TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Fixer Upper

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Home "Improvement" Shows: Fixer Upper users admin

Florin

08-27-2006

Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 12:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Florin a private message Print Post    
Does anyone else watch this show.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 7:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I love Chip and Joanna! How they transform houses is amazing. I also really like how much they love each other and the joy they get from each other.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I absolutely love this show. Chip and Joanna are funny and down to earth and they do good reno and staging.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 5:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
The Gaines are such nice people with excellent taste in decor.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 8:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I was thinking last night, of all the personalities on HGTV, the ones I'd most like to meet and form friendships with are Chip and Joanna Gaines and their children. I really loved last night's show. They are funny, gentle and caring and not in your face.

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
One of my favorite shows! I read their book The Magnolia Story and now I love them even more.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 1:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Totally agree about this couple, family, and show!!! They really seem to be very grounded.

Chip is my version of the Perfect Guy!! And I LOVE Joanna's style!!! So happy they are experiencing the all the fruits of their labors!

#Shiplap #DemoDay

Roteach

06-01-2003

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 9:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Loved seeing the kids involved in the makeover. Seeing Dad and the boys on demo day was fun as was seeing the boys and Mom buying stuff for the boy's room. Seeing Chip and the girls try to decide what would go in the girls' room was cute too. Now that the kids are older maybe we will see them helping out more often.

Lyn

08-07-2002

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
Love this show! After four months of being without HGTV (my parents live in the country), I've finally moved into my new home and programmed it in.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, December 19, 2016 - 12:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
So the latest episode of the show opens with the Gaines pair telling us that they've been married for 12 years, significantly longer than LGBT people have been able to marry in TX, then cuts to the 4 examples of their ability to reproduce, as heterosexual people are wont to do. the new family? Interested in the school district of town X and Y because, one presumes, they also plan to reproduce.

Let's see some houses that are amenable to reproducing! Mrs Gaines will have her excessive blush and kohl-rimmed eyes throughout the experience throughout. She'd do french doors and hardwood floors here, there, and everywhere. Shiplap? I'm positive she'll get to it! It's like Paula Deen and butter. And we know there was never a problem with her.

But we can remove this wall and open up that wall and look at this kitchen and the lowers and uppers and the character and imagine that the placement of that shower in the the bathroom were (she says "was" because she's unfamiliar with the subjunctive tense: TX education_ different! It'd be significantly better for you and your ability to breed!

Can Mr Gaines catch a runaway pig? Not easily, but let him regale you with stories about his glory days. Is he going to tell us another story about his time as a HS football player, like the HGTV version of Al Bundy? No, but we've avoided another opportunity for him to show his gelatinous, glowingly-white midsection.

How sweet! They kiss! Could they be more committed to their sexuality or more determined to pray away other folks' sexuality? I don;t think so! It's incredibly endearing. Very tasteful, like shiplap that's been whitewashed but through which one can still see the grain of the wood. Almost the exactly perfect metaphor.
Charm! Character! Love this! --Mrs Gaines and homeowners, speaking in specifics
Unlike earlier seasons, when Mr Gaines employed Latino workers, they have now become almost uniformly Anglo, almost as if they're making home renovation great again. So watch them shoot their nail guns and demolish kitchens and install beams before Mrs Gaines brings her daughters to learn the secrets of pottery; it's a girl's job, unlike woodworking, which Mr Gaines taught his sons about last week. It's the appropriate division of labor, after all. He's the hunter and she's the designer, dressed in knee-high boots, a pot full of blush, and an interest in all that's "pretty."

That beam's not faux! It's real! No it's not! But the fireplace! And the exterior! Will we see the children, the proof of their ability to reproduce, again? Let us pray. They don't belong to a church that believes in praying away the gay, or opposes marriage equality, for nothing, ya know. So Mr Gaines will work on the windows and Mrs Gaines will compliment him, and they will remove the hardwood here and replace i with something else and the french doors and the fireplace and what's in the car because it's heavy and I need help, Chip and I don't want all this blush to run and it's cute and it matches the beam.

