who have read the book can post both places, just as we would in other areas where there are spoilers.

The book plot isn't a spoiler for the show, but is a spoiler for those who haven't yet read the book.

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
Since I do not intend to read the book, I will enjoy reading what the differences are.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
"I started a non book plot thread;"

Where is it? I don't see it in this TV Shows section.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 06, 2013 - 1:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's kind of inside of this thread but it's a little hard to spot right now. I'll move them around so it's a bit easier to see.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 12:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Jimmer..

Trini

07-06-2004

Monday, July 08, 2013 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Trini a private message Print Post    
i started the book in the 90s it scared me and i couldn't finish it, cannot find the book now. I'll continue to check here, i am enjoying the the show.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I found the book very difficult to read because of the meanness and outright evilness of some of the characters. Some of them were really awful people in the book. It seems to have been toned down a bit on the show.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 1:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I'm kind of getting bored. I am ready for at least a few answers to start getting revealed.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 09, 2013 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree about the book. As much as I enjoyed it, some of the characters were so mean, unfair and awful it was hard to take and generally very annoying. I kept wishing that I could get in there and do something about it (I guess that's a sign that it was a good read).

All the same, I love the way King captures the feel of a small town.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 8:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Seems crazy that hostage Angie lied to Junior about having a romance with Barbie. And then Junior's idea to use the tunnels to get under the dome? If the military already thought of that then they'd be inside the dome already!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
At this point they have made so many changes from the book it is almost a different story.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Jimmer ~ I never read the book! While I have enjoyed Stephen King over the years, some of his work is too scary to read without the lights on. He's got talent for making a small town go from 'normal' to 'evil' in a blink! There's got to be a rotten apple for every good basket?

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
Agreed, Jimmer. King had a response to those (me) that didn't like how much was changed. I know that book-to-film adaptations usually have differences, but the basic premise remains. For instance, a woodchuck was cut in half in the book, not a cow. Not a big deal (imho.) But it seems like only the characters' names are the same, not who they were.
Tried to watch this and it got really busy in my head-all of the voices saying "this isn't right ", "why'd they do that?"-lol
http://www.theloop.ca/showbiz/tv-guide/news/article/-/a/2567654/Stephen-King-addresses-Under-the-Dome-critics

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I'm glad the girl in the bunker was found.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Yeah, she was found by crazy boy's dad, so I'm not sure that's good news.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
I agree, Naja. Some evil overtones there.

Marebear

09-27-2002

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 7:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marebear a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the article Bluejaxrock.

I, too, feel that about the only constants from the novel are the names of the characters, that the kids have seizures, and of course, the Dome. The story is totally different.

I am rereading the novel, so I am really noticing the changes. According to that article the end will be different. I'm all for that since I thought the end to the novel was really lame.

I am enjoying the series though :-)

Trini

07-06-2004

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Trini a private message Print Post    
I have stopped watching.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 3:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
That is the fastest hour on tv.

As for Dome stories I sort of liken it to Titanic. Many different stories could be told from the perspective of different characters. I've alway wished James Cameron would film another Titanic from other points of view.