TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 15, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 15, 2013 users admin

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Woot! Also hip hip hooray! Dame Maggie Smith has won a Golden Globe for her role in Downton Abbey. Just read that on the Today Show page. Dame Maggie was not in attendance and in case anyone wants to know, she is 78 (according to the article).

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Poor Edith!! Just when I thought she was going to get some.

Maris

03-27-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 6:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Edith needs to go out and find herself a real man. Maybe she ought to check out the gamekeeper, I am sure that Downton has one.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 7:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I don't understand why everyone had such a problem with Sir Anthony's age? When Mary planned to marry Sir Richard, I don't remember them even mentioning an age difference. I don't know what ages they are supposed to be playing but in real life, there's only a four year difference. At the time, they seemed more concerned that Sir Richard was only a self-made man.

So here's Sir Anthony - someone who is actually nice to their daughter (unlike Richard), who is titled and wealthy, and fits all their class requirements, and he's dismissed because of age, and because of a bad arm? It was ridiculous the way they were making him out to be an invalid because of an arm. And even if he had been - they kept acting like Edith would be taking care of him. Did they forget about the army of servants who do all the real work?

It's not like Edith was going to have that many to choose from with the male population decimated by the war.
From everything I've always read, it seemed very common for an older man to marry a younger woman. Edith must feel a little like Jan Brady. Everything Mary does is fine, Sybil defies all conventions and marries the chauffeur and they rally to make an effort, but for Edith, they don't seem to even care all that much. Once Robert found out that Downton was going to be okay, Edith was pretty much dismissed with an "oh she will get over it".
Poor Edith. I hope something good comes her way.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Hopefully Edith will find true love with a nice man, be he her age or not. Frankly, Sir Anthony creeped me out. Not sure if it was the actor himself or just the character, but I was kind of glad he told her he couldn't do it.

And he wasn't happy. He kind of said as much. He was happy because she was happy, but he really didn't want her. She somewhat threw herself at him and he just went along with it to be nice. He's a very nice man, but Edith isn't what he wanted. He just couldn't say no because he didn't want to let her down. So, it kind of ticked me off that he waited until she was at the altar before he did finally let her down. He should have done it sooner.

She needs to put herself out there more and her family needs to put her out there as well (since that's how they did it in that time.)

I have to keep reminding myself that this is another place and another time and they did things differently in the 20's in England. So I'm trying not to to be too mad at Mary and her selfishness and Matthew's whatever you'd call it.

As for Carson, I have to remind myself they don't know what HIPAA is and that for me to say "it's none of your business" isn't something he'd think of back then. I personally think that Mrs. Hughes does indeed have cancer but had Mrs. Patmore say she didn't just to get him off her back.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I was COMPLETELY sideswiped by that putz dumping Edith. Never saw it coming and have mixed feelings about that. I've seen the odd spoiler about the show, but this came as a shock. She's my fave of the sisters, as I tend to root for beleagured underdogs.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Maybe Edith's the one who needs a good long vacation in the U.S. and to go all rodeo on some cowboy's hiney. It's not like she has a dowry anymore.

Maris, turning Edith in to a Lady Chatterly's lover type situation would only work on HBO I think LOL.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I am so ready to get Bates back to Downton (and to Anna). The prison storyline is getting old and going nowhere. He seems to have lost most of his limp these days.
Could anyone tell what the contraband was supposed to be that was planted in his bed?

I am also ready for Ethel to tell Mrs. Crawley something. Anything. How many times are they going to meet before we finally find out?

I loved the house that they thought they were going to downsize to.

Mameblanche - I root for the underdog, too, and feel like Edith has more potential than either of her sisters.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I agree with everything you just said Scout.

GAL...You're right. Send her to live with Grandma for a while in the States. She'll find someone here who will love her for who she is, not where she comes from. She's a doll.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 10:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
This year (or at least last nights episode)seems more like a poorly done soap opera.

Lady shows up.... no..I can't tell you..
Lady shows up.... no..I can't tell you..
Mrs. Crawley ..shows up.... no..I can't tell you..

Lady Mary rolls her eyes, Matthew looks distressed. etc.. etc..

And the Thomas thing is getting tiring too. Fire the jerk already... UGH.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Check out these pix from when the cast was in L.A. this Summer!

http://jimhalterman.com/news/photos-who-wore-the-free-bates-t-shirt-at-downton-abbey-tca-panel/

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Goddessatlaw said Ethel could:
"go all rodeo on some cowboy's hiney".

You are killing me here........

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Marameko, I sure hope they show it if she does LOL.

Mameblanche, it's weird seeing them all in modern styles.

Terrolyn, I agree that last night's episode wasn't awesome, although they at least dumped the Cindercrawley storyline and let them all be rich again. I'm guessing Matthew and Mary will take up residence in Downton Place for the time being.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yeah Gal, it sure is disconcerting.

Scout

01-19-2005

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I loved Carson's reaction to hearing the good news about Mrs. Hughes. He's like this big teddy bear you'd love to hug.

Different seeing the unholy duo at each other's throats this year. Thomas should definitely be watching his back. The good thing about them playing these tricks on each other is that it's pretty much win-win.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 1:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yeah, delicious good fun. I think that the dastardly duo will kiss and make up around the time that Bates is freed. (if and when) Cuz he is their main foil.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
A couple of things I noticed.

Edith still playing the nursemaid or helping hand role from the war time. Ready to marry anyone. The first time the "House" was about her.

The old guy's realization that there could be another heir to his fortune or maybe he had lost his also.
Seemed a bit hurried and not thought out except to maybe have Edith go in another direction to keep her in the storyline otherwise she would be living on his estate and she would have little storyline.

They are after all, throwing us into the modern society of change.

Thomas has dirt on O'Brian and will use it.

Not sure I want to see more of Ethel and her situation. This means she will be back.

I am on the Bates train...Get him out of there!

Looked like a cigar or something that was squashed into a crevice in the stone. How did he know to look in his own bed and not his cellmate? What that has to do with his storyline is beyond me.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I was a bit bored last night with the show. However, I did giggle at the county 'house' that they would have to move to if they sold Downton. That was a WOW house and they were such snobs about it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
CSNOG I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that the other prisoner who warned Bates about it, probably told him that his roomie planted something around the room to get him into trouble.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
The guard who was searching the cell only seemed to search Bates's bed. He seemed to know what he was looking for.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yeah, that's kind of what I was trying to say. ;) I think his cellmate planted something and then tried to frame him. Which would explain why they only stripped and checked Bates' bed.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 9:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Remember last week Mr. Bate's roommate got something from one of the guards. I think it may have been the mystery contraband. Not sure why it happened.

Curlyq

07-10-2002

Monday, January 14, 2013 - 11:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curlyq a private message Print Post    

quote:

Thomas has dirt on O'Brian and will use it.

Does he? I can't remember what dirt he has on her. Does he know she was the cause of Cora's miscarriage?

Csnog

07-18-2002

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 6:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
Yes he does.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 7:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
But he can't prove a thing. However, I think she has something on him that she will be able to prove.