TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 07, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through January 07, 2013 users admin

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, December 31, 2012 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I'm bouncing in my seat in anticipation! The DVR is all programmed up.

Kellsma

08-27-2002

Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellsma a private message Print Post    
I got amazon prime and a roku and watched season 1 and 2 in 2 days. All caught up waiting for season 3

Roteach

06-01-2003

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
PBS.com has the first ten minutes of Season 3 available for viewing. A lot happens in 10 minutes! Sunday can't come too soon for me!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Downton Abbey' Star To Visit 'Once Upon A Time'

"Once Upon a Time" already boasts a menagerie of fabulous accents, but the ABC drama has turned to "Downton Abbey" for its latest dose of British charm. Lesley Nicol, who plays the indomitable cook Mrs. Patmore on the hit UK series, will guest star in Episode 15 of Season 2. According to showrunners Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis, Nicol's character "has a connection to Snow White and her family."

snip

"Once Upon a Time" returns this Sunday, January 6 at 8 p.m. Est on ABC. "Downton Abbey" Season 3 premieres Sunday, January 6 at 9 p.m.
on PBS ยป

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni44042380/

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Season 3 Premier tonight!!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 11:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yeah Gal, I'm so excited...

Marameko

07-14-2002

Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I am excited as well, saw a show on PBS where you can visit where the show is filmed.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Marameko, you bat me to it. I was just going to post that. Tonight's the night and I've already informed my father that Sunday night is MY TV night.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 10:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed the Season 3 opener and very much look forward to next week! Shirley Maclaine as Martha Levevson was wonderful fodder for and against Maggie Smiths Doweger Countess Violet. I'm happy Mary & Matthew were wed, would have liked to have seen the ceremony and reception. I do hope Edith finds true happiness and love.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 11:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Excellent ep. Hope that's not the last we see of Shirley. Loved the simple elegance of the wedding gown.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 6:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
Well that 2 hr. episode certainly didn't disappoint.
I love all the talk of change and accepting it when it comes. I guess Cora seems excepting because she is American and has had major changes by moving to England already but Mary seemed like such a snob. So happy Edith stood up for herself and loved that Thomas got his about the shirts. So much going on....

Maris

03-27-2002

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Nothing spells success like excess --- LOVED IT

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 8:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
3 snaps and a circle............Roteach you made sure you had the Tv ! I ended up falling asleep after a busy day but had the DVR set.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 8:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Oh boy are those girls vastly different from each other. One is a complete and utter snob, one is the exact opposite, and one is after someone who could be her creepy father. I think of the three, Edith is the most normal yet she's the most overlooked by her parents. No dysfunction in that family...nope, none at all. LOL.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 10:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
I wonder what it's like to play a part of an unattractive woman, with the others constantly pointing it out. Besides, Laura Carmichael might not be a stunning beauty, but she's certainly attractive enough to have a beau.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Has Shirley MacLaine had a stroke in recent years or something? Her lines seemed slurred and she wasn't as sharp as I was expecting (I didn't think the writing for her was particularly awesome, either). I know, I know - she's 77 or so (doesn't seem possible), but so is Maggie Smith and her delivery is crisp as can be. I found the issue pronounced enough to be distracting.

Great episode. Looking forward to the rest of the season (as long as they don't have Andrew repeating himself anymore about why he won't keep the money). I liked the documentary on Highclere as well.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Do you mean Matthew GAL?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 12:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Luv the fact Thomas and his partner in crime, whatzername, are now at odds. Delicious. And her nephew reminds me of the sweet young manservant who died (he was married on his deathbed).

Maris

03-27-2002

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
I think the reason the dialogue for Shirley is so weak is because being a British production it is probably easy to tap into the culture to develop the dowager candidate of Maggie Smith but to create a turn of the century woman takes more work. I think the Kathy Bates characterization of Molly Brown would have been a perfect characterization. Hoping Shirley sticks with it and doesn't get bored.

I have to say I love the show but really don't like many of the "upstairs" characters.

Mary is annoying, spoilt, not much to admire
Matthew- shut up already and spend the money
Edith is very sympathetic character

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 1:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Maramako, I did have the TV! I found that if there is a night that I do not have the TV or if I want to rewatch an episode, I have Amazon Prime and can watch the episode the next day. I will have to find out the wait for Fox shows. I hate going to their site and have to wait 8 days for an episode.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I also much prefer the downstairs characters to the upstairs ones. But without the upstairs, there would be no downstairs. ;)

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I thought Shirley MacLaine was not used properly or enough in the first part of the show. It wasn't until Mary and Maggie Smith tried to coerce her into saving Downton, that she seemed to come into her own in the part.... not to mention they finally gave her more to say that a very short sentence mocking someone. Then, I saw the Shirley MacLaine that I was expecting all along.

I was a bit distracted by the makeup they put her in. It might have been the fight makeup for the times, but seemed a bit heavy handed to me.

All in all, the 2 hours went quickly.

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
Maris, I agree with all of what you say. I think right now my favorite upstairs characters are Edith & Cora.

Downstairs I loved Daisy's work stoppage and was thrilled that O'Brien & Thomas are going at each other. Would love to see O'Brien get her come-uppance after the incident she pulled that caused Cora to lose the baby.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Yup, I meant Matthew, thanks Gurlie!!

I'm with Maris. "Shut up already and spend the money."

Of the upstairs characters, I'm rooting for Lord Crawley and Edith. And of course Maggie Smith rocks out. Elizabeth McGovern is out-acted by just about everyone in this production - I find her delivery mannered and not particularly believable (I like her just fine as an actress, but not in this part - you always know she's delivering lines, whereas everyone else seems to be living their parts). Don't care for Sybil or her chauffeur, she lost me when she ran off with him. I actually experienced schadenfreude with how beat down and ordinary she looked last night.

Edith needs to get some, I really don't care from whom as long as it's not one of her relatives. I'm hoping she out-marries Mary and rubs it in for awhile.

Downstairs - Daisy annoys the crap out of me; I like the new Thomas/Miss O'Brien story arc, and the new Footman is good so far. I'm not looking forward to the re-introduction of what's-her-nut who got knocked up by the recuperating officer. Bates and Anna have worn me out - I'm not a fan of their storyline, and Bates is just infuriating with his refusal to run the bus over anyone who's set him up. Hopefully they'll spring him soon so we can move on from that situation. I'm not watching this show to see the inside of a prison cell.

Matthew and his mother - I'm up in the air on the mother. Matthew needs to grow up and grow a pair. And Mary needs to knee him in his pair when he gets them.

Amen.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Monday, January 07, 2013 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Loved every minute of it and plan on re-watching it again to pick up those wonderful lines the Dowager had at the dinner table about the drunk grandson-in-law and how one should know the departure date of a guest before they even arrive. Maggie had some great zingers last night!

Poor Ms. Hughes, I am afraid it is going to be cancer. It will be very informative (and heartbreaking) to see how they handled breast cancer back then.

And will there be a love triangle between Daisy, Reed (who looks like she could be a Middleton), and the new footman? Daisy kept catching them everytime they kissed.