TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 13, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 13, 2013 users admin

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
OG I was thinking of the daughter that was pregnant right now.(can't think of her name) If she has a son, would the son inherit? Probably not.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 10:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Kooklie, no. Downton Abbey is "entailed," which means it can only be inherited by a male. If Lord Grantham doesn't produce a son, then the estate goes to the next closest male relative. Grandchildren don't count. I learned about entailment from Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice).

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 7:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
But, if it's inherited by Matthew and Mary has a son, it's inherited by the son when Matthew dies.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Yes, but through Matthew, not Mary.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 10:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    

Csnog

07-18-2002

Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
Which is why Mary is needed to marry someone who has the money to keep the estate.

Mary could not inherit by law.

Lord Crawley sees his estate, especially Downton Abbey, as his lifes work.

The death of his male heir on the Titanic, meant that cousin Matthew was next in line.

Mary is Lord Crowleys means of keeping the home in the family and in that era, it is only inherited by a male.

If Mary married someone other than Matthew, she would not live in Downton, but in her new husbands estate.

Matthew marrying ment that his wife Lavina was to be the new mistress of Downton when Lord Crowley died, then Cora, if still alive, would be the lady dowager just like Maggie Smith is now.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 11:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Mary acts like a spoiled brat! Oh wait - she was raised that way...

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
The inside story of Britain’s biggest TV star – Highclere Castle

NEWBURY, ENGLAND — The Globe and Mail

There are normal problems, and rich people’s problems, and then there are aristocrats’ problems. “The blacksmith hasn’t turned up to shoe the horses, so I haven’t got a single horse with four shoes,” says Fiona, Countess of Carnarvon, chatelaine of Highclere Castle. “I can’t ride any of them.”

As she says this, she is lounging on a settee in a room that looks very familiar if you happen to be a fan of Downton Abbey . It was in this room, known to the Carnarvons as the “Salon,” where lame Matthew Crawley delivered this immortal line to his beloved, Lady Mary: “You are my stick.”

Highclere Castle, home to the eighth Earl of Carnarvon and his family, is the real Downton Abbey.

snip

http://tinyurl.com/btq7xbv

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Oh the poor dear.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 1:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
ROFLMBO Gurliegirl. I had the exact same reaction. Snicker.

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
How do you not have a single horse with four shoes? Don't you remove old ones and then put the new ones on? Why would her horses be all or partially shoeless?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 2:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Scoutie, she's obviously too busy doing interviews and hosting tourists. ;) ;)

Scout

01-19-2005

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 2:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
Well, aside from seeing her sad shoeless horses, I would love to tour the castle.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
LOL, yeah me too. High tea there would be a nice touch. Scones, anyone?

Roteach

06-01-2003

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I'd like a watercress sandwich with the crusts of my bread trimmed off please. That would be followed by a scone with clotted cream.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Typical me, I went straight for the dessert. heh heh

Willsfan

09-04-2000

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willsfan a private message Print Post    
I would love to tour Highclere Castle. I looked but have not yet found a virtual tour of the place. Someone said there was a site that showed every room that is on the tour. (possibly a PBS channel?)

Roteach

06-01-2003

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Go to PBS.org. I think you might find the tour there. It's probably linked to the Masterpiece/Downton Abbey part of the site.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Not sure about a virtual tour but the home (ha) has it's own website: Highclere Castle

Riviere

09-09-2000

Friday, January 11, 2013 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
True, and the 'castle' earns money from several commercial interests, such as this show. The title belongs to (I think) the Humphrey family. After WW1 it was reduced to less than 30 full staff, oh dear, but it survives with the legacy intact. The Highclere butler admires Carson!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 12:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Finally watched the premiere. What a hoot with Maggie and Shirley. I was cracking up. Maggie Smith has the best lines. I adore her.

Riviere

09-09-2000

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 8:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Heard the actor playing Matthew Crawley will not return for Season 4...

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
by that time Mary will have had a son and he of course will be the heir and they will all be comfortable again.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I'm wondering if Riviere's post should be in a spoiler box?

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I started watching a YouTube of an interview with two of the actors of DA. They were talking about the Christmas special. I decided after listening to a few minutes of it that I did not want to know what was going to happen so I closed out of the video. Not long until episode 2!