TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 19, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: TV Shows: Downton Abbey: ARCHIVES: Archive through February 19, 2012 users admin

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I've notice how 'unthick' Paul McCartney's accent has become, but he's been in the US for decades.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
He could have developed the accent if he mingled a lot with people with strong accents HOWEVER a few days of being back in his native accent and he'd have been talking like them again. Maybe odd words or so with slight twangs, but it would be easy for him to talk as he used to.

Now whether the writers care about that as a plot point is a different matter. I kind of thought it was meant to be the real Patrick, because a fake Patrick would have tried harder, the real Patrick was honourable enough to step away.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I think the family has it right, *Patrick* is really his friend Peter and when he was told they were working on that theory he ran.

My hubby is English and even after 40 years he spends ten minutes in a pub with his family and he starts picking up the accent (and he was a child when they immigrated). With his parents, who have also been here 40 years, it has softened but it is clearly there. But, like Kitt posted, who knows if the writers are going to dump realism for the sake of a storyline.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
A friend sent me online links to this show so I can catch up. :-)

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Bet you love it, Mame.

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Friday, February 10, 2012 - 6:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
D A had the 2nd highest viewing audience last Sunday, the 1st was the Super Bowl. People are loving this show. maybe that will make the business people know that it should go on for years and years.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Friday, February 10, 2012 - 6:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
Maybe it will show the network executives that people would like to have some quality TV instead of all the mindless reality crap that is on EVERY channel.

Bravo/Discovery/AE/TLC used to be networks with quality programming. Now it is just fodder for more reality.

:: Ok, rant over ::::

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Friday, February 10, 2012 - 6:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
Maybe it will show the network executives that people would like to have some quality TV instead of all the mindless reality crap that is on EVERY channel.

Bravo/Discovery/AE/TLC used to be networks with quality programming. Now it is just fodder for more reality.

:::-Ok, rant over ::::

Maris

03-27-2002

Friday, February 10, 2012 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
When I was a kid there were fewer stations, 7 stations, abc,CBS,NBC, WNET, WOR, WNET, and in addition to great sit com such as get smart with writers like Mel brooks, Carl Reiner and Buck Henry, they also produced quality " reality" programming -- they were called documentaries. The tthree major networks did educational programming. there were less stations but more choices

Eroica

07-28-2005

Friday, February 10, 2012 - 4:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Eroica a private message Print Post    
Can't wait !!

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/downton_dirty_jLuYa0ymKmmS3NdxdGo5MI#ixzz1m1aNTEkC

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
Two hour episode tonight. the rest were one hour. think i'm gonna tape it.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, February 13, 2012 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Last night's episode was very good. Won't say any more right now so I won't spoil anything for the folks who have DVR'd it.

Terolyn

05-06-2004

Monday, February 13, 2012 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Terolyn a private message Print Post    
I got my Season 2 DVD and Christmas special in today. So SQUEEEEE I don't have to wait until Sunday!

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Monday, February 13, 2012 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
I am going to put my pj's on, settle down in my bed, pull those covers up to my chin and watch the 2 hr episode....lovely evening.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Monday, February 13, 2012 - 9:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
I cant watch soap operas, (no AMC, no Guiding light) but do I want to get hooked on this? OK, so I read. A LOT, all Regency era books (must have a happy ending and a no brain needed book! *G)

watched a bit here and there - but all the buzz... hit up season 1 episode 1... well ok, then on to episode 2, ok, its making more sense... episode 3 I am not liking Thomas, and surely this mess will get straightened out.... episode 4. ... now 5...

SOMEBODY STOP ME!!

lol

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
Another monkey wrench thrown in the way of Mary's and Matthew's obvious love for one another! Why didn't Lavina just die quietly? Matthew, the flu killed her, not a broken heart!

Irsnappy

01-13-2009

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 12:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Irsnappy a private message Print Post    
and how about that stinker kissing the maid...made me soooo mad...did everyone crack up when he told Cora "don't get all American on me" or something like that, made me laugh out loud. I figured Cora was going to live since her mother is coming over next season and I sooo wanted Mrs. Obrien to get caught with her sin, I am at least glad it is bothering her.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Love this program. Long live the Brits!

Maris

03-27-2002

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
Seriously Lavina telling Matthew that he should miss her and remember that he should miss her. She got her revenge. Well the stinker kissing the maid was just perfect juxtaposed with his outrage about his daughter marrying a chauffeur. Great episode. Loved Maggie, Marry in May -- Rue the day ladies.

Oh and her getting right into spin re the chauffeur, turn him into a politician. lol.

Help me remember what did Obrien do?

Marameko

07-14-2002

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Obrien caused Cora to miscarry by leaving water on the floor.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 5:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
.. and a bar of soap to make it slick...

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
And I think she did it on purpose. The child she was carrying could have been the much needed male heir.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
O'Brien made Cora fall on purpose to punish her because she (wrongly) thought she wanted a new maid (she actually was looking for one for a friend). She did kind of turn back to remove the soap but it was too late.

Maris

03-27-2002

Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maris a private message Print Post    
I remember now. Thanks.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
So tonight is the last night of Season 2. How are we going to wait a year for season 3? BTW the actor who plays Mr. Bates is having a chat tomorrow at 1 PM at the PBS site. I'm going to try to get there.