TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 23, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: RACE TO SURVIVE ALASKA ... USA channel: Archive through May 23, 2023 users admin

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, May 09, 2023 - 1:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Love the bears!

I'm getting fed up with the dad. I don't care for the way he treats or talks about or directly to his son. If they win or lose he likely won't give his son credit but will readily blame him, I bet. The son is so respectful of his father...it's sad to see his treatment from the dad.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, May 09, 2023 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I love the bears too! I'm guessing we don't get much footage because they are staying far from them.

Yeah, the dad is just looking terrible. Gosh, is it so hard to just say "thank you for the berries!" Why the need to dismiss the son's effort. This dad is about my age and I can't believe he doesn't know how to parent better than that. Yikees.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 09, 2023 - 6:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I am just hoping the dad will watch himself, and maybe grow up a bit.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, May 10, 2023 - 3:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I watched my episode last night. I absolutely loved the bears and cubs.

My heart was breaking for the son the way his father talked to him about the salmonberries. It's awful to talk to your child like that when you are alone but he did it in front of others which made everyone uncomfortable. It left me shaking my head.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, May 10, 2023 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
We can only hope it is editing. People can slip up and make a nasty crack once in a while, no one is always an angel. The editors can decide if they want to make someone a villain. I suspect they will not win, hence can be a vilian.
I will never forget meeting an amazing racer who was very nice and was portrayed as a villain along with a woman who was the worst villain in the show, but basically had dysentery for the since the second week and up to the finale on the strength of her partner, who she credited with dragging her along, but to her credit, she never quit because er partner did not want to leave the show.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 11, 2023 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Sadies, I'd buy that if there weren't so many. But there are... many.

As the saying goes, when someone is stressed/squeezed, you get their essence. He is who he is.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Thursday, May 11, 2023 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I agree with Karuuna. His behavior towards his son is making it uncomfortable for everyone.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, May 15, 2023 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New show tonight!!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, May 15, 2023 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Watching.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 16, 2023 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And he continued.. Using their salmon to bait a crab pot he found which failed to catch any crab.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, May 16, 2023 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I know, Seamonkey, it would have been one thing if he even knew anything bout catching crab and if he wasn't vegetarian and therefore not really wanting to eat the crab.

I did love that we got to see the Mama Bear with her 2 cubs, they were so darling!

Glad the doctors got to enjoy that before they were eliminated.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 16, 2023 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, they were not going to finish but seeing those bears was a lifetime event in itself.

I looked up Dungeness crab and they could be in such an area, but in some cases there is a parasite or disease that could have taken them out.. the info I read was more from the pacific NW and down the coast so not sure about Alaska. but that pot could have drifted a long way with the tides.

But it seemed like even though they wouldn't normally eat that salmon, it would be safer to eat and they may have already eaten some on this trip. And he just stubbornly and rather proudly overrode his son.

Also if they weren't being so secretive they might have talked to the Alaska guy who has worked on crab boats.. he might even have been able to help or share??

In general I know this is a competition but some of these people (father and son, brother of the brother and sister and others) seem awfully prone to talking smack about other teams or hoping other teams will fail, rather than concentrating on excelling. But I know they have to find motivation however they can.

And the bears were awesome.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 16, 2023 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Well, if the crab trap worked, there would have already been crab in it? That was my first thought.
And yes, so odd that they wouldn't eat salmon, but they were going to eat crab?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 16, 2023 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think he just wanted to be a hero.. finding the trap, hiding the trap, and using the trap.

And the trap could have been workable and still, as we all know from years of Deadliest Catch, the traps have to be set where the crab are and even the expert crabbers can come up with empty traps. Setting that one trap could have come up with crab but seemed like a longshot.

And yes, odd..

Most of them seem to be much less knowledgeable than the people on Alone in terms of actual survival. Some of them seemed to be cooking up and eating those large fungi (mushrooms) and there were berries.

On the other hand, this show had to know that team was comprised of vegans, so they could have provided them with small amounts of tofu or other vegan protein, instead of the fish protein.

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Wednesday, May 17, 2023 - 3:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I hate having to avoid this thread until I watch the show on Tuesday night.

Mama Bear and her two cubs were too cute! They made the show last night. I'm happy (and jealous) that Robin and Elizabeth got to see them before they were eliminated. I just can't figure out how they got so far behind the other teams since it was only a two-day leg.

I have no words about Jeff. Note to vegans thinking about getting on this show: Don't.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, May 20, 2023 - 10:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Bigdog and I have caught a few crabs in our time, more blue crabs in Florida, but also several years of catching Dungeness crabs in the Pacific Northwest where the waters are cold.

I had some hope for the Dad's doomed scheme of catching crabs actually working when he hit upon the idea of finding a dead fish and was then expecting the next scene to be him finding a dead fish. But when he went back and robbed his own larder of the cured/cooked/smoked salmon, it was never going to work, as evidenced by the shot of it breaking apart as he pulled it out of the pouch. That salmon would have been destroyed and dispersed by wave action in a few minutes, leaving him with an empty trap. A dead fish would have been held together by its external skin. We mostly crabbed using turkey or chicken necks.

But then another thing I thought of last episode when they showed the contents of the crab trap was that there was kelp everywhere. Isn't kelp both edible and high in nutrients? If I were a vegan and the producers didn't tell me it was poisoned, I sure would have been eating the kelp AND drying it for taking on the trail.

Just did a quick search and read some of the intros without reading the articles. Most of the intros indicated no warnings about eating kelp. One of them said all seaweed is edible. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=is+sea+kelp+edible%3F&ia=web

But shouldn't the Alaskans have known that? We just returned from an Alaska cruise yesterday, and spoke to some folks who went on an excursion, where they learned that the Alaskan schoolchildren start in 5th grade with classes on how to survive in the wilderness and ending in 8th grade when they are left on their own on an island to survive for a weekend.

OR, are the producers withholding that information from the contestants so they can have more starvation shows? Because if kelp is highly nutritious, and it is edible and portable, and it is pretty much everywhere at the coasts, that would eliminate the starvation aspect of the show.

We once took a snorkeling cruise ship shore excursion in Alaska (my idea, but somebody who really loves me bravely went along) just to see what it was like. We snorkeled in a shallow kelp forest. It was a LOT of kelp.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, May 20, 2023 - 10:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
They always seem to eat kelp in alone. I was thinking when I saw all of that.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, May 21, 2023 - 9:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I just think it is real weird that they are surrounded by kelp and nobody knows to eat it. I have not seen that other show.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, May 21, 2023 - 10:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Juju, the people in Alone are amazing!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, May 22, 2023 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New show tonight!!!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, May 22, 2023 - 7:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Thanks I almost missed it. I keep forgetting g how late it is on.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 23, 2023 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Wow, lots of nav errors last night, by almost all the teams. Looks like someone gets taken out by injury next week... that's really a shame at this point in the race. :-(

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, May 23, 2023 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Yes, the errors were kind of surprising. Plus I can't figure out where they are in Alaska, I am going to pull up the show website and see if they have any info.

I have been camping on a glacier and it was fun, but then again, we were in a park, LOL.

I hope it wasn't Dad that got hurt although I will admit I was having a hard time deciding who I thought should go this time.

I like all the teams left so it is a hard decision. I sort of decided I wanted the brother and sister to go but they have worked pretty hard and strategically so I don't know.

Someone getting injured and having to be evacuated will solve this problem for me, but I hope no-one is too terribly hurt.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, May 23, 2023 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Also, do we know if they are getting a stipend for being on the show, you know per episode amount.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, May 23, 2023 - 8:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Ohh, it stopped too soon. Definitely looks like an evacuation coming up.