TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 22, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 22, 2013 users admin

Curlyq

07-10-2002

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 10:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curlyq a private message Print Post    
Agree with just about everything already said. Because I had read the spoiler here about Matthew leaving, I knew they'd be killing him off and like others I spent the whole show wondering if this was the scene where he would be killed.

As much as I find Mary's behavior toward Edith obnoxious and unnecessarily heartless, I do agree with her that Edith has a bad habit of latching on to men she can't have. She didn't seem too interested in that editor until Matthew agreed they had no hope for a future. Then suddenly she's in love. I don't think she or Mary are products of their environment. They just make lousy choices.

Did it sound like O'Brien might be trying to go off to India with that other couple? I did enjoy the scene where Moseley took her spiked drink and she shrugged it off as something he might actually benefit from. Poor Moseley always ends up making a fool of himself.

I'm glad Thomas finally made a friend other than O'Brien. Not sure who will rub off on whom in that arrangement, though. Jimmy has a dark side of his own, so he might just become Thomas's new partner in crime.

Is Rose the new Sybil? Seems like just when they got rid of the Sybil character they decide to bring in yet another young, female, get-with-the-times character to emphasize how quickly the culture was changing.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Curly, jimmy has a dark side? What am I missing?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 7:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 9:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
That's funny, Mame.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 11:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Mame, I just saw that on Facebook. I George Takei!!!

Maris

03-27-2002

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
very funny

Willsfan

09-04-2000

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 3:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willsfan a private message Print Post    
Good one Mame!

I really hope next season no one wants to ruin the show for everyone posting news about what they read because I am also one that kept waiting & waiting for Matthew to get sucked up in the marsh or fall down a hill and hit his head on a rock.
If I had not known about Matthew the end of the show would have completely shocked me. I would have fell out of my chair. NOT kidding. Not too many shows keep me as interested as this one.

O'Brien might want to get away from Bates & Thomas because of their knowledge of "her ladyships's soap". That might have scared her into wanting a change plus she said she had always wanted to travel.

Mary may not be as snarky as a mother & a widow, or she may get worse. She does have a sweet side but her character does snarky so well. I enjoy her barbs sometimes.

BTW Edith looked lovely in that turquoise dress & hat in the office scene where she confronted the editor about his marriage. (show was 2 wks ago I think) That color really suited her coloring.

Tntitanfan

08-03-2001

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
For those of you who enjoy Maggie Smith, you need to run - not walk! - to the theater nearest you showing "Quartet!" Her co-stars are excellent, and the supporting cast is amazing!

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Mame, love it.

Trixie

02-19-2013

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 6:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Trixie a private message Print Post    
I also watched the season finale` watching and waiting for Matthew's death because of the spoiler that was posted here a few weeks ago.

Anyhoo, can't wait to see what they have in store for us next season.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
DA final episode broke all PBS records for biggest onetime audience. This season as a whole PBS had ratings comparable to the network stations. At least that what I heard on the radio this morning.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Hm so that's why the super long infomercial.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I was listening to the radio this morning, and the DJ said that like other 49er fans, she was upset with them losing the Super Bowl; but she was more devastated by the season finale of Downton Abbey!

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
I don't know but even though I knew what was going to become of Matthew I got so mesmerized by the whole episode that I forgot about his passing and so simple me was surprised by his accident. lol

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
In our morning paper there was a great Q&A article with Julian Fellowes. When they put it online sometime today I'll try to remember to post it.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 9:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I found the column at the New York Times:
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/julian-fellowes-discusses-a-season-of-comings-and-goings-at-downton-abbey/?ref=daveitzkoff

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
that was a great article, thanks

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yes, thanks OG, that was terrific. :0

Willsfan

09-04-2000

Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willsfan a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the link OG.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Friday, February 22, 2013 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
I am glad that I wasn't aware of Matthew's upcoming demise. It would have changed the whole season for me. It was such a shock not knowing and made for good TV.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Friday, February 22, 2013 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Has Downton been spoofed on Saturday Night Live ?
How many months until Season IV ?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, February 22, 2013 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Marameko, yes it has. http://perezhilton.com/2012-02-06-saturday-night-live-parodies-itv-award-winning-series-downton-abbey#.USfQ6FdfIWc

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, February 22, 2013 - 1:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Mara, January probably unless Julian Fellowes can move the powers that be so we can watch along with the Brits.

Trixie

02-19-2013

Friday, February 22, 2013 - 1:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Trixie a private message Print Post    
Hummingbird - be happy you didn't see the spoiler posted here because it basically ruined the surprise ending for most of us.

Mara - I believe I read that it will air again in January 2014 in the US.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Friday, February 22, 2013 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
No offense intended but y'all need to ease up on the person who posted the spoiler. I am sure they meant no harm. As far as I can remember it just said he was not going to come back not that he was going to be killed off. If I remember correctly the same was said of Maggie Smith and she is coming back. Also, just because someone is not coming back does not mean they would die. Several actors have left series and were explained as going off to war.. etc.. and of course coming back with a new face :-).