TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 03, 2010

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: The Work World: Undercover Boss: Archive through November 03, 2010 users admin

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Caablejockey, they don't hide the cameras. The people are told a story about filming a documentary about entry level jobs etc.

One would think that when you are flown to corporate headquarters you might get suspicious something important is going on.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I think then they are told that they are coming to give an evaluation of the entry level programs...I think the entire story is that they are filming a documentary about people entering the workforce after either a long layoff of stay-at-home mom type things. I know the prior show about the guy in Choice Hotels there was also another guy going out and doing the same jobs and they were supposed to compare them.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
The stories they tell of why the camera there vary sightly with each episode.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
I dunno know Scoot.... the singling out of a few people with similiar sob stories each week is the exact reason I DID lose interest and stop watching.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
For some reason I always miss the first few minutes of the show, so thanks for explaining why people would see things being filmed!
When I first heard about this show, I thought we would see more of the bad side of the employees. Like hearing someone complain about how mean the boss is--not knowing they wer talking to the big honcho! Or the person showing the 'newbie' around would be caught telling how they cheated the system, or did as little work as possible and got away with it!!
Its nice to see that there are decent hard working people out there, but just for fun I'd like to see more Eddie Haskells--lol.

Slugger

07-17-2005

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Slugger a private message Print Post    
People will catch on eventually. It will become more and more difficult to pull off the charade. An unqualified worker with a film crew. HMMM!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 8:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I agree about thinking there would be more negative shown...perhaps they do't show it for fear of lawsuit?

Spear

08-06-2001

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spear a private message Print Post    
I'm guessing it's because the company has final say on the edit and they don't want anything too negative to be shown.

Bonbonlover

07-13-2000

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bonbonlover a private message Print Post    
Jewels I see what you are saying. I would like for the CEO's to work with people and recognize that they do not have unique situations. Many employees would like to have regular schedules and assured of getting off at 3:00. Many are struggling to put their child through school.

I would like to see the CEO's come in and rather than giving 1 person a promotion which would be life changing... make company changes. Ensure that every employee gets set hours, Start some sort of educational program for families, Work on company issues not individual issues.

Shelb724

10-20-2002

Friday, October 08, 2010 - 7:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Shelb724 a private message Print Post    
I was liking this show but then I did see the pattern developing--in fact, on Sunday night I was watching and it was way too predictable. This one was for Great Bear Lodge--so it was a female CEO and she was doing the work, etc. and then asking a lot of questions to who she was working with. I don't know very many new employees who go around asking those kind of questions. Plus all these people have to have seen this show and get a clue. I'll start watching Desperate Housewives again if football doesn't run over :-(.

Sunshyne4u

06-17-2003

Friday, October 22, 2010 - 1:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
saw an advertisement for a Nascar "undercover boss". this show is getting to be just an hour ad for whatever company is focused on.

i kinda liked it at first but this formula is bugging me now.

work isnt the place to air your history/ dirty laundry so I would never be picked for all those 'handouts and promotions' that some whiner alwaYS gets at the end of the show.

i've found in my decades of work that the hardest workers, the ones who truly keep a place running smoothly.... those people NEVER blow their own horn.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Friday, October 22, 2010 - 1:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
Bonbonlover, I agree with you. The first thing I thought when he gave the one lady a set schedule was that everyone else she works with would have to suffer.

I could give one of my employees the PERFECT schedule. If only every one else worked all her night shifts and weekends.....

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, October 22, 2010 - 6:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I at least like NASCAR!

Reenie

06-24-2006

Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 3:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reenie a private message Print Post    
Shelb...Could the shows have been all filmed before anything actually aired on TV?

Just a thought...

Bonbon - ITA - the changes should be sweeping and across the board! Of course, it is nice to see some employees get the rewards from the show, but I agree with your sentiments.

Lurkin

02-15-2002

Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lurkin a private message Print Post    
I sobbed over the guy with the son with leukemia. He was so touched . I can not even imagine how finacially devasting it would be.
Such a nice man.

Cynny

06-20-2001

Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cynny a private message Print Post    
I was sobbing, too, Lurkin. I loved the father's reaction, just watching his face as it all sank in. The emotional strain on a parent with a sick child is horrible enough. Now, they can concentrate their energy on their son and family without so many other worries hanging over them. And I liked how they changed it up a bit this time and had the crew there to film the "super fan" experiencing his free behind the scenes pass. I liked the boss. He seemed genuine to me.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Friday, October 29, 2010 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
The pattern is so obvious and blatant - it just seems too contrived. I think it was today on the Early Show when the ceo of Chiquita Bananas was talking about how he often comes as a "surprise" to his factories - yada yada - it was a nice interview, didnt give much - but then again, I came late to the interview... he just felt any ceo could do this, that you dont need cameras to get a feel for your workers, and the way your company is working and not working.

and I just read a bit that said the new owner of The CUBS has filmed an episode to air in November - they showed a sneak peak and apparently he failed at groundskeeping. I know I cant wait to see this one!!!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, October 29, 2010 - 10:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
but so are alot of these type shows; Extreme Home makeover comes to mind...tragic story, will we get the house finished in time? lovely reveal

Gidget

07-28-2002

Friday, October 29, 2010 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
One would think that when you are flown to corporate headquarters you might get suspicious something important is going on.

One would also think they would choose more professional looking attire.

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Friday, October 29, 2010 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
LOL Gidget!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, October 29, 2010 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I always think that about their clothing, Gidget!!!

Sia

03-10-2002

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 11:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sia a private message Print Post    
DH & I had never seen this series until just this last episode in which the CEO of Chiquita appeared. We both really enjoyed the show! I really felt like the people who tried to "train" "Manuel" (the CEO's alias) were devoted to the company, good at their jobs, & very patient with their very inept potential new-hire.

I did feel they could have made more meaningful changes for the employees profiled, however. It's great that field trainer (lettuce-cutting operation in Salinas) is getting his legal expenses paid for in regard to obtaining U.S. citizenship, but I think that rather than send him and his family for a week-long paid vacation it would be far more meaningful to find a way for the family to remain in the same town/STATE 12 months of the year instead of six. That trainer was the guy whose wife and adopted daughter live in Arizona while he goes to Salinas, CA for six months of the year. I would have asked if finances were keeping the wife and daughter from moving to Salinas. If that's not the problem, perhaps Chiquita could find a year-round position for their employee in Arizona.

As for the lady in Baltimore, it's FABULOUS that an elevator is being installed in the building so that she doesn't have to run the stairs to deliver paperwork to the drivers, BUT I think they might have found something more fitting for her than making a $5K donation in her name to the SPCA. It's like not really getting a gift, to me. It's sort of like when George Costanza gave his coworkers fake cards for bogus donations he'd pretended to make to a nonexistent charity in lieu of giving them Christmas gifts, LOL.

Puzzled

08-27-2001

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Puzzled a private message Print Post    
I'm always disappointed that the CEOs don't come up with some way to help all their employees.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Chiquita is known as one of the most anti-labor companies. That is why I am convinced this show is paid for by the companies to put a good face on them.

Chaquita is implicated in the deaths of labor leaders in non-US countries.
It is easy enough to google them and find that they are causing have across the world. All the largest banana compnaies violate the child labor laws and offer protection to the workers for the dangers they expose them to like hazardous chemicals and poisonous insects.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I imagine all the CEO's sign up to make their compnaies look good.