TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 27, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 27, 2013 users admin

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Yes Scott I thought the same thing. I want to tell Edith "you go girl". The was a line that I knew I should have written it down at the time because now I don't remember what made me laugh out loud but I think Carson said it in the downstairs hall. Wanted the hr not to end

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
One of the best eps EVAH! IMHO. They moved the plot along, ticketyboo! Excellent. :-)

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Scout, I was coming here to type the exact same words.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 4:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Spot on with the Simon Baker reference for Jimmy (James). I kept thinking he looked like someone but couldn't place it.

Loved Edith beaming at Matthew's and Tom's praise. Go Edith!!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 4:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Edith rocks!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 5:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I thought Branson deserved the reaming of the century, and Sybil too for bringing a criminal into the family and expecting them to deal with it (I know, I know - revolutionary and whatnot. Don't care - he's an arsonist). Not sure I understood how Bates got back on the good side of the guards. Glad to see they're giving Edith a positive storyline.

Will be interesting to see how Matthew tiptoes through the minefield with Lord Robert over the mismanagement of the estate.

I think the new footman is Thomas' new love interest. He reminds me of Simon Baker as well. Had to laugh at Daisy and her reaction to her new foil in the kitchen. After all that kvetching about a new kitchen maid.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 6:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Branson is such a hypocrite. He hates the aristocracy of his own country and tries to burn them out of their homes, and then runs to a different aristocracy to protect him for doing it.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 7:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Loved the scene at the end with Mrs. Hughes and the toaster and the people running in with the sand buckets! Maris, thanks for the link to the CBS story. Dad's watching an NCIS rerun so I will watch the story now.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 7:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Maris, I saw that documentary a few weeks ago (I think I even recorded it). His Lordship needs to trim his nosehairs - it was distracting (particularly in high def). If he sneezed he'd look like a party favor. I was secretly wishing it would happen LOL.

Carlpsmom

01-03-2004

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Carlpsmom a private message Print Post    
I forgot to watch!

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Carlpsmom, the show repeats several times during the week or you can go to the PBS site and view it there.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 1:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I think I must be in the minority. I loved this show for the first 2 seasons. But, I am kind of bored with it so far. None of the story lines seem to interest me (except when Maggie Smith is on the screen - love her scenes).

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I had heard that story about the earl who financed the pillage of King Tut's tomb dying from the mosquito bite, but never dreamed it was the Earl of Highcleare Castle. Wow! Saw a special about that business about 20 years ago. What they did to King Tut was really horrific. Basically graverobbing and desecrating a corpse. It was handled very disrespectfully, but I know it was different times then.

I thought Thomas knew the new footman (Jimmy/James) when he came in and started talking to him, but then maybe he just thought he was cute and was flirting with him. I'd almost forgotten that side of him. Having a "homosexual" on the household staff was likely as scandalous as Mrs. Crawley's employment of a prostitute in that time. God bless Mrs. Crawley for trying to help, but I think she's pretty naive about the ramifications. My heart broke for Ethel giving up her little boy. He went very easily. My son would never have gotten in the car without me at that age!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I have to admit, Babyjax, that although I dislike the re-introduction of Ethel, the scene where her son went to his grandparents just about reduced me to tears. Kooklie, this season has not been as compelling as the past two, but I'm happy to stick with it in hopes of the resolution of crappy storylines (Bates - they make him out to be a nice character, and then he attracts the enmity of the worst sorts of humanity) and the introduction of new, more compelling post-Edwardian issues. I can never completely love or completely hate any of the characters. And the cinematography and costuming are LUSCIOUS. I just wish they could write for all the characters as distinctly as they write for Maggie Smith.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 21, 2013 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Oh, I watch and will continue to watch every week, but it just does not seem as satisfying as prior seasons.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
I found this on the net and said WHAT!!!!
But as Dan Stevens has announced his official departure from the series, Lady Mary will be left lonely and looking for love by the beginning of Season 4.

How can this be?????

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Well, Matthew will be departing in the Roaring 20's when women became a little more "free". It will be interesting to see what will happen to Lady Mary.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
The lines they give Matthew are so crappy, I can't blame him for deciding to move on after three years; they're like something from "Groundhog's Day." He's a Shakespearean and classics actor who's worked quite a bit on the stage (I think he's on Broadway right now in "The Heiress.") It's crummy of the show to kill him off - I'd rather he'd have said Mary's not doing it right and disappear into America to go all 50 Shades of Grey on some chick, but whatever. It will open up some new storylines, and I'd bet money Mary will have the heir underway by the time he's gone.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
OMG....I never saw this one coming. Wow

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
That was brutal.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Typing through tears here... I knew 'it' was coming, but didn't know when.

And please, if anyone has any info, at any time, in advance about the show, please put it in a spoiler box. That way those who want to know things in advance can peek, but those who don't won't be spoiled. I HATED knowing 'this' was coming, after reading it online elsewhere a while ago.

Rehtse

08-17-2005

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rehtse a private message Print Post    
I never saw it coming either. Heartbreaking.

I discovered Upstairs, Downstairs this past week. There are a lot of similarities to DA. I love both series, but I think UD was way better in many respects. Maggie Smith is by far the best part of DA.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 8:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
The three posts above about Matthew really, really need to be put into a spoiler box.

Mods, can those be removed or boxed or something? Granted, some of us know what happens in this season all the way through, but most people do not, so anything about episodes that haven't aired in the US really should be kept somewhere else. Someone's spoiling other peoples' fun.

About tonight's episode. It was awful and sad to watch even knowing what was coming. How heartbreaking for everyone in the house. Absolutely sad.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
Love this show and this was a sad episode. But I do find myself waiting for the theatrical music to play each time one of them makes a statement. It is almost becoming a parody of itself.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Sob :-(