Who could have expected it? The younguns are here and they're going to hep and doesn't this one look like her and that one look like him and the house balances out the masculine and the feminine and I don't want our kids to have that balance because then our pray away the gay church would be mad and I'd have to send them to a reeducation camp where they could pray and pray and pray and pray and still be gay and then we could send them to Wyoming or somewhere. But no worries because look at the shutters and the windows and the fireplace and the french doors and the fireplace didn't exist and it's almost like Mr Gaines gave birth to it, but that's not right because he can't give birth because that'd be an abomination. Besides, Mrs Gaines has a kitchen with more french doors and a hutch--a hutch!--and a new master bedroom with refinished floors and a "fun chandelier" and mirrors on MORE french doors so you can watch yourself while you're doing the nasty but Mrs Gaines doesn't want to talk about that so shut up.

Pottery How unique. And double vanities in the bathroom. "Fun details." "Super cute." Let's wrap up on the front porch, ok?

And so it was. Or something.

Lyn

08-07-2002

Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
Enjoyed last Sunday's episode and watching the show again. I was really surprised that they opted to gut and flip the entire house rather than taking it down and starting over (it was that bad). The transformation was incredible!

Super impressed

Lyn

08-07-2002

Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
Another good show, and as always, I'm about a week behind. This time around it was fixing up a vet's home. I thought it was great how so many people donated their time and supplies. The 1 1/2 inch reclaimed hardwood on the wall set up the Army poem (Jimmy Don scribed in metal) wonderfully. And the personal touches - restoring a heirloom cabinet and clearing out the overgrown, much loved veggie garden - were great.

I have to admit, when we finally met Mrs Homeowner at the reveal, I was a bit concerned to see she was in a wheelchair and the front stoop had only stairs. It's not until you see the backyard that you find out they also added a ramp. She was so excited over that.

All in all another good episode

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 7:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I have seen a news article about a new show featuring Clint Harp (furniture builder on Fixer Upper) and I know it is on DIY, but can't find it on my grid. Anybody else heard when it is starting? I thought it was this Friday.

Well okay, I took myself to DIY's website and found out that the pilot aired on March 8 and that the next episode airs on March 26. The show is apparently called "Wood Work." I had wondered why Clint isn't on the show as much - I guess having him as competition on another network kind of slows down his appearances (on a recent show one of his workers delivered the furniture).

Lyn

08-06-2002

Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 6:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
I haven't seen anything about it, and I definitely would be interested to watch. (Love his work on Fixer Upper)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 6:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed the new Fixer Upper "After" show - it was interesting to see where Joanna comes up with her ideas and that she is willing to work with someone else when coordinating the design. As a person who can barely get a picture on the wall (lived in my house 10 years and am not sure I have a single picture up in the entire house!) I admire someone who has that ability.

Lyn

08-06-2002

Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
I'm not a design-y person myself

Ok a moment of honesty here: I had a home built a few months ago. Luckily this comes with a interior designer who helps you pick your colours, flooring etc, as I'm partially colourblind and know zip about design. This process is done during ONE meeting and takes THREE hours - to figure out THE WHOLE HOUSE. Mom and I just about pee'd a couple of times at the horrified look the designer gave us over a few gaffs. IE: Did you know you can't have the same counter tops, colours or flooring in your bathrooms and kitchen? ("How will your guests know they are in the powder room if you have the same finishings in the kitchen?") And that you can't have the same stuff in your ensuites as your powder rooms? (I have 2 of each) There are all of these unwritten rules we knew nothing about. I'm sure she thought we weren't that bright.

Where is Joanna when you need her? lol

(I still have to watch this week's episode)

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, April 28, 2017 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Now, I find the thread for Fixer Upper.

