TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 05, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 05, 2013 users admin

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 6:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Awww, Mack. We all know how you feel. \therethere\

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 6:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I don't remember being this hooked on a show or series in ages if ever and certainly not through three seasons. There have been pieces and parts of shows like Grey's Anatomy but not like this. Now I have to wait nearly a year!!! Arghh........

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 6:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
If it helps, I'm glad you and your wife didn't know about Matthew - knowing in advance makes the last episode impossible to enjoy without an overriding feeling of dread.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 6:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
We both had snippets of foreknowledge of other parts of the show from mostly the first two seasons, though interestingly we'd read different blogs or articles so actually knew some things the other didn't, but were careful not to ruin it for one another. Matthew was totally out of the blue as we'd both stopped reading stuff so we'd be surprised....and we were.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 6:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I'm surprised you were able to avoid it, Mack - my neighbor looked up Julian Fellowes a few months ago to see what else he'd written and wound up getting spoiled on the season ender. She was enraged. I saw it in various places late last fall right after the British season ended, even though I wasn't looking for it at all.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 6:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Somehow, without telling each other, we both fell into this mode where if we saw anything at all that talked about or mentioned Downton Abbey we just stopped reading or listening. Carey's sister stopped talking about it...I mean they've known for ages with their British DVD's....so as not to ruin it for us. I even stopped reading through this thread just in case.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 7:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I, like others, knew in advance that Matthew was going to bite the big one; but not knowing how made the final episode a real nail-biter from beginning to end. I was sure he was going to get shot while on the deer hunt.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Well it really sucked but an interesting twist nonetheless. All of a sudden the whole money issue kind of straightens itself out in a way. With a son as heir the family now has control of the whole inheritance again unless there's some document or will yet to be discovered or exposed. On top of the money there was Robert saying Matthew had saved Downton Abbey with his reorganization of the way the estate did business. Now if they can just keep Robert from messing it up again.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 10:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I think with Tom managing the estate, things should go well.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Obviously Tom has a whole new and important role as the estate manager. Quite a change from being the chauffer and a bit of a political rebel to being the respectable manager of the estate. It's an interesting character growth and change in the show to see how he's developed. I noticed in one of the last episodes he even mentioned to Lady Mary or Cora that he'd like to stay in the main house with the baby rather than move into the manager's house. Getting a bit used to the good life though obviously better for the baby and the family.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 4:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I remember that Mack. I think he said that it would be better for the baby to grow up in the main house as he would be out of the house most of the day and that the baby would be better off being in the care of the nanny. Wonder if the two children would share one nanny and one nursery? I am wondering if Tom and Lady Mary would ever get together?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
The actress playing Mrs. Patmore the cook, is in tonight's ep of Once Upon a Time.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 6:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
The actress is Lesley Nicol.

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, March 04, 2013 - 5:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
We saw that Mameblanc though they killed her off in the show so unless there's some weird magic thingy going on she won't have a regular role.

On a different note, now that I'm allowing myself to read more details about Downton Abbey, I was a bit surprised Dan Stevens wanted out of the series. I suppose he wanted to move on to bigger and better roles. Julian Fellows did say that they considered having Matthew and Mary split, maybe through divorce or a separation of some kind, but decided to kill him off instead. As much as we hated to see the character die guess that's better than some lingering tension and dispute between Matthew and Mary.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, March 04, 2013 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
"We saw that Mameblanc though they killed her off in the show so unless there's some weird magic thingy going on she won't have a regular role."

I'm lost. What are you referring to, Mack? }

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, March 04, 2013 - 7:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Mameblanche mentioned Lesley Nicol, the actress who plays Mrs. Patmore on Downton Abbey, was in Once Upon a Time last night. I was commenting that it most probably won't be a lasting role since they also killed her off in the episode last night. . Sorry for the confusion.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, March 04, 2013 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
OG, see my 2 post above Mack's. Lesley Nicol was the guest star on Once Upon a Time for only one ep , and they killed her off. But no worries, as the cook on Downton Abbey, she's alive and well.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Monday, March 04, 2013 - 8:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I read that the actress who plays O'Brien is leaving the show and that Shirley Maclaine will be returning.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, March 04, 2013 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
I also read that O'Brien will be gone when the show resumes, I would have liked to have seen what caused her to go and I hope that it was because she was finally found out to be the evil that she really is.... :-)

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, March 04, 2013 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
In an interview taped during Season 2 the actress playing O'brien talked about the evil aspects of her character. She said that the cast and crew would jokingly boo and hiss between takes when she and the scheming Thomas were shooting their scenes.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, March 04, 2013 - 9:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Irsnappy don't be shy and demure........tell us how you really feel.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, March 04, 2013 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Thanks for 'splainin' Mack and Mame. Between O'Brien and Patmore i was getting lost. I get it now.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, March 04, 2013 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Spoiler regarding new cast member:

Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
Tom Cullen joins cast as romantic suiter for Mary (rest of article at link) Ya, I can see the temptation. LOL

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Rissa, I can still read the red ink through the spoiler box.

And about Mrs. Patmore on OUAT, I haven't watched it yet! Now I know she's dead!!! Ugh.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Uhoh! LOL Not sure how to change that, never put a link within a spoiler box before. Sorry!!