TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 25, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 25, 2012 users admin

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Monday, April 02, 2012 - 5:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
This is completely uneducated, but I *think* I heard somewhere that in Great Britian, they pay a tax or fee or something that goes directly to the Royal Family. If that's true, it could be something along that line with this family as well.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, April 02, 2012 - 6:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I think the British Public pays a tax on their TV's. I don't know if it goes to the Royal Family or to the Royal Treasury.

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Monday, April 02, 2012 - 6:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
G-At-L, I don't know if it's still true today, but in the 1800's and 1900's the nobles (and "gentlemen"), who owned houses like this earned most of their income from farm rents.

The farmers who rented the land would pay either in coin after the harvest was sold, or would tithe a portion of the harvest. (This was true in Ireland, too.) There was always a farm manager to collect the rents.

The landowner typically rented not just the plot of land, but also the house the farmer's family lived in. It was up to the landowner to maintain the houses.

My guess for today, however, is that an interest-earning lump sum in a trust fund pays for most of the upkeep of any great houses that are still privately held.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It says that Highclere is owned by the Earl of Carnarvon, so they probably have family money to support it, or tourism money. No tax money is used to support independently owned buildings.

On the subject of the tv cost, in the UK there's a license fee you have to pay if you own a tv (even if you profess to only use it to pay dvds). The money collected (about $200 per household!) goes to the BBC tv and radio stations and to support some of the tv services like their recent change to digital tv. I think it also helps play for the iPlayer (the hulu-like thing for BBC programs). That's how all the BBC services (including) iplayer can be commercial free.

Eroica

07-28-2005

Monday, April 16, 2012 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Eroica a private message Print Post    
Hopefully this does not come about.

Is Dame Maggie Smith leaving "Downton Abbey?" According to The Daily Mail, Smith told "Downton" writer Julian Fellowes that she wants Season 3 to be her last. Although, the paper reports that he has persuaded her to do the Christmas special following the third season.

The Daily Mail's source claims that Smith has asked to be written out of the show, saying that the veteran actress would like to go out on a high note after three seasons. "‘She is filming until August and then wants to leave," the source told the U.K. newspaper. "She thinks that three series is enough, and she wants to get back to the stage and big screen."

For some "Downton Abbey" fans, this news may sound troubling, especially after "Masterpiece Theater" executive producer Rebecca Eaton revealed a few shocking Season 3 spoilers. Eaton said somebody will die. "[S]omebody pretty key in the cast, [is] unfortunately not going to make it," she said. "It's the 1920s now."

This isn't the first time there have been reports surrounding Smith's departure from the "Abbey."

In March, U.K. tabloid The Mirror reported that the show's feisty Dowager Countess and the "Abbey's" resident heartthrob Matt Crawley may not be returning to the estate for Seasons 4 and 5, as the two had yet to sign new contracts.

Mimi

04-30-2009

Monday, April 16, 2012 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mimi a private message Print Post    
The dead Mrs. Bates was in the Titanic mini-series that aired here recently (Canada). It starts in the states this week I believe. Anyways, her character is about as nasty as the one in Downtown.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, April 16, 2012 - 4:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
You are correct, Mimi. She is Maria Doyle Kennedy, aka Vera Bates.

Sia

03-10-2002

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
Will have to try and see the second season; I watched the first one for see as part of my Amazon Prime Membership, which allows for unlimited viewing of certain TV episodes movies. Loved Season One.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Sia, it held up well through the second season. Do watch it.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 1:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
I thought they did an amazing job with WWI and the changes in society and dress.... love to see the roaring 20s

1jetsfan

07-21-2010

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 11:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send 1jetsfan a private message Print Post    
I purchased Season 1 and 2 dvds, and watched the entire series over 5 nights last week!

I am hooked! Cannot wait for January.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
It does tend to get to one.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I am soooo lucky that here in Canada, Vision TV has rerun the complete 1st and 2nd seasons every Wednesday evening. I finally got a chance to watch it and love it. I am especially drawn to the Bates' storyline. The actor who plays Bates looks an awful lot like my dad did! And the new Mrs. Bates is one of my fave characters on the show. :-)

Roteach

06-01-2003

Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 6:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Hooray. Lots of Emmy noms for Downton! Best drama series and a slew of actors-Lady Mary, Lord Grantleigh, Maggie Smith's charcater, Anna, Bates and Mr.---- the other main butler. Should have written the names down. Emmy's.com has a complete list of the nominations. Later today I will go back and write down the actors' names/characters properly.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Here ya go, Ro! :-) Congratulations to Michelle Dockery, Hugh Bonneville, Maggie Smith, Joanne Froggatt, Brendan Coyle and Jim Carter on their Emmy nominations!

Roteach

06-01-2003

Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Thanks Mame. The heat has done me in. This is the first nice weather day in over a week and I am weary. I need a nap.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Oh me too, Ro! Cuz we FINALLY have cooler weather, I'm doing 5 (!) loads of laundry today to catch up, It's been too danged HOT & HUMID to do anything more than flop on the sofa for the past several days!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

I bought this book a couple of days ago, as a treat to myself.

http://www.amazon.ca/World-Downton-Abbey-Jessica-Fellowes/dp/1250006341

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
But it's not on Kindle! (Probably because it contains a lot of pictures.)

Rieann

08-26-2006

Friday, July 20, 2012 - 12:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Congratulations to Michelle Dockery, Hugh Bonneville, Maggie Smith, Joanne Froggatt, Brendan Coyle and Jim Carter on their Emmy nominations!

So happy for them!

(I have a wee crush on Hugh Bonneville)

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Monday, July 23, 2012 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Mame, I have that book and love it! That was a very good treat for yourself.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
BC, I HOPE after the next season or two they'll have a companion book to this one.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    

Season 3 cast pic with Shirley Maclaine.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Mame, isn't it interesting that with such a large cast how well we know these characters?