TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 15, 2011

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Talent/Variety Shows: America's Got Talent: ARCHIVES: Archive through September 15, 2011 users admin

Allietex

08-16-2002

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Allietex a private message Print Post    
I loved Landau last night. I have been saying all along that he needed to sing My Way for the final and when that music started, I yelled, "Yes!" and he did a suburb job. I have been pulling for him since his audition and no other act has made me change my mind.

Team Illuminate and Silhouette both did great jobs. I would be disappointed if Landau doesn't win, but not heartbroken if he is beaten by one of these. I think the problem with them is that their "newness" is beginning to wear off. They don't seem as original as they did right at first. That is the problem with acts like these. The WOW factor begins to fade just a little too soon. Same as with the group last season. Can't even remember their name now. The college boys with the lights. So many people thought they had a real shot to win until right at the end.

I think that is why singers so often win. Somehow singing never gets old. We can listen to a great singer sing the same song over and over and never get bored with it. I think it is just something in our DNA.

But poor PopLyfe just bombed big time. I cringed at some of the notes she missed. At one point one of the boys voices was overpowering hers and it sounded very odd. They did a medley last week and it was very successful, but their choice of music last night was just very disjointed. I agree with Piers, when she was singing the soft part, it was very nice, but the "rocking" parts were just jarring. My heart just broke for them. They needed to be doing modern rock music, not an old dated song that is sung for winners of sports events. Sad choice of music.

Why do these acts do these silly things. The acrobatic group who did the upside down piano thing, the knife throwing cowboy who did a horse act, etc. Do what got you there. Yeah, it is good to up the ante, but not a complete departure from your strength. Just dumb.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I would go for Landau or Team iluminate for the win. Unfortunately, I think the vote for those 2 will split and Silhouette will win.

Silhouette's set ups seemed off to me. Usually, you could tell what they were doing. Last night, everything was just off.

PopLyfe was just out of their league last night. The singing was way off. I hate to say that Piers is right. She would be better without the backup singers.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think PopLyfe are good as a band, but the boys shouldn't sing, or they should have some training if they want to. I was sorry the girl was so off last night, because I think they are a real honest, viable band who deserve good things. I assume they'll be on the tour or get some sort of deal out of this anyway, just sad for her to feel she messed up.

Getting a little bored of Silhouette, and to a lesser extent iLuminate. I love Landau but I didn't think My Way was as good as last week's.

I didn't vote in the end, and don't mind who wins.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Landau is the only performer I have any positive feelings about...I hope he wins. I just don't "get" all the dance groups....especially the ones with little kids in them. I just don't see much potential in them in the long run.

Landau would be perfect for Vegas show, but the dance groups bore me.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 2:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
I voted exclusively for Landau online and by phone.He is truly the talk in the state of WV.It is refreshing to see someone so kind and humble. The Governor even has a story about how polite he was to his son at the car dealership where he " used" to work.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Silhouette bores us now. Liked them much better when THEY made the shapes and you recognized them (didn't need the photos on top of the sheet to know it was polar bears or the eiffle tower). Like when they made the bed in the very beginning last night. But we wouldn't pay to go see them here in Vegas.

iLuminate had the brightest lights ever (and the view from above was new). I'm just worried they are splitting votes with Silhouette. iLuminate is similar to Blue Men Group in some ways (use of lights). Lots of Vegas show potential.

Poplyfe will have a career but those poor boys need some vocal training or just not sing backup. Were they not told about performing with Stevie Wonder before their set last night? She seemed genuinely suprised (and the boys looked like zombies, as always).

Landau *IS* Vegas. Bring back the old lounge act. He's got a career here already in the books.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 4:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Allietex I feel the same way about Landau. He's WONDERFUL, and he's been my fave since the beginning too. :-) Love those old-time crooners...

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
4th=Poplyfe 3rd=Team iluminate

Rvon

12-11-2003

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
Wow! So it is down to Landau or the Silhouettes? Wow, again!!!

Rvon

12-11-2003

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
Ketchuplover, thanks for spoiling. Please keep it up!!!!

Costacat

07-15-2000

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Costacat a private message Print Post    
Wow. I would've thought top 2 would be iLuminate and the Silhouettes!

Rvon

12-11-2003

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 6:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
My thoughts too, Costa.

Rvon

12-11-2003

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
Who won?

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 7:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Some guy named Landau.

Kellirippa

07-10-2002

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellirippa a private message Print Post    
So happy for Landau.
I'm really surprised that ILuminate didn't win, but I always felt that what they were doing didn't translate to TV very well.

Has a group act ever won?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 8:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yay for Landau!!!! :-)

Allietex

08-16-2002

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 9:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Allietex a private message Print Post    
I really think Landau was the single most talented individual in the show this season. He has such a smooth voice with perfect control. His singing was always spot on and he never missed a note or got off key.

And on top of the talent, he has a pleasant personality and a pleasing appearance.

So happy for him that he won.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 11:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Loved him with Patti too!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Just from watching their interaction over the past 2 nights, I think that Nick Cannon and Landau had become really close friends over the timeframe of the contest.

Landau is already a Vegas act just in need of a stage.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Landau & Patti Labelle Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWO2fF1vVlE

Denecee

09-05-2002

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
Loved it! Thanks, Mame!

Kellirippa

07-10-2002

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kellirippa a private message Print Post    
Piers and Howie remarked time and time again over the course of the season that this season was extraordinary in it's talent pool, they'd never had such strong talent before..
But, ILuminate didn't come off on television as anything all that different than Fighting Gravity last year, the Silouettes never really had a performance any better than their original audition piece, Poppycock was substantially more original than Steven Retchless and vocally talented than Lys.
Well, I love Landau, and I'm so happy he won, but when I saw little Jackie Evanko perform last night.. well.. I don't think anything this season even came close to her.

It does look like the winner is always a single person, not a group act. What would be the reason for that do you all suppose?

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
What's Next For Landau?

Staff MetroNews Talkline

A former car detailer from Logan is headed to Caesar's Palace to headline his own show.

America's Got Talent host Nick Cannon announced who'd won the nation's hearts and votes Wednesday night.

"The winner of the $1-million and the star of the headline show in Vegas is...Landau Eugene Murphy Jr.!"

Landau's family was in the audience in Los Angeles and hundreds of supporters in his hometown were on hand at the local theater to watch him on the big screen.

Bob Noone, a local musician who's played with Murphy for years, says the talent competition cemented Landau's status as a rising star, not just a Sinatra wanna-be.

"It's not a secret in Logan when you said he can do something other than crooning. [Wednesday] night you began to see a little more of the other Landau,” Noone said Thursday on MetroNews Talkline.

That Landau sang a duet with his musical hero Patti LaBelle that had people on their feet.

Noone says Landau is no one-trick pony.

"He can do Motown. He can do James Brown. He's just very versatile. And that's a Vegas Act,” he said.

So what happens now that Landau has won his title? Noone, who is also a lawyer, says don't expect Landau to make any rash moves.

"He takes things slow and at his own pace in terms of key decisions,” he said.

One decision is whether to take his $1-million prize in a 40-year annuity or a lump sum of more than $300,000.

Landau is booked to perform at Caesar's Palace in Vegas on October 28th. Noone says there are still good seats for the show left if you're looking on-line.

<snipped for length>

http://www.wvmetronews.com/news.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=47842

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
They were all good, but the result wasn't what I would have chosen.. but not bad in any way.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 4:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think all four of the finalists are performing at Caesar's Palace next month?