TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 09, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 09, 2013 users admin

Kep421

08-11-2001

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kep421 a private message Print Post    
I visited my in laws for christmas, and they are major nascar fans, with the tv permanetly set to SPEED.

Bored outta my gourd, I went to Netflix and stumbled upon Downton Abbey...season one. I started to watch it as I like british PBS and thought it would be a nice distraction...

WOW...where was I during the last two seasons??? I was hooked from the first episode.

Then the second season was shown in one day over New Year's weekend...and I was able to tape the entire second season.

I am SO INTO THIS SHOW...I love Maggie Smith...she is hilarious!!

I've taped the opener and get to watch it soon... I cannnot WAIT!!

BTW in my quest to learn more about this show, I found out a spoiler that may please some of you, but will upset others...I'm sorry I found out...but it appears from the postings here, it doesn't happen in the first episode!!

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Goddess, I don't agree with you on all your opinions on the characters but you made me laugh out loud when you said Matthew needs to grow a pair and then Mary needs to knee him in them, I just didn't expect that but I loved it....

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Well they do, and in that order LOL.

Kep, I was in the same boat - just started watching the show earlier this year on DVD. Got my mother hooked on season one before Thanksgiving, and she watched season two over the past 6 weeks. I already know a lot of what's happening in season 3, but didn't watch it online - I want to experience it in real time with everyone else this side of the pond.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 9:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I give Matthew a pass.... he has beautiful eyes.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I'm with GAL on Matthew. He's a wimp who does whatever his mother wants him to do. And his mother is hard to pin down. Some of her beliefs I agree with, others I don't. She's trying way too hard to be a commoner when she's not. She does need to cut the family some slack as they're used to what they have. However, Mary is way over the top in being used to what she has. She needs a good old fashioned spanking.

I have friends who die over Matthew too...I just don't see it.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Goddess said:.....

"Edith needs to get some, I really don't care from whom as long as it's not one of her relatives."

"I'm not looking forward to the re-introduction of what's-her-nut who got knocked up by the recuperating officer".

Maris

03-27-2002

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 8:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Matthews moral conflict about inheriting his dead fiancee's father' inheritance just doesn't hold water for me. Hello Matthew? You had no problem hopping on a train to grab an inheritance from a cousin who never heard of you because the only son died in a war. In fact, you grab the inheritance and worm your way into the family with your obnoxious do good mother. I just don't buy it.

I also would have admired Mary more if she had reminded him that Downtown was his obligation as the heir. Funny how the men aren't doing a thing to save the abbey while the women are launching a war to keep it. Very interesting.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Of course they are, they don't want to have to work.

Shocker76

05-24-2007

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Shocker76 a private message Print Post    
I've enjoyed watching the change in relationships with Branson, calling him "Tom" and having to deal with the coming Irish storm. I liked his alliance with Matthew and that his father-in-law has given him some much-needed respect. It would have been so hard to go from serving-class to almost nobility.

Holly

07-21-2001

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 12:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Does this show air any other night/day besides Sunday and early AM Monda? TIA

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
My station (I don't know if all PBSes are the same) only shows Sunday and Monday, but you can watch online:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-online/

Holly

07-21-2001

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 1:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
thanks, Kitt.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
In Boston, Channel 44 repeats on Tuesday at 9. I somehow remember that one of the two stations has a Friday rerun also. I'd go with the online viewing as you can watch it at your leisure.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
I find it a bit surprising how Fellowes has depicted Lord Grantham as such a dolt and the rest of the aristocracy not much better, since he wanted his wife to be Lady Kitchener and he's got his own title, too.

Robert blew all the money he got from his marriage by making an investment he was advised against, and then he wants Matthew to do the same. He actually thought that he was getting a real commission during the war, and when he found out it was honorary, he spent the war wearing his uniform, sulking in the library.

They've still got that pile somewhere in the north, couldn't he sell that? Then there's Matthew being a complete ass over the inheritance, and the dowager who thinks she knows everything--like not wanting the farmer to get the new treatment. Mary does absolutely nothing.

Great fun for us, though.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Quick FYI - Thomas Howes (played Daisy's poor besotted William Mason) will be playing a young Winston Churchill on Murdoch Mysteries next week.

Willsfan

09-04-2000

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willsfan a private message Print Post    
Matthew is acting way too righteous about the money. Righteous people usually end up being the worst sort.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Edith marries and saves the family home?

I think Daisy might be attracted to Albert. She's young & it's only natural she would look at available young men.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
Back in the day it was the oldest who was responsible, and that would be whoever Mary married.

The other girls were raised to not think they had any part of keeping the titled property.

They were left to marry someone else who had property.

That leaves it to Mary and Maggie Smith to keep the family estate, which they will somehow.

Matthew will cave because he will have to.

While Shirley MacLain made it clear she lives rich but on an allowance and is not allowed to touch the principal.

Did it ever come out where the original money from Cora came from?

They seem to be skirting the money part except to be a problem thrown in that they need to overcome.

I'm so tired of Bates being in jail...Let him out!

Curlyq

07-10-2002

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 11:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Curlyq a private message Print Post    
I must be the only person who was glad Matthew didn't want to take the money he inherited from poor, dead Lavinia's father. How tacky of Mary to even suggest it, much less have a tantrum and nearly make the marriage hinge on it. Her sense of entitlement to other people's money is astounding. She still keeps treating Matthew as just a meal ticket. Her father screws up, but Matthew has to take the blame for "destroying" the family.

I was a little disappointed in the MacLaine character because she seemed to just keep saying "I'm an American. You people are so stuffy and bent on tradition, and you need me to show you how to change. Did I mention I'm an American?" I've gotten a bit used to Americans being portrayed in cringe-worthy ways on British TV shows, but I guess I'd hoped for better from a show of this caliber. I did like the way she took up for Edith, though.

I hope they get Bates out of jail soon, before something happens with that cellmate of his.

What's the friction between O'Brien and Molesley? She kept giving him the stink eye.

My favorite line of the show was when Lord Oblivious asked Thomas "Are you not popular downstairs?"

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 6:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
Curly, my favorite line was when Countess Cora said to her daughter, Lady Mary (who was carrying on about losing Downton), "if it happens then we'll move to a smaller house with less of an estate; we're not going down the mines."

Maris

03-27-2002

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 8:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
My favorite line, nothing says success like excess

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
LMAO Curlyq, you just literally made me laugh out loud with "Lord Oblivious."

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 9:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Well of course "Lord Oblivious" wouldn't know whether Thomas is popular downstairs. He only knows what Carson tells him. He doesn't see their interactions.

I rewatched the season 2 finale before I watched the new episode. I hated when Thomas hid Isis from Lord Robert. I was so afraid she wasn't going to come back. What a self-centered jerk he is. I'm so glad O'Brien put him in his place over his treatment of her nephew. And he does so remind me of poor William. Maybe he and Daisy will hit it off.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I'm curious, if Lord Grantham did not have a son, but his daughter produces a son.... would Lord Grantham's grandson inherit before Matthew?

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Kooklie, my guess is, no. But Matthew's son would inherit from him. However, with all those odd British laws anything could happen.

Scout

01-19-2005

Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
What's the friction between O'Brien and Molesley? She kept giving him the stink eye.

O'Brien wants her nephew to get the job as valet, and doesn't want Molesley horning in.

So happy this show is back again. I look forward to this show more than any other.
I adore Mrs. Patmore. Her sarcastic one-liners are second only to Maggie Smith's. Didn't care for at the very beginning when she was so mean to poor Daisy, but she changed considerably after her operation. Glad to see her returning the support she received to Mrs. Hughes.