TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 24, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 24, 2012 users admin

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
Oh, dear, Celebrity Crap-rentice is on opposite DA. Which will I watch, which will I watch? Bwaaaaaahaaaaahaaaaa.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
By the way, after this ends, same time same place on Masterpiece Theatre is going to be the new Upstairs Downstairs. There were three episodes in season one and now in the UK they're mid season two. I don't know how many episodes PBS will show, but I did see it there on the schedule. It did well in the UK and was nominated for Emmys. It's meant to carry on from where the original 70s series left off, but I presume they're smart enough that you don't have to have seen the original to enjoy it!

For this, season three is being aired in the UK in September, so hopefully we'd get it around then.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
Good news, Kitt. I have to say that I liked "Upstairs,Downstairs" much more than DA. I really cared about the characters.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 2:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I think it was easier to get into UD since I was a VERY faithful watcher of the original season. At least we have a unique matron in UD (hope the monkey is back)but now I am really caught up in DA.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
And we also have the new Sherlock Holmes coming up soon on Masterpiece. I love it! Quality shows make tv watching such a joy.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, February 20, 2012 - 7:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Excellent episode last night as well as the half hour Making of DA episode that followed. Next week is Dickens (forgot which one).

Nyheat

08-09-2006

Monday, February 20, 2012 - 8:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyheat a private message Print Post    
I love that PBS programs like these are giving primetime tv mainsteam a run for its money. Just you wait: Next season NBC will have a Victorian period peice--that will most likely feature Jack the Ripper as a vampire and the island from Lost.

Cricket

08-05-2002

Monday, February 20, 2012 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cricket a private message Print Post    
Roteach, last night wasn't the ending of this season of Downton Abbey. Next week is the ending. It's a Christmas Special that continues the story. Don't miss it!

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Monday, February 20, 2012 - 1:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
Cricket.. That was the Christmas special. We are all done until season 3.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, February 20, 2012 - 4:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I was checking out YouTube tonight for some Downton Abbey stuff (wanted to see the SNL spoof again) and I found some interviews done with British TV and as promos for Spanish TV (luckily subtitled and not dubbed) with some of the principal actors. I was also on the PBS site today during the Bates chat. They will have a transcript up soon. He seems to be a charming man.

Maris

03-27-2002

Monday, February 20, 2012 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Maggie Smith was just fabulous last night.

Cricket

08-05-2002

Monday, February 20, 2012 - 11:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cricket a private message Print Post    
Yes, Terolyn, I made a big mistake...so sorry for any confusion. I taped last night's episode tonight, as I didn't have room for it on the DVR last night. I watched last week's episode last night, so I was a week behind.

I had watched the last episode (Christmas Special) online around Christmas, so I knew how everything ended, but I'm rewatching it because it will make more sense now after having watched the rest of Season 2.

I was sad to see that Mr. Bates was convicted of murder. I'm thinking she totally set him up and committed suicide. I guess they wanted to leave something for next season, but I feel so bad for his wife.

Kitt, last week I finished watching all 5 seasons of the original Upstairs/Downstairs. One really gets into the different characters. So cool that Rose is back for the new series and I look forward to watching the second season next week.

Daydreamer

05-30-2008

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 7:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Daydreamer a private message Print Post    
My DH (who lives to guess the ending of detective shows/movies/books before they end), believes Sir Robert Sinclair killed Mrs. Bates (or had her killed), beccause he already paid oher off to keep her mouth shut about Lady Mary, and now she was threatening to spill the beans again. (Remember, Sinclair had warned Mrs. Bates not to double-cross him.)

And by the way, "Robert Sinclair" was part of the Christmas special's most memorable verbal exchange, in which the other participant was, of course, the dowager countess:

Ian Glen (leaving Downton Abbey after having been thrown over by Lady Mary): "Lady Grantham, I bid you farewill. I shall not be seeing you again."

Maggie Smith: "Do you promise?"

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
I guess I'm the only one who thought the dowager's saying "Do you promise?" was churlish and childish. The man had been dumped by Mary, socked in the puss, and everyone made it obvious how much he was disliked. Good for Mary, offering the olive branch.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Maggie Smith: "Do you promise?"

Since he was essentially blackmailing her it was a hoot to hear that comment.

Beachcomber

08-26-2003

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Beachcomber a private message Print Post    
Day, I think your husband may be right about Sinclair killing Mrs. Bates. My DH watched for the first time with me Sunday night and he kept referring to what other movies the actors had been in, LOL! Did the Lord's sister really play Ms. Moneypenney in one of the James Bond movies?

The last 15 minutes were the best tv I have seen in a long long time. I cheered when Matthew socked Sinclair and was a little stunned and thrilled when Matthew proposed so unexpectedly. At the beginning of that scene, I was wondering why in the world Mary was outside in the snow with that thin dress on, but the setting did make for a beautiful proposal and she would have looked odd in a heavy coat.

I have the Season 1 DVD (English version) that I can't wait to watch since I missed that season. This was mentioned upthread I believe, but for those ordering the DVDs, I read at Amazon that the PBS version we have seen has been slightly edited. So it will be fun to see the full length version.

Maris

03-27-2002

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Day, I think your husband's theory is brilliant!!!! He is probably right too.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
I also applaud daydreamer's husband's theory. It makes perfect sense. I was wondering why this storyline was continuing into next season and (actually) why it even existed. Sinclair could be an even bigger villian than we know, reinforcing Lady Grantham's insight into his character. He deserved her remark. He expects to gain Lady Mary's love and repect with threats?

Riviere

09-09-2000

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 4:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
Glad that Matthew seems to accept the scandal!

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Daydreamer, I do believe you DH is on to something! It makes a lot on sense.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 9:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Well... I FINALLY saw the premier ep on Vision TV in Canada tonight @ 9:00 p.m. Excellent! Glad several of you have nudged me in this direction. I practically needed bludgeoning, but I finally got the hint. LOL.

Mimi

04-30-2009

Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mimi a private message Print Post    
I thought Sinclair killed the nasty Mrs. Bates too. I was wondering if anyone else had the same feelings and now I see it wasn't such a bad idea after all.

Oxies_luv

05-13-2005

Friday, February 24, 2012 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Oxies_luv a private message Print Post    
His name is Sir Richard Carlisle.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Friday, February 24, 2012 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
Have we been calling Lady Mary's ex-fiance by the wrong name? Who is Sinclair? I am confused.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Friday, February 24, 2012 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Robert Sinclair was a character in Strathblair, a BBC show from the 90s (a drama set in Scotland in the 50s). Wonder if it's been on PBS lately!