When you look at the timing of the partner buyout and the HGTV announcement, it is very suspicious to say the least. There had to be talks with HGTV prior to the 2 day interval between the 2.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/fixer-uppers-chip-gaines-sued-by-former-partners-over-hgtv-deal-report/ar-BBAuBlu?li=BBnb7Kz

Lyn

08-06-2002

Friday, June 30, 2017 - 8:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
Ohmygosh, I can't believe this couple (the client) are trying to gouge people like this. Especially when they got the house for FREE and only had to pay for the reno

http://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/2017/06/29/fixer-upper-home-listed-for-one-million-orig-vstan-aa.cnn/video/playlists/stories-worth-watching/

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, June 30, 2017 - 10:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I remember that episode. They wanted to buy the house but an investor bought that lot and the one next to it. He didn't need the house so agreed to give it to them if they moved it. Chip hired people to move it to a lot that they couple bought.

Boberg

10-04-2002

Monday, July 03, 2017 - 6:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Boberg a private message Print Post    
Love this show and Chip and Joanna seem like sincere people. I remember the "shotgun house" show. Surprised the couple (clients) were not sincere about making this their home or maybe they did for a short while and then decided to make it investment property. Either way I do not believe they are "gouging" anyone. People make a choice about whether or not to pay the $350 a night to stay there or to pay the almost $1 million dollars if they wish to make it their own.

I thought Chip and Joanna were quite creative in redoing that home and made it look great considering the size.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, July 03, 2017 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
That's how I look at it too, Boberg. People aren't being forced to stay there. If someone wants to pay $350 a night, more power to them. I don't really get the uproar. Are people supposed to live in the house that Chip and Joanna re-do forever?? Whenever I sold my home, i want to make a profit.
We don't know whether or not the couple went through the renovations just to make a profit...maybe the taxes were too high, maybe the house ended up being not workable because of it's size...

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, July 03, 2017 - 9:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
And furthermore, LOL, it's not like the Gaines' gave them the remodel and a home full of furniture. They HIRED the Gaine's to do the remodel. just like I hired a general contractor when I did mine. I wouldn't expect my contractor to dictate if and when I can sell my home. Also, the furniture that is used in the reveal is not the homeowner's furniture. It's Joanna's that she will be happy to sell to them. If they don't buy it, it goes back to her store.
I love this show, but don't get why people feel the homeowner has to live in it forever or they are somehow ungrateful if they try to profit from it. This is a business. People like to make profits from their business ventures. Even the Gaines.

Lyn

08-06-2002

Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
Finally got to watch the Bakery episode. Looks like a very nice shop. The floors were gorgeous, the shop open and airy (not cluttered as most are), and I thought the courtyard for outdoor eating was a great idea

Good luck to the Gaines - I hope their bakery does well

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
My daughter and I are going to do a girls' road trip for my birthday and go visit the Silos. Also heard Spice Village is fun http://spicewaco.com/ so we will go there too.
Even found a cute little spa in Waco that does a mother daughter package.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
https://magnoliamarket.com/our-last-season/

They have announced this season is their last season. I will miss the show but respect their decision.

Snoopsmom

02-19-2003

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 7:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Just read a story that Chip and Joanna are expecting baby #5. Probably another reason they want to slow down after this season.

http://www.wcvb.com/article/chip-joanna-gaines-pregnant-baby-number-5/14536723

Roteach

06-01-2003

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Here's the link to the Today Show story. I just posted in the HGTV folder. https://www.today.com/parents/baby-makes-7-chip-joanna-gaines-are-expecting-their-fifth-t120730?cid=eml_tdb_20180103

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Last night's show featured her sister and brother-in-law and their five children...and her sister told her (while they were renovating a house for them) that she was expecting a 6th baby. Perhaps Joanna (who has been open about wanting to have another baby for a while now) and Chip decided that it would be a great time so that the new babies would be close in age and grow up together (her sister's family just moved back to Waco recently...I assume the brother-in-law was finishing up his residency).

Lyn

08-06-2002

Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
Very happy for them. They both have mentioned during the season that another child might be in their future

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, January 04, 2018 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
And they really make beautiful children.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: