TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 29, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 29, 2013 users admin

Maris

03-27-2002

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 6:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Maggie is perfect the way she is.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 6:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
oh so much to say about the above statements.
Mary and her father as the same person, very clever to see that.
What ever happened to Shirley McClain...so much was made of her visit and then really poof she was gone..
Matthew really is a "commoner" and Mary doesn't understand that kind of person, she is too high and mighty.
Remember when Edith was working on the farm and having a kiss with the guy in the barn...I think maybe she could have a chauffeur, after all she does seem to be a modern daughter.
Cora is such a wuse, she needs to stick up for Edith and just not make those twisted faces.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 6:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
If I were the folks at DA, I would tend to do the opposite of what Lord Gratham wants. Lord G is such a hypocrite as well. On the one hand he tells Robert he wants him to be a partner, but then he does not want him making decisions. Left to their own devises, they'll lose the ancestral home.

Also, the Anna and Bates storyline is a major snooze fest. I could really care less about them. Move it along.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 7:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Great quiz: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/quizzes/personality-quiz/which-downton-abbey-job-is-right-for-you/. I am o'Brien.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 7:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
I am Isobel Crawley...yea I think she is great, she always tries to do the charitable thing where anyone is concerned and after all she is the mother of the middle class Matthew. I think a show about her would be very interesting.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 7:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Rehtse, I think you meant to say Matthew, correct? Matthew is Mary's husband. Lord Grantham himself is Robert.

And they're just making him out to be a huge tool this season.

Maris

03-27-2002

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
The problem with Matthew for me is that he just doesn't have any leadership skills so it isn't credible that one week he doesn't want to take money to save Downton and the next week he is immersing himself in making the lands more productive with no apparent experience. Grantham is definitely not the sharpest knife in the drawer, like many royals, product of too much inbreeding. But I can understand his ambivalence towards Matthew.

I don't know why but Matthew's mother annoys me.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 8:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Isobel Crawley has a good heart, but she's very naive. She wants to go in and change people, and I don't think she has any idea what their lives are really like. She meant to do well by giving Edith a job, but she may have bitten off more than she can chew. Wait till Lord G finds out she's got a prostitute working in her house! What a scandal!

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
Yes, I got the name wrong.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
We have to remember that this was supposed to take place over months.

We see it weekly, but Lady Sybil was a few months pregnant one week and delivered the next.

Isn't Matthew a lawyer?

He is not so much a business man, but was told to pull his weight around the estate so he did the only thing he knew.

Looked at the books and probably looked over the estate which includes farms, homes, and apparently a town.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Oh, Maris...you're not the only one. I can't stand Matthew's mother. I watched again last night and I can't decide if it's the role or the actress, but she's annoying as all get-out.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I like that Isobel is a bit of a thorn in their side and marches to the beat of her own drum. LOL. Although I do hope that she doesn't end up in deep doodoo by helping Edith.

The actress was in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and her character was soooo unlikeable, it was hard to believe it was the same actress that I am so fond of in DA.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Maybe THAT'S why I don't like her! I never put two & two together. She was the witchy wife in that movie. OMG, you might have just shed light on my extreme dislike of that woman. Thank you for solving that mystery Mame.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
YVW Gurliegirl! :-)

Maris

03-27-2002

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
So she wants to help Edith and puts her in the kitchen to coo, something she has no clue how to do. Should have just hired her as a cleaning woman. Her do good behavior iis what annoys me. she forces herself into situations, decides what she thinks the solution is and everyone has to go along.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 12:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Lady Crawley is a flaming liberal and next she want the right for women to vote!

Csnog

07-18-2002

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
Maris, she was hired to help around the home and the cook refused to work with her in the house so she gave notice, thinking Isobel would back down, but she didn't.

That left no cook so (Ethel?) is left trying to cook.

Isobel seems to act first, then quite can't understand what went wrong.

I wonder where she receives her money to maintain the house comes from?

Could it be on and from funds provided from the mismanaged estate, when she and Matthew were summoned to come, after the first decided husband went down with the Titanic?

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I always assumed Isobel had income from her late husband's estate. She lives in a fairly modest house with few servants. Shouldn't have cost much back then.

I like the way she's a thorn in the rest of the family's side at times, but do think she gets involved in things she doesn't really understand. Like when she was trying to help the ladies of the evening, and they were mostly just laughing at her. Her heart's in the right place, most of the time.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
This is Maggie Smith at her very best which won her the Oscar for best actress. If you've never seen it, you should if you are a MS fan.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064840/

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMykqW9ibiY

Downton Arby's :-)

Scout

01-19-2005

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I loved "Downton Arby's"!

Roteach

06-01-2003

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
OMG Downton Arby's was too funny!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Terolyn, that was hilarious!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Loved it and posted it on my FB page. :-)

Carlpsmom

01-03-2004

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 9:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Carlpsmom a private message Print Post    
Have you seen the Breaking Bad parody of Downton Abbey?

Viewer discretion and all that

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/12/14/breaking_abbey_stephen_colbert_makes_breaking_bad_downton_abbey_mashup_video.html