TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 08, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Mad Men: Archive through April 08, 2013 users admin

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 6:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I've been wondering that for a while. They've pretty much been pounding that idea into our heads since they started going for the campaign. They must have some kind of advertising deal with Jag though...don't you think?

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 4:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
People know that Jaguars are unreliable. They buy them anyway for the prestige. I have never understood why.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Friday, June 08, 2012 - 8:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
DISH NETWORK SUBSCRIBERS TAKE NOTE: Dish has moved AMC to channels 9609 & 9610 because of their little tiff. You might have to reset your DVR to record the correct channel. I know I did last night. I'd hate to see you miss the season finale on Sunday.

K2aggie77

10-12-2011

Friday, June 08, 2012 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send K2aggie77 a private message Print Post    
The auto show on PBS radio said if you have a Jaguar you need two things. (1) a big glass window into you garage to see it and (2)your second car needs to be a tow truck.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, June 11, 2012 - 6:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
The Season Finale didn't really do much for me. The theme seemed to be depression...how uplifting, or not. I was starting to wonder if every one of them was either going to hang themselves or go in for shock therapy.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Monday, June 11, 2012 - 12:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
Hated the shock therapy storyline. I had forgotten that some men use to control wives who showed a little spunk that way. Remember how Betty's therapist discussed everything Betty talked to him about with Don?

If Peggy comes up with the Viginia Slims "You've Come A Long Way Baby" slogan, she will surpass anything Don has ever done.

Looks like Don's old demons are about return and I had forgotten about Lane's obsession with the anonymous girl in the black and white photograph

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Monday, June 11, 2012 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is still in use today and has been a very effective treatment. I've been fortunate to hear Carol Kivler speak about her experiences (www.carolkivler.com).

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Monday, June 11, 2012 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
Of course it is, not the point.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 7:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
This is a flowing forum so if someone posts under you it doesn't mean that they are commenting specifically on your post. I was sharing Carol's link as her story is very interesting. That was my point.

Truebritt

09-20-2006

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 9:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Truebritt a private message Print Post    
Very interesting link, Jenjackso. (Carrie Fisher also talks quite openly about her experiences with ECT and credits it with saving her.)

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
I was commenting on the male chauvinism that was so evident at the time and how well it is portrayed on this show, Jen, not argueing with you (which isn't allowed on this site if I read the Mods correctly).

Rslover

11-19-2002

Friday, February 15, 2013 - 10:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rslover a private message Print Post    
RETURNING APRIL 7 - 2HRS

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Less than 3 hours to go until the season premier! Can't wait, been counting down the hours all day.

Calamity

10-18-2001

Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 5:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Calamity a private message Print Post    
I think I remember what happened last season, it's been almost a year!

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
This was a shorter break than some other seasons, the final episode was in June. This morning starting at 6:00 AM the final 3 episodes of the last season were on, so I watched them as a refresher.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Oh Don!!

I was truly taken back with the ending of tonight's show - not that he did what he did but with who. I really like the Doc and I realize this is probably why he hoped Don didn't have a brain. I hope his character continues this season.

It was bugging me so much to try to figure out who the doc's wife was and then bingo - LA Law! Don't remember her name but I think she was on that show?!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 9:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
The doc's wife was played by Linda Cardellini, who was a regular for several seasons on "ER" (which was on the same network as L.A. Law).

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 11:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
Was it just me, or was this Mad Men more depressing than most? So much emphasis on death and mortality and aging. And then that young violinist runs away (where did she come from in the first place?).

About the only positive thing was Peggy rescuing the ad campaign.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 12:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
PS And where was Joan tonight? Was the actress busy elsewhere? I missed her!

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 5:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
Did I miss anyone stating what year this Christmas was?

I tried to figure it out from three clues I heard during the show:

1) Peggy was working on a Super Bowl ad. The first Super Bowl was in January, 1967, so the Christmas in this episode would have to be at least Christmas, 1967.

2) Don told the doctor he hoped the doctor would perform the first "American" heart transplant. The first heart transplant in the world was in South Africa in December, 1967 -- so it would have been a big topic of conversation during Christmas, 1967 -- while the first heart transplant by an American surgeon did not take place until April, 1969; so again, it appears it was Christmas, 1967.

3) But at the hotel bar in Hawaii, PFC Dinkins said something to Don to the effect of how glad he was to be in Vietnam during the past year, because of all the "violence" ("trouble"? "problems"?), at home during the past year. That made it sound like it might have been 1968, the year Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy were assassinated, and the year of the Chicago riots during the Democratic National Convention. So it might have been Christmas, 1968.

One last clue was that Johnson was still President, so it wasn't yet January, 1969 (when Nixon was sworn in). But you'd think that if the assassinations and the 1968 election already had occurred, soemone would have mentioned that on the show -- or mentioned Nixon.

Anyway -- three other thoughts:

1) Beth4freedom, I agree with you that the theme of last night's show was aging and mortality, and neither Don Draper nor his former wife Betty are handling it well.

First, Betty is so insecure about losing her looks that when her husband innocently complimented the talent of Sally's young friend, Betty offers to -- well, you all watched the show. Where did all THAT come from? (Flashback to Betty's father, Gene, and some questionable behavior he exhibited right before he died. And Betty's reluctance to talk about it when her daughter needed therapy.)

Meanwhile Don -- who was attracted to his current wife, Megan, because she was the opposite of Betty -- can't handle having a hip, pot-smoking, liberated woman with a career of her own, and heads right back to his comfort zone -- adultery with an "unavailable" married woman. And drinking too much. And smoking too much.

2) If this is 1967 or 1968, then Peggy is right about at the point in her career where Don was when she met him. And clearly, she is a rising star in the ad world, just like he was.

3) Pete is the character I feel sorriest for. He's a partner at a hugely successful ad agency (they now have at least two floors in the building!), but he can't stop sniping at Don. His jealousy is tangible -- you can see it.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Our local paper ran an article on Sunday saying that they were now up to 1967 for what that's worth.

Linda Cardellini - thanks Uncle Ricki!

Uncle_ricky

07-02-2007

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Uncle_ricky a private message Print Post    
It was definitely Chrismtas 1967 - New Year's Day 1968. Two football references confirmed that.

There was mention of "tickets to the Cotton Bowl game between Alabama and Texas A&M" -- those two teams played in the Cotton Bowl held on 1/1/68.

Later in the episode, when Peggy is on the phone, the person she's talking to asks her which two teams she thinks will meet in the Super Bowl. She replied (paraphrasing): "It'll be either Oakland or Houston against Green Bay." And as all Super Bowl junkies know, Green Bay slaughtered Oakland, 33 to 14, in Super Bowl II, held on 1/14/68.

(You're welcome, Kappy.)

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 12:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I wonder what happened on his trip to Hawaii that we didnt see. From the ad which looked like suicide, to his dislike of that soldier's lighter, Don seems to be affected by something on his vacation. Also seems as if he has been seeing the doctor's wife for awhile since the book he was reading on the beach was recommended by her.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
The soldier's lighter brought back strong memories of his own Don/Dick identity crisis which originated in the Korean war. It made me wonder 2 things about Don's lighter, which must have traveled back to Vietnam with the young soldier:
(1) What was inscribed on Don/Dick's lighter...did we get to see?? (2) Why would Don have still been carrying it? Since it seems he would prefer to erase the memories of this era.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Monday, April 08, 2013 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
Good questions! I didnt think about Don's lighter! I found a fascinating item from someone who gave last night's episode a lot of thought--esp the lighter...
http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/tv-zone-1.811968/mad-men-the-doorway-don-draper-dante-zippos-1.5028661