TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 20, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 20, 2013 users admin

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
wow, so much going on. I never liked the Obrien/Thomas story but am enjoying them getting theirs now. Edith is NOT bad looking, why do they make her out to be such an ugly duckling?
I thought Matthew had inherited the house when the cousin died in the beginning???? I think this way they keep Matt and Mary in Downton. If Edith had moved away she could have been there as much as Maggie Smith who has her own house also.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I want to see Downtown parodied on SNL, that will be a hoot.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Irsnappy, Matthew only became first in line to inherited the manor after the present earl Robert dies.

1jetsfan

07-21-2010

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 12:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send 1jetsfan a private message Print Post    
I think Sir Anthony got cold feet because he prefers men.

Just sayin'..............

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Or maybe he heard about the Lord losing all of his $$ and how Mary was nagging Matthew about ponying up money to save Downton, he would have been next on the Dowager and Mary's list of who can save our house. That's enough to make anyone run!

My heart just broke for poor Edith and I was weeping right along with her over her humiliation. She just so desperately wants to be loved. I hope she lands a gorgeous wealthy Earl or Duke and shows them all

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 7:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I saw the Downton cast on Katie and Thomas' story line is going to get very interesting.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Oh goody, rubs hands in glee. He and O'Brien remind me of Boris and Natasha from the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. (wink) They're a hoot. Especially now that they are at odds!

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I've come around to being a little more sympathetic to Edith and did feel bad for her getting dumped at the altar like that. But let's not forget that it was Edith who put out the story about Mary and the Indian prince who died in her bed. She's the one who kept Mary and Matthew apart for so long. That was a really nasty thing to do to her own sister.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    

Marameko

07-14-2002

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Thanks for that reminder Babyjax somehow I did not recall that tidbit.

Scout

01-19-2005

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Babyjaxmom - I agree it was nasty (and I don't justify her actions), but Mary was pretty horrible to her in the beginning. She knew that Edith loved the first heir that Mary was supposed to marry, and she knew that Edith was attracted to Matthew, but she acted as though she could care less and was pretty taunting about it. No one seemed to care much about her feelings and it would be tough to be in this sister's shadow that the parents, the suitors and even the butler loved more.

It's actually kind of amazing how far Edith has come. She's thoughtful and supportive and always tries so hard to be nice - even to Mary. I just want something special to happen for her.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 12:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Apparently Lord Robert struck a bargain with Matthew to keep the estate, using the inherited wealth. Mary must be delirious! Matthew seems to resent his life of privilege though.
Edith probably should go to America to get over Anthony! Many young wealthy American men might appreciate having a bride with her class.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 3:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
And don't forget Mary's line to Edith outside the church. Something along the line of "We haven't gotten along in the past and I don't see that changing in the future, but I wish you happiness today" (Totally paraphrased). Mary is just awful to that poor girl. And if she's supposed to be playing the ugly sister, I don't get it. I think she's adorable.

Gldnlvr

08-03-2007

Friday, January 18, 2013 - 8:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gldnlvr a private message Print Post    
I hear so much about this show but have never watched it. Is it worth watching from the beginning? how many seasons have there been?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, January 18, 2013 - 9:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Best show on TV. IMHO. Quality programming, writing, and acting, etc etc.

3rd season just began a couple of weeks ago.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Friday, January 18, 2013 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Yes, Gldnlvr. Watch from the beginning. It won't take long to catch up.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, January 18, 2013 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Downton Abby is a wonderful, fun experience.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, January 18, 2013 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Gldnlvr, do yourself a favor and get seasons 1 and 2 from the library. Each season is like 7 episodes and a season-ending holiday special. The first episode will hook you, and the next thing you know you'll be hosting marathons for your friends. Try to watch them on your television as opposed to on your computer so you can get the full effect of the beautiful scenery and costuming.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, January 18, 2013 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Also if you have Amazon Prime, you may be able to get the episodes for free.

Kellsma

08-27-2002

Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellsma a private message Print Post    
Amazon Prime is what got me started watching it. Love it!

Maris

03-27-2002

Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Anyone catch the tour given by the current family this morning on CBS this morning. Maggie Smith would have had the vapors watching a woman in jeans giving a tour. but it was an interesting history of the current residents and their family.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Aw Maris, I missed it. I will have to check the website and see if they have the video. Darned football playoffs. I will have to watch Episode 3 at the PBS site tomorrow. Can't tell Dad that he can't watch his football. However, if he falls asleep, I change the channel!

Maris

03-27-2002

Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
lol Ro. It was a very interesting piece. The lord who existed at the time of the Downton abbey era, was actually very interesting. he financed the excavation of the King Tut tomb, never saw it excavated because he was bitten by a mosquito in Egypt, and cut himself while shaving, died of the infection in Egypt. fascinating stuff. In the old kitchens of the current Downton abbey they have a mini museum with actual artifacts dug up in egypt as well as a facscimilie of the King Tut mummy case.

The portrait of the king in the dinning room was painted by Van Dyk,

Maris

03-27-2002

Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 5:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
here you go Ro:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50139335n&tag=api

Scout

01-19-2005

Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
The new footman looks a lot like a young Simon Baker.