TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 03, 2023

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: The Challenge: The Challenge: World Championship: Archive through April 03, 2023 users admin

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Tuesday, March 21, 2023 - 3:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Brenda, I had the Netflix for the DVD mailing service back when I had a DVD player. Streaming was just becoming a "thing" - maybe Netflix was the first or so it seems? That seems like a lifetime ago!!!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, March 21, 2023 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I know! Things have changed so much so quickly. Mail DVD's was SO innovative!

Janelle would have been great for the challenge many years ago. But not now.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, March 21, 2023 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I forgot about the mail dvds lol...technology is changing weekly now. You all remember when we didn't understand what the internet was? Lol

Today is the 40 year birthday of the CD!

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Tuesday, March 21, 2023 - 1:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I haven't had a DVD player for at least 10 years and I don't even miss it!!!

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Friday, March 31, 2023 - 3:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
I fell asleep during this week's episode but did they have a full episode (challenge, vote, arena elimination) this week? I was glancing online and it looked like some people were complaining that they didn't. I'm going to be out if they are going to keep dragging this out. At this rate, it will take six months to air this show.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, March 31, 2023 - 9:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
They did not. They had a challenge and vote, but no elimination. They drug it out because the vote was deadlocked, so no clear team voted in. The ending was that the winning couple could choose ANY team to go into elimination against the losing team.

Here's who won, etc:
Spoiler
Click below to view spoiler
Kiki and Darrell won, surprisingly, Wes and his partner lost because Wes pulled a boneheaded stunt that he thought would help but obviously didn't. Top couples in the vote were Jordan and ?, Grant and Jonae, and Yes and ? - sorry I can't remember all the names, there are so many new people! The tie was because Ben made a promise to vote in Jordan and partner, but didn't. Typical Ben. Poor Kasey!

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Friday, March 31, 2023 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Thanks Kar. Now I don't have to go back and watch what I missed. So I wonder if next week, it will be just an elimination or will they have a challenge? I'm seriously over the way they are dragging this out.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, March 31, 2023 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Me too.... I watch on my laptop and that 10 second forward button gets quite the workout!! If you're going to watch, FF to the comp, then to the vote, then to the end where TJ announces the consequence of not choosing.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, April 01, 2023 - 9:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Yes, I'm frustrated that they keep doing these "cliffhanger" type episodes. We are used to a format and it's annoying when they deviate and give us less in an episode. I hate it when the Bachelor does it to us as well!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Saturday, April 01, 2023 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
On The Challenge Podcast the reason for the cliffhanger is attributed to Wes being in the bottom two teams...due to his boneheaded decision of not drinking the smoothie. Zara regrets not speaking up, but she said she didn't want to drink the smoothie either. So it seemed a good call at the time.

I would rather have an "extended" episode, then them trying to cram everything into one. I like all the info they give. Politicking is a major part of the outcome in The Challenge. They agree on the Podcast, that this season, is probably the most heavy in that department, they have seen. But they are enthralled (as am I) by the machinations and plotting of it all.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, April 01, 2023 - 7:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
oh yeah, the plotting and politicking is interesting, but just give us a full episode. You're streaming! So you can go over an hour -- there is no time constraint. I want the episode to end with an elimination!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Saturday, April 01, 2023 - 8:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Lol...that is annoying, but they are doing it because it's Wes...cliffhanger. Who invented the damn cliffhanger anyway, I asked myself?!? So I Googled it....

"In 1978, the comedy television show Soap aired what is believed to be the first season cliffhanger on U.S. television—the season ended with an affair between two characters. The CBS soap opera Dallas, which aired from 1978-1991, featured a cliffhanger at the end of each season"

Now WHO is responsible for doing it at the end of every episode! LOL

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, April 02, 2023 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I understand some are interested in the politicking, but most of it seems repetitive, and too angst-filled for me.

Plus I hate the ones who brag (Wes, I'm looking at you). Was rather pleased to see him taken down a peg.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, April 02, 2023 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yeah, for those that do not enjoy that stuff...this would not be the show to watch lol

I enjoy Wes, as I do find his light hearted braggadocio (and good natured) amusing. Wes really is a mastermind at tactic. In the past they have shown everybody calling him for advice. They all value his game play. I kind of look at it on the level of Dr Will on BB. This time it seems like he may have made a slight error in judgment lol. But then nobody is perfect.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, April 02, 2023 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The show can be watched easily with FF... I still like the show, so I will still watch.

As for Wes being a master... he's only won 3 times (out of like 20 appearances?)

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, April 02, 2023 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I can't fast forward anything...I feel I miss out on the plot line. So I watch everything lol It's a curse

"Wes is the elimination king with 20 career victories, including dragging Casey to five exile wins on Fresh Meat, an excruciating victory over Derrick in Pole Wrestle on The Duel (which in my opinion is the greatest elimination of all-time), and a perfect 5-o record in the Champs vs. series"

So yeah I think he's doing pretty good lol He has been predominant in pretty much everything he's been in. He is highly respected by all of his peers. And really if you read his interviews he is really pretty low key. I think a lot of that persona is specifically for the show?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, April 02, 2023 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
LOL, Since, about the "curse."

As for Wes, elimination king is one thing... but winning the Challenge is what counts... as I've noted, he's only won 3 times out of 20 appearances. total winnings $300,000.
The fact that he has been put in elimination so many times is a sign he's a bad player, not a good one.

Compare that to Johnny, who has 7 wins, and CT's 9 wins (over 1 million in prizes).

I don't find Wes impressive. Your mileage may vary. :-)

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, April 02, 2023 - 3:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Oh, I find them BOTH impressive for different reasons. And yes the reason Wes is often put in an elimination is because he is feared.

Wes' network is 5 million and Bananas is 200k. Wes put his earnings towards returning to school. Double majoring in marketing and entrepreneurial management. Last I heard, he had over 30 companies. You saw his beautiful mansion in the Challenge where everyone stayed at his home.

I love Bananas...we share Alma Maters..my whole family went to Penn State. Bananas chose an "in front" of the camera career. He does Podcasts and hosts and appears in reality shows. I think he has done some acting.

Wes does Podcasts, but you have to pay for his lol. He doesn't really need the money. He bought a Lamborghini with his last winnings. He does the Challenges for the mere thrill of it. Many of those that appear on the show are driven by the need to win. This is their "job". I'm sure, if Wes goes home, he will be upset..not for himself, but because he will have taken a kick ass competitor with him. Zara is amazing.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, April 02, 2023 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Feared? or Disliked? (I think it's the latter). Like Survivor, part of this game is making alliances so you don't get put in elimination. Wes stinks at that, because no one wants to work with him. I don't think he does Challenges for the thrill, I think he does them to feed his (very large) ego!

Like I said, your mileage may vary. I don't find the guy likable. At. All. That's why my FF is very very handy... LOL.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, April 02, 2023 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Probably a little of both...but I think it's more fear? One usually does not get sent to elimination just because they aren't liked, if they don't also pose a threat. Turbo was a good combination of both though lol.

I think you need a healthy dose of ego in all the reality competitions to survive. Ego is not always a bad thing.

That's why I watch everything. I want to experience what happens myself, to see how it unfolds. Editing often skews opinions about the cast. Example: what live feeders opinions are on BB from those that only watch the show. That's why I balance out what the producers want to show me, by listening to interviews and reading articles etc.

From what I've read most everyone in the Challenge universe likes Wes. That is why everyone liked staying at his house.

The staged drama is for the show's entertainment factor. I have great respect for all the vets that originated from Real World and Road Rules. Pretty soon there won't be any of them left. They are getting too old. I am amazed they can still hang with the newbies.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, April 03, 2023 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, not a fan of staged drama. Or Wes, any way you slice him.... LOL. It's simple for me. I see what he says in confessionals. It's all ego, and that's not a person I could like, no matter how nice a house they had.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, April 03, 2023 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I'm sure no one likes Wes because of his house (me included)...but they liked staying there of course. Reality IS staged drama. Gone are the days of the cameras following around a group of people and catching their authentic day to day lives. Maybe not since Real World? But then there is the editing that shapes what we see. By the way, they are in the initial stage of possibly having a Austin Real World reunion show. They have asked everyone in cast if they were interested.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, April 03, 2023 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The editing doesn't put words in their mouths, Wes chooses his own words. :-)

Yes, there is editing, but people are who they are, and while the editing may exaggerate the villain edit, there has to be some actual footage that feeds into that. And Wes is happy to supply it.

Anyway, no point in going on and on, so I'm out! :-)

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, April 03, 2023 - 12:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yep it's called acting lol thats what reality shows are now. Pair that with editing and there is very little "reality" left.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, April 03, 2023 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Nelson was in a car accident in Texas. Minnesota Vikings wide receiver K.J. Osborn (who was in an Uber) and the Uber driver and other good Samaritans pulled him out of his car, that was on fire. Nelson has had reconstructive surgery on his leg where he now has plates and screws. They started a Go-Fund-Me for Nelson.