TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 18, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 18, 2013 users admin

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 7:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
I can't wait to say this: Mary is a royal Bit_ _

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 8:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Don't care for the maid who is flirting hardcore with Branson

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
So much for a two hour finale...just wasted thirty minutes listening to PBS infomercial. Annoying.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yeah Rehtse, I was fuming about that danged infomercial.

But what an excellent 90 minute finale! I think I ran through every possible emotion. I have more to say but I'm worried about spoiling for the West Coasters, so I'll post more later.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 9:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
So sorry to see the season end, it was really the best season yet and like Mame I will wait till tomorrow to discuss but I will say just this.....wow it's was great....

Carlpsmom

01-03-2004

Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 10:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Carlpsmom a private message Print Post    
Saw Maggie Smith on 60 Minutes. It was great!

I read the detailed synopsis for tonight, so I will not discuss either.

Maris

03-27-2002

Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 11:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Mary is a horror

Jewels

09-22-2000

Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 11:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
Shouldn't have worried about spoiling, it pretty much already was when somebody posted not long ago that Mathew was leaving the show. :-( Loved the episode though, except for its shortness!

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 1:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Name, I did not want to believe it was "over" so I foolishly kept waiting for a little bit "more". <sigh> A year of waiting for season 4.

Beth4freedom

10-24-2003

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 3:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beth4freedom a private message Print Post    
I don't watch Downton Abbey, but I LOVE Maggie Smith and was fascinated to see her interview on 60 minutes Sunday night. It was amazing to see her "real self" out of period makeup. Favorite part was seeing her with friend and recent director Dustin Hoffman, two perfectionist actors together in work and friendship.

Willsfan

09-04-2000

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 8:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willsfan a private message Print Post    
Jewels, I was also very disappointed when someone posted that Dan Stevens who plays Matthew Crawley would not be back in season 4. I had tried so hard not to read anything about the show just so I wouldn't run into any spoilers.

As soon as I saw Matthew driving down that road I knew that was the end for him, there was no element of surprise or shock because someone here had speculated that he would either die or go away. I still felt sad though because I liked his character.

Loved the show and afterwards PBS replayed the show about the current residents of Highclere Castle, the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon. I had watched it before but it was fun to watch it again.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I wanted to come on here and tell everyone not to watch the last episode with the sense of dread that I did when I watched it a few weeks ago - but I couldn't really do that without totally spoiling the ending. I had a hard time enjoying the episode because I knew what was coming and worried over it. But I found the last 90 seconds of the show so much less traumatic than Sybil's death (I knew hers was coming too, but it was very difficult to watch).

I didn't catch the show last night, but will re-watch later in the week without sweating the ending. It seems to me that everything leading up to the last 90 seconds would have made a perfect ending for the show altogether, but I'd have been unhappy to lose Downton Abbey after just three seasons. Am looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 9:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think they probably had the decision about the Matthew character leaving after they filmed the show, because there were all those happy, end of season type scenes, then all of a sudden the car and the accident. I think they might have just added that in as a clean way to get rid of him.

Wish we could have had just the original ending!

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
thank goodness we can now discuss this...I have been waiting all night lol.
Just like everyone else I knew Matthew was leaving but I get so absorbed in each episode that I forget what I already know so I was saddened by his death.
Imagine, Sybil dies the day that daughter is born and then Matthew dies the day son is born....not a lot of luck in this family. I think this will give Tom a larger roll and I also think that if Edith finds happiness with this publisher guy Mary is going to be a real royal brat...watch out Edith....

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I'm pretty sure they knew he was leaving and went for the shocking ending. Although I am also one that knew it was coming.

Mary, true to form, was a bizzach again. And, did anyone else notice she was more excited that she bore him a son/heir than she was that she had a healthy, premature child? Her first words to Matthew were "Here is your son, your heir." and then she said "Downton has been saved" or something along that line. UGH, that woman is impossible.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 12:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yep, looks like they did have a lot of notice he wasn't going to renew. Just odd to see that little bit tagged on at the end, rather than the even built into the episode. Works for shock value though.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Just watched an episode of a show named Kingdom and Edith's old fiancé played a cross dresser. A bit jarring.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Just when the Crawley clan felt so happy again, there goes Matthew.. Chance of Mary finding a new suitor after a reasonable time of mourning will be interesting to watch! She's the type to stay 'down on love'.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Whole episode was spoiled for me cause I had read that Matthew wasn't returning for next season. I knew they would have to kill him off. Hard to keep these things a secret when the show airs so much earlier in the UK than it does here.

I don't see Mary as the rest of you do. I see her as Matthew does. She's a product of her environment. She will be heartbroken when she learns what has happened to Matthew. She may not feel the same way about the baby without Matthew to share it with. Just hated that they had to kill him off that way.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
I kept waiting for him to get shot or something bc I knew the end was coming.

In re maid Edna: what was her deal? I thought she was trying to hard to get in Branson's pants. In re Branson: he needs to gain some confidence so that he won't be snookered by every gold digging maid.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I know what you mean about Matthew's death, Rehtse! I kept waiting for him to get killed the whole episode. I thought he'd get killed in a shooting accident, drown while fishing or die in a terrible train crash. The whole episode was spoiled for me cause I knew he was going to die any minute. Just hated it!!!

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 6:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Lol...I was on death watch all evening. The cruel joke came at the end with the infomercial! I wish someone had spoiled that for me. Lol

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 6:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Me too, Rehtse and BJM... I was so anxious throughout the ep. Was he going to get shot, or fall into the water and drown while fishing, or hit by a meteor? I was on tenterhooks trying to figure out how they were going to 'off' him! Kinda ruined it for me.
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
I HATE SPOILERS!
We wouldn't have that problem if it aired simultaneously on both sides of the Atlantic!

So much good stuff last night. Anna learning to dance as a surprise for Bates and Mary. Loved how O'Brien met her doppleganger and outwitted her. Thomas as the anti-hero! Carson and the Baby! Like how Daisy and whatsername became friends. Mrs. Patmore and her, ahem, beau. etc etc etc.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Mane, I thought Crason and the baby was a cute scene. Thomas was a standup guy yesterday. Jimmy was nice to accept to be friends with him. Mrs. Crawler dodged the would be proposal with class.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Monday, February 18, 2013 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Lol, just noticed the iPad misspelled a lot of things in my prior post...