TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
So You Think You Can Dance - Season 18

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Dance Shows: So You Think You Can Dance - Season 18 users admin

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, March 05, 2024 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Started a new thread for the 18th season and moved posts over.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, March 03, 2024 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
New Season 18 starts Monday night!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, March 03, 2024 - 9:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
so excited!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, March 03, 2024 - 11:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Me too!

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 05, 2024 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
I watched

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, March 05, 2024 - 12:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Me too. I cried too.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, March 05, 2024 - 7:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I will be interested to see how the new format works out

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, April 08, 2024 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Max is a new judge on this show.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 08, 2024 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That might help Maks to be close to home as Peta is pregnant with son #3.. and son #2 is still pretty young. I assume he will cut down on touring while he is judging.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 08, 2024 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yikes! I missed the start.. But looks like I can catch up on demand..

But no comments?

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, April 08, 2024 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
its been very boring, imo. Im hoping it will now pick up since we now have the top 10. No one has impressed me that much yet

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, April 09, 2024 - 7:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Last night was a rerun. They’ve already shown through the top 10.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, April 09, 2024 - 3:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Max was filming this in Atlanta, so was away from home. (I follow her on insta). I'm enjoying him as a judge. I'm not sure if this is already filmed or if we have any voting options? But he's back home now it seems.

I'm excited for the top 10. There are some I really like. This new format seems quite abbreviated, so I hope we still get to see incredible dancing and learn to love these dancers.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, April 09, 2024 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I suspect she’s on location with him. It’s a good role for him. He seems very relaxed and happy to be there.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, April 09, 2024 - 5:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I think it's done filming... From wiki: an eighteenth season would start filming in Atlanta from December 4, 2023, to January 29, 2024.
I don't think we'll be voting.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 10, 2024 - 2:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh.. Atlanta.. not sure.. their Instagram posts seem to be at their home out here and the older son would be in school, I think, so who knows.. and they may film more than one episode a day.

I have now only watched the first episode on demand and wasn't particularly drawn in, but I'll have to find time to watch the rest of the audition rounds to see the top 10, which should be more compelling.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, April 10, 2024 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
From the "This season on..." previews, it looks to already have been filmed in its entirety. And it looks like Jojo replaces the other judge (the hip hopper), so not sure what happened there.
The "goal" of this season is to find a dancer who can start working right away "in the business", so not necessarily to find the best, or favorite dancer. But the most employable.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 10, 2024 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Most employable.. hmm.

Comfort was judging in the only episode I watched. She's not a huge favorite of mine. Jojo less so.. sigh.. and watching on demand with no fast forward, ugh.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 15, 2024 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Made it through top ten, so tonight I will record and can fast forward through commercials..

Really hard to see some of them go.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, April 16, 2024 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I watched last night. Two went home out of the ten. Yes, this has already been filmed and there is no viewer voting. It will be a very short season with 2 going home each week and only 8 left. I feel kind of cheated and I wonder if the top ten feel cheated too.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 16, 2024 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I watched last night's show just now.

The no voting is nothing new on the west coast and was one of the reason I stopped watching.

JoJo was raised with harsh criticism and she probably thinks she is softer and probably is, but still kind of scolds.

I really don't care for the format where not only are there teams but the choreography is different, the choreographers are different and then most of the losing team is in jeopardy. They dance for their life but are still judged on their team performance.

And Allison and JoJo were so down on Olivia (Maks disagreed) before she even danced for her life that it was obvious that she was leaving.

The dancers competing are all good, likeable young people, and I enjoy them, but the judges comments, not so much.

And switching from Comfort to JoJo left some dancers who had support from Comfort without a judge appreciating them so much.

The whole theme of must be ready to be hired isn't appealing to me, but the dancers may feel
differently and maybe they will be more successful?

So they sent home two women, leaving the group a little bit lopsided.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, April 16, 2024 - 5:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
this top 10 wouldnt have even made the top 50 in prior seasons!! No standouts at all. It was painful to watch most of those videos

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, April 17, 2024 - 7:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
yeah, this season is a pale comparison to former seasons. What a shame.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Thursday, April 18, 2024 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Was just thinking, how the show has evolved over the years. It used to be more ballroom, classical, tap or old school types of dance, with a sprinkling of contemporary and the occasional "street dance" (hip hop, Cronk, break dance, popping etc). I still remember a break dancer attempting to do a waltz lol.

There were also older seasoned judges that were past champion in the ballroom circuit. Then we got a few with no dance background at all. The choreographers were more of a part of the show. It was just as much a competition for them as the dancers.

Now it seems to have switched to be heavy on contemporary and street dance and hardly any ballroom. The judges, by consequence, have little background in the competition circuit. I appreciate a Maks type on the panel. Especially since he has a dance school. I prefered the old format. I understand they need to keep up with the younger viewers...but I miss a little bit of the old days.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 19, 2024 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I would think that for getting actual jobs it would be best to be strong in the old school basics and also be able to do the more contemporary Shonda street stuff, but they don't seem to be getting that now.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Friday, April 19, 2024 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yes, that's true. For this year's format of having them basically "interview" for the job, it would not likely include ballroom.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, April 26, 2024 - 12:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
We hate this new format! The old show was more about the partners building a relationship and growing together. I liked the pairs more than the teams. There's no chance to get attached to individual dancers in this format. I also miss the enthusiasm of the studio audience.

I love the judges and Cat Deeley, but they really seemed to have cut back on the budget this season. It no longer interests us. After watching all these years, we're out.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, April 26, 2024 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I couldnt even make it thru the last ep. They ruined this show.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Saturday, April 27, 2024 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
It does seem like the dancers now, shine while doing their individual style and their own choreography. But as soon as they have to learn someone else's choreography or dance together with another dancer, thats where they crumble.

I really dislike when they have teams in any reality competition show. Whether it be Survivor, Top Chef, SYTYCD etc. I don't like to see someone go home because the team put them in the bottom. Or someone non deserving of staying is protected because the rest of the team pulled them through. I realize that makes good TV, but I don't care for it. I think that is one of the reasons I love Amazing Race so much. The teammates go thru on their own merit...and no ones person opinion of them.

I dearly love Cat Deeley! She used to be more involved in the past. I hope they never replace her.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, April 27, 2024 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I agree about teams.. Deal or No Deal Island, too. And Top Chef is especially bad in pairs and paired up with someone with immunity.

The part where they have trouble with choreography is relevant in real world where start off careers as back up dancers for videos and live performances or in the chorus line in musicals. They might be soloists on the street or on Instagram but maybe not yet in the roles they hope to get.

But I miss the old format, for sure.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: