TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 01, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 01, 2012 users admin

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Friday, February 24, 2012 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
Thanks for clearing that up. Daydreamer called Carlisle "Robert Sinclair" and we ran with it. Now I remember.

Mimi

04-30-2009

Friday, February 24, 2012 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mimi a private message Print Post    
Whoops! Yeah I meant Carlisle.

Cricket

08-05-2002

Friday, February 24, 2012 - 10:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cricket a private message Print Post    
Daydreamer, I so hope your husband's theory is right. That would be worth watching if he replaces Mr. Bates in jail. He is not a nice character. The way he wanted complete control of Mary was scary.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Has anyone posted this already? Season 3 is currently filming and Shirley MacLaine will be playing Cora's mother.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 1:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
My DH (who lives to guess the ending of detective shows/movies/books before they end), believes Sir Robert Sinclair killed Mrs. Bates (or had her killed), beccause he already paid oher off to keep her mouth shut about Lady Mary, and now she was threatening to spill the beans again. (Remember, Sinclair had warned Mrs. Bates not to double-cross him.)

I think that is too obvious. My first thought was that mrs bates suddenly realized that she was completely and utterly screwed due to her only trump (mary's story) card being suppressed by the Newspaper guy. IF he himself killed her, i think that the body would have gone missing. I think she did commit suicide but wanted it to look like her husband did it.

OH and mary is going to have to suck back Up to him because he will be witness FOR Mr Bates new trial. after all, he could give a legitimate and believeable motive for why Mrs Bates did herself in.

I am probably the only one who thought the End of Episode proposal was corny and ruins the set up for next season. it cant all be sunshine and roses ( or wisps of Snow falling while she wears a Sleeveless flimsy dress all teh while seeming not cold at all)

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 9:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Don't hold back, Sun, tells us how you really feel.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
I agree about the ending, Sunshyne. I was waiting for flying unicorns to show up.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
Remember that they had already filmed season 2 and had no idea that there was to be another season.

The writers may have thought that the Bates storyline of life in prison was enough but viewers needed an ending for the family title to continue so a fairytale ending was given.

There is a 3rd season because of the U.S. impact.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I've only seen the very first 2 eps on Vision TV over the past couple of week and I just love this show. I wish it were a daily show, waiting a week for each ep is TORTURE! LOL. Also, staying out of this thread mainly because I do NOT want any spoilers.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 1:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
i disagree that the usa can take credit.

we knew that there was going to be another season before this one had even aired.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 6:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Sun, we know that was true before it aired in the US, but are you saying the the 3rd season was locked in before it was aired in England? I don't believe I remember it that way.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
But Sun the airing was over in the UK and the critics panned the second season and viewership was down.

It was being shown here in the States when they were asked for another season and were elated because the Americans loved the series.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Series 3 was okayed back last year just after or towards the end of Season 2 airing there, and before Season 2 had aired in the US (and before Season 1 got much buzz here). I think the success of the first series virtually confirmed the third series, and they didn't much worry about season two ratings (which I think were still very high in the UK, despite the moans about plotlines).

I watched the three episodes of Upstairs Downstairs (new version) season one, but it didn't hook me. I didn't like the political stuff.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Just read the cast have been approached to stay on through seasons four and five if they are renewed (and most have agreed) so they are obviously on a roll now!

Roteach

06-01-2003

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
@Kitt, I say Woo Hoo to that! I was hooked on the original Upstairs Downstairs and eagerly watched the new version and I am now hooked on DA!

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Friday, March 02, 2012 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
yep and i watched UK tv but didnt want to watch Downton Online...... so i know i'm right LOL

thx kitt for the clarification

Gurliegirl

06-20-2006

Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 8:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gurliegirl a private message Print Post    
I watched the entire first two seasons in the last 7 days. Loved it. But now I probably have to wait a year. I'm going to be having Downton Withdrawls this weekend.

Rieann

08-26-2006

Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 1:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
FYI

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/02/titanic-julian-fellowes-abc-special_n_1316170.html?ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment

This will give us a Julian Fellowes fix until season three. One thing I love about Fellowes is his dry humor... Maggie Smith lines in Downton and Gosford... I doubt there will be humor in Titanic. Leave it to him to pull it off though. lol

Roteach

06-01-2003

Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Loved Sir Jullian as Killwillie in Monarch of the Glen. All of these beautifully shot BBC/ITV whatever network shows are great for tourism also. I'd really like to visit all of those stately homes.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 5:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
I still like the idea that Carlyle had Mrs. Bates murdered. I don't think it is all that obvious. It took Dayrdreamers husband to bring it to our attention. We need another reason to dislike the scoundrel. People on this thread are still feeling sorry for him.

As for the proposal -- it took two seasons of sexual tension between them. I don't think I could have taken a third. I WAS thinking, "Mary, put on a coat!"

Rieann

08-26-2006

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 12:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2012/03/06/are-dame-maggie-smith-and-dan-stevens-moving-out-of-downton-abbey/

I'm glad they are in for season three. I really hope they sign on for four and five.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
MUST-HAVE-MAGGIE-SMITH!!!

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 8:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I am just finishing watching the first season on DVD, so I haven't read through this thread (which starts with season 2 - I DON'T want to be spoiled). Love, love, love, love this series. Maggie Smith has had me in hysterics, what a great part for her. The house is a marvel, Colossus has particularly been struck with the old-growth trees.

Have Season 2 on order, but will go back and re-watch Season 1 with my headphones on so I catch all the dialogue (it's tough watching it with Colossus from the television speakers - the accent makes it hard to catch the dialogue a sometimes).

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
sometimes i flip on the Closed Caption so i'm sure i'm hearing correctly.
but ordinarily i dont have it on UNLESS i really cant figure out what they are saying. Allllll the various Accents

btw its a Castle technically not a house. its a real place with TONS of land and the public can use some of it for walks etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highclere_Castle

Since 1679 the castle has been home to the Carnarvon family.

can u imagine??? i bet the old school 'inheritance' rules still exist in that family. I dont even KNOW my ancestors going back to 1600s let alone some fancy castle##

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
I don't understand how a castle like this supports itself as an industry (I know in the show Mom's inheritance and whatever, but with entire villages springing up, maintenance, and wages/room/board for the staff, how does the money not always eventually run out?) Tourism can't account for everything these days. Do they have wineries, farm, or what? I think many castles like these have subsumed into the National Trust but it seems like some remain independent. Anyone?