TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 14, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Talent/Variety Shows: America's Got Talent: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 14, 2011 users admin

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 5:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
That's what it sounded like to me.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 9:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Every AGT has been a singer. The only standout was Terry Fator (who sang without moving his lips, and used puppets).

I want variety ACTS. Singers have Idol and now Xfactor - go there, please.

Meanwhile, iLuminate needs to get hired here in Las Vegas. Maybe Blue Men Group will put them into their show, or Jabberwocky will incorporate them. Recycled Percussion is also here (at Tropicana) - that has potential.

Allietex

08-16-2002

Friday, September 16, 2011 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Allietex a private message Print Post    
I admit I am puzzled by those who do not want singers on a show that is named America's Got Talent just because they always win. Isn't singing a talent? Whether we like it or not, singing is among the most appreciated talents.

Besides, neither Landau or Michael Grimm, would have been eligible for American Idol because of their ages. How many of the past AGT winners and finalists would have been.

People connect with music and the people who make it on an emotional level. And as Piers said, it is easier to connect with a single person than it is with a group of people. And singers make it or not based on the strength of their talent. No gimmicks or props to rely on. Just the talent.

And as much fun as Team Illuminate and Silhouettes were to watch, the talent did not really lie in the performers. Any one of them could be replaced with another competent dancer. It is just a matter of training.

The talent was in the technology. If they had to perform without the technology, I suspect that they would not have been any better than the other dancing groups, for example, the Miami AllStars. Perhaps not even as good.

The stars of the acts were really the computer programmers. Essentially they are novelty acts. And novelty begins to wear off. The competition is about two weeks too long for these kinds of acts.

Singers cannot be replaced by anyone. They either have the talent or they do not. Landau definitely has it.

I am not saying that those groups would not have deserved to win if they had done so. Because they are entertainment acts and that is what AGT is all about. I would have been happy for either of them if they had won. And certainly would not have questioned America's choice. America votes for who they want. If it is singers then so be it. If it is variety acts, then so be it.

What I am saying is that I believe that the sense of personal connection to and the appreciation of individual talent is why people vote for the singers over the other acts.

Another kind of act is going to have to be spectacular to win over a singer. That is just the way it is.

Maybe we need a variety act talent show. It could be called America's Got Great Variety acts.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Monday, September 19, 2011 - 9:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I thought it was so interesting how Landau's initial story, in his first performance, was that he had never sang for anyone before but then we find out he's been trying since he was a kid and the article talks about musicians who have played with him for years.

He was off key and out of a tune quite a few times. It was nerves but still it wasn't perfect.

We were sorry that Illuminate didn't win, we would actually go to their show so hope that they do get a show that we can go to.

Allietex

08-16-2002

Monday, September 19, 2011 - 7:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Allietex a private message Print Post    
I think when people say they have never sung before, they are talking about performing professionally or before a large audience. Plenty of people have sung in church or in local clubs or events, but that is not really performing before an audience like AGT.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 12:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Landau will sing the national anthem this Saturday night 09/24, at the WVU vs LSU game in Morgantown, WV on ABC around 8:15 PM,EST.A parade was held for him yesterday in his hometown of Logan, WV and he sang several songs. Governor Tomblin gave him an award to show how proud we West Virginians are of him.
With ESPN Game Day also broadcasting on campus, 2 undefeated/ranked < # 2 and # 16 > undefeated this place is all abuzz.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
2011 WVU vs LSU: Landau Eugene Murphy Jr sings the National Anthem

(yesterday)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvRPLYrVzIc&sns=em

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, September 26, 2011 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Thank you Mame ! It was nice that the crowd sang along.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, September 26, 2011 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
YVW Marameko, I've 'friended' him on FB so I get his musical updates. :-)

Marameko

07-14-2002

Monday, September 26, 2011 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I live 5 minutes from the stadium but I don't recall paying attention to the "sounds" from the stadium until this past game.A friend did get her photo taken with him but she was also in one of the sky boxes at the stadium; she was also nice enough to get his autograph for a family member. In WV if I don't know you............I know someone who does know you !

Allietex

08-16-2002

Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Allietex a private message Print Post    
There was a terrible echo effect on the video, but otherwise, it was good.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Piers Morgan has resigned as a judge. He won't be back.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/10/..../

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, November 11, 2011 - 9:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Curious to see who they pick to replace him.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, November 11, 2011 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
one rumor was Howard Stern, but I don't think his audience is the one that will watch this show.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, November 11, 2011 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
In that case they'd lose me as a fan. I cannot stomach Howard Stern. Feh!

Rvon

12-11-2003

Friday, November 11, 2011 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
I agree with you, Mameblanche. I cannot stand the man either.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Friday, November 11, 2011 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
The article that I read stated that if Howard joined the show, the live shows might have to move to NYC. Can't figure out where they would tape. The studios at 30 Rock don't seem to be as large as the ones in LA.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, November 11, 2011 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I would also stop watching if it was Howard Stern. Blech.

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Friday, November 11, 2011 - 1:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
EEEwwwww... They'd lose me. I could not watch if Howard Stern is on. I can't believe his fans would watch either. It's a lose/lose for the show.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, November 11, 2011 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Ooooh I have a brilliant (ahem) idea... if I may say so myself. This is the last season for HOUSE if I'm not mistaken, and I may be. But if it is... then HUGH LAWRIE, who is a MULTI-TALENT himself (tv star, comedian, thespian, singer, musician) would be the absolute perfect judge. I'll bet he can do and has done many of the various things they judge on that show.

The only catch is that from what I understand he's not a happycamper working in the States with his family far away in Britain and he's looking forward to not having to commute anymore.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, November 11, 2011 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Howard Stern would kill it for me but Hugh Laurie wouldn't be a draw either.

I figured Piers might move on, having his own show..

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, November 14, 2011 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Howard Stern addresses AGT hosting rumours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=14CLYanFqWU

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Monday, November 14, 2011 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I think it's funny how he says that if he was a judge the guy that won wouldn't have won. He doesn't even know that America does that voting.

Smokey

07-08-2003

Monday, November 14, 2011 - 3:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
I don't mind Howard, but he's definitely not right for this show. I can't believe they'd even consider it. It's a pretty family oriented show, so why even to there.

I'm not surprised about Piers moving on. He seemed miserable through most of this season.

Allietex

08-16-2002

Monday, November 14, 2011 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Allietex a private message Print Post    
Wow, his modesty is mind boggling.