TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 23, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: The View: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 23, 2012 users admin

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Lol. I guess so Karuuna. Since you lean left in
Your beliefs.
Joy is just sooo predictable. Every great once
In awhile EH will surprise me.
Actually I think Bill Getty is conservative that's why I
Don't understand why he doesn't school EH a little
Better before she goes out.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Honestly, Lakecat, I do find some conservative commentators to be very intelligent, and not at all mean-spirited.

But I don't see that at Fox News so much. Hannity, O'Reilly, (Palin and EH for a while), Michelle Malkin? These people are just mean. The biggest lie of course is "fair and balanced." Clearly not.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
I don't understand why anyone watches Fox News. Why would you watch something that makes you angry, dumber, frustrated, meaner, and misinforms you. Even to watch it to see what they say, to me, is just odd. (this is not directed at anyone in particular here.)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Good question, Escapee. I watch to 'be informed' and to do the best I can to understand the other side of issues. Because MSNBC certainly doesn't do well at it, and while CNN is better, it still doesn't really capture the strongly conservative viewpoint. So how would I know what that is, if I didn't watch Fox occasionally? Because I do care.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
IS Fox the only conservative outlet? Tsk and sad if that's true.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 3:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
There are three major news stations: CNN, MSNBC, and FOX. MSNBC is clearly left-leaning. FOX is clearly right. And CNN is a little left of center.

At least that's how I see it.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 4:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I think the main news channels NBC CBS ABC are a little
To the left. That is why they say FOX is Fair and Balanced.
Not necessarily that their reporting is fair and balanced. But that they are being fair to the conservative side and trying to make it more balanced with their reporting. Plus FOX has way
More commentators that are liberal to chime in than the
Other stations have conservative commentators.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 6:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Lakecat, that may be your interpretation, but their advertising clearly states that they feel they are equally presenting *all* views, and of course they are not.

I used to love Crossfire on CNN, where they had a true (and intelligent conservative) and a liberal to truly present more views of an issue. Oddly enough it didn't do well in the ratings.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I have to say my most annoyed minutes in this past month with EH was when she was defending Romney's tax rate of 13-something percent. She went on and on about how that he shouldn't be taxed any higher because he is already being taxed twice for his income. HAHAHA. She was trying to say money you make from money should not be taxed at a wage rate.

I was glad someone reminded her that retirees pay a LARGE tax again on money they already made.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
Invested income IS taxed at a lower rate than earned income. If it wasn't set up this way, no one would invest. The tax law is the same for everyone whose main income is from interest, not just Mitt Romney. Why should Mitt Pay more than the law asks of him. Mitt also tithes to his church and gives generously to charity. He is a multi-millionaire who earned his money. He did not inherit it. He did not marry it and he does not need to apologize for his success.

I do not watch this awful show enough to take up for EH but the few times I have seen it, I must say that she irritated me the least.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 5:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
People would invest if the investments were good, regardless of the tax rate. The argument that investment income should be taxed at a lower rate is the one made by the wealthy so they can stay wealthy.

Income is income, it should be taxed as income.

Yes, he does what the law asks. That doesn't mean it's not a bad law. It is bad law.

And he made his millions by putting other people out of work. So much for "investment". These kind of firms make far more than the companies they 'help.' And FWIW, 22% of the companies he "helped" either went bankrupt of out of business.

As for whether he inherited money, what he inherited was private schools and Harvard; and a big "allowance" while he was in college so he wouldn't have to work, and of course he never had student loans to pay off either. Like the rest of us schmucks.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Well, wait a minute...if the money you have invested has already been taxed, say it was income, is it really fair to tax it again?

I mean, income is already taxed, then when we buy something it's taxed again, so it only takes a few rounds before the government has the whole dollar, right?

We should not be taxed on income, IMO. Sales tax only at a flat rate on everything we buy.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It's not taxed again, that's silly. You are only taxed on the profit you make from your investment, not on the money you invested. Profit is income, as it is for any other kind of business.

I *invest* in my own business, but I have to pay tax on the money I make, at regular tax rates.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 11:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
People would invest if investments were good? Where do I find that crystal ball? Tell me please. What about all the times money is invested and lost?

Mitt Romney did not make his money by firing people! Someone has fallen for the Obama rhetoric hook,line, and sinker. Class warfare is alive and well. Romney should be an inspiration to all Americans. His father came from poverty to become a sucessful businessman and passed that work ethic on to his children. Hating hard working, sucessful, wealthy people is such a cliche. Sooner or later the clueless are going to run out of other people's money to tax.

This thread is supposed to be about The View, a show that I don't even like or watch on a regular basis. I'm off this thread.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 7:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
LOVE your post Hummingbird!!!!!!

Redpen

07-24-2003

Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 7:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Redpen a private message Print Post    
I quit watching this show a long time ago. I'm way left and I find this show embarrassing. The women just yammer at each other and pick on EH. No one knows what they're talking about including BW. Why did they ever pick EH as the conservative standard-bearer? If they replaced her with someone of Mary Matalin's caliber, then the women on the left would have to do some studying on the issues.

(Yes, CNN may be a little left of center to some but to me it's the closest to middle of the road that we have on TV. And I enjoy watching the discussions and listening to both sides). It's surprising that the View isn't trying to be more even-handed, since BW started out as a reporter.

Escapee

06-15-2004

Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Escapee a private message Print Post    
Kar, I do NOT know what was wrong with my brain yesterday. Of course I know it's only income that is taxed. Seriously, I've got a ton on my plate and nothing is clicking properly.

Redpen, I agree, this show is embarrassing to women like the bachelor is.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Mitt Romney did not make his money by firing people!

I well understand what companies like Bain Capital do. I worked with them for many years.

They go in and trim staffs (firing people) and reorganize and take BIG profits. Some of the companies survive, some don't.

In Bain's case, 22% of the companies they *helped* went bankrupt or closed, but Bain walked off with BIG paychecks from them.

As for telling when an investment is good, a 78% success rate is pretty damn accurate, so obviously they don't use crystal balls. They use business analysis. Just like we did, when I worked in that area.

It's not about hating, and I am so tired of THAT cliche and accusation. It's about seeing it for what it is, and telling the truth.

Zippy

07-03-2011

Friday, February 17, 2012 - 8:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zippy a private message Print Post    
Great post Hummingbird.

I came to this thread to see what was up on the view and fell into a political thread. I am running out of here as fast as I can.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Star Jones on The View today. Didn't see much of it, but they all seem to be wearing their big girl panties. Particularly Star, she seemed like a relatively normal human being. She's put back on a LITTLE bit of the weight she lost, and she looks GOOD!! Much better than when she was so horribly thin. Her face needs that extra little bit of weight.

\sort of wistful for the Crazy Star days.

Iluvreality

05-08-2011

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iluvreality a private message Print Post    
wanted to see this show but I wasn't home. can't wait to hear all about it.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
GREAT POST KARUUNA!!! right on target

Happymom

01-20-2003

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 3:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
So Star's contract was not renewed. Not that I really care. Maybe this was public knowledge, I didn't know about it though.

Hard to watch all the ladies talk over each other.

It wasn't a dramatic show. It was ok. No big deal. Whatever.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
On The Today show, Donny Deutsch said that the "mean girls" on The View owe Mrs Star Jones-Reynolds, Esq. an apology for the way they treated her on the show yesterday. To her credit, Ms Jones pretended to be above it all.

Smokey

07-08-2003

Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
I saw that Tish. And, I saw The View with Star. I was cringing at how they were pushing the questions at her. It was really ugly, IMO. And, I'm no fan of Star Jones, at all. I just thought Barbara and Joy behaved so inappropriately. It was nothing but "cover our asses" day, so they could make a point about how Star was going to be let go, a big one-upmanship thing. I wasn't surprised by Barbara's behavior, but I was surprised that Joy pushed it like she did.