TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 13, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 13, 2013 users admin

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
All I have to say is WOW, it's going to take me days to digest tonight's show. I didn't know it's going to be 2 hours so that was a great surprise the rest was just WOW

Csnog

07-18-2002

Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 10:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
I thought so too Irsnappy.

The best episode EVER!

Riviere

09-09-2000

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 6:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Puzzling that only Mrs O'Brien and Thomas knew about the 'bar of soap' but I hope Anna can put it together! Happy ending for Bates...
What fun seeing Edith be pursued by her married boss! She seems to have a 'thing' for older men, yet she chooses those needing help in some way.
What sort of minor operation would Mary need to get pregnant? Seriously...
Daisy & Jimmy should get together and let the poison Ivy catch Alfred...

Maris

03-27-2002

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 7:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
wondering who will try to seduce Thomas. mmy bet it is the flapper cousin.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Well, if Mary's tubes were blocked, they'd need to be unblocked but I don't think they had the ultrasound equipment needed to diagnose that.

Maris

03-27-2002

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
cysts?

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Maybe fibroid tumors.

The actor who plays Thomas did a great job last night, and the sparring between the Dowager and Ms. Crawley was impeccable. You can tell they like each other in real life and have a good time being so snarky with each other.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I actually felt sorry for Thomas last night. I don't think that's ever happened before.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I started to 'like' Thomas a bit more, when he sobbed with grief in Anna's arms over Sybil's death. Even if I don't recall Sybil being particularly nicer to him than anyone else.

I was particularly confused at how Bates ended up working UNDER Thomas? That made no sense to me, especially since he prefers Bates to Thomas as human beings as well as an ally and a loyal servant.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 1:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I wasn't thrilled with that concept either. They could have made Thomas First Footman, Jimmy 2nd and done something different with Alfred...couldn't they have?

In any case, it was nice to see the Lord Grantham receive his cajones back. I don't know where they went, but by the end of last night's episode, he'd finally realized he lost them and made some solid decisions for the first time this season.

Willwillbee

09-20-2001

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
Mame, Bates doesn't work under Thomas but is now equal to Bates (which in Bates mind is higher than Thomas deserves)

If Thomas had gone back to his pre-valet job as first footman, it would have been essentially a demotion *and* a demotion to the now first footman and so on down. He was given the newly created position of under butler which was seen as a lateral move by the butler & lordship.

This was my favorite episode ever!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Gurlie and WillWillbee

Willwillbee

09-20-2001

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
PBS has this episode available online til 3/3 - I know I need to see it again

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/full-episodes/downton-abbey-season-3-episode-6/

Willwillbee

09-20-2001

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 6:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
I didn't notice before, but the whole season 3 is available online til 3/3

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but if you have comcast, they have all 3 seasons in on-demand right now.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Monday, February 11, 2013 - 11:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
I actually felt bad for Thomas and kinda liked him in this episode. o'Brien overplayed her card. It will be interesting to see how she tries to get back at Thomas. Also, she seems overly protective of her nephew, mama-grizzly-like...

Willsfan

09-04-2000

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 2:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willsfan a private message Print Post    
I couldn't believe Alfred called the police. I didn't like that at all, who knew he was so morally righteous.
Also couldn't believe the lord of the manor wanted to keep Thomas employed even after the cricket game. Might be interesting to see O'Brien & Thomas plot unfold.
(I was actually hoping to see the end of Thomas.)

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 6:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
I liked Thomas's simple dignity when he turned back to Mr. Carson (in Carsons's office), and said, "I am not foul."

And the costume designer for this series hit it out of the ballpark in the christening scene, when all the Downton women were in shades of lilac.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I'm thinking O'Brien goaded Alfred into calling the police.

This was the best 2 hours of DA since it began.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 5:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
O'Brian did, but back then a footman would never call the police without the permission of the Butler.
The butler is the head of the house downstairs and Alfred would have been fired on the spot.

Calling the police would bring attention to the owner of the estate.

Writers took liberties with that.

Willwillbee

09-20-2001

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 10:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
Daydreamer, all the women in shades of lilac struck me as odd. I can't imagine that being the only color allowed & I can't imagine (especially those 3) planning on all wearing the same color.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 3:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Another odd thing is that the earl would have a problem having his wife, mother, and daughters lunching at a house that employs a prostitute, but would not have an issue retaining - nay, promoting, a homosexual. Seems a but contradictory.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 3:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
However, watching with a sense of suspended reality, one of the bet DA episodes.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 3:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
After reading this :

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/tv_club/features/2013/
downton_abbey_season_3_recap_episode_guide_
and_review_for_episode_1/week_6/downton_abbey_season_3_
recap_episode_guide_and_review_for_episode_6_1.html

I feel that I stand corrected.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 4:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Nearly choked when Robert spoke of a gentleman named Ponzi who offered fast returns on large investments with huge profits!