TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 19, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: The Challenge: The Challenge: USA: Archive through September 19, 2022 users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, September 17, 2022 - 6:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
This one did show up on my feed, however. Sarah says there were timeouts on every leg except the last one. And that Angela didn't read the sign. Unlike Tyson's sour grapes story.

"“I don’t think there was a confusion with the timing out,” Sarah counters. “At least, I wasn’t confused. After the swim, Dom and Angela [Rummans] didn’t complete that puzzle and they were done ‘cause they were last. So, you know, they technically timed out of that, I guess. And then Cayla finishes the next one, then Justine times out on hers. As far as Angela not timing out on the overnight one, the sign says ‘You have to unlock these bags to continue to the next leg.’ And so if you don’t move all your dirt and get the code, you can’t unlock the bags. Therefore, how would you move to the next leg? So, I mean, the rules were written right there. And then when I was on my puzzle that I ‘timed out’ of, it didn’t say there’s a timeout, but I wasn’t gonna quit.”"

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/the-challenge-usas-danny-and-sarah-on-winning-tyson-quitting/

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Saturday, September 17, 2022 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yeah, like you I have no interest in tracking down every Twitter/Google/Reddit interview or account I have read over the last 4 days. I don't know if I could even find them again to be honest. I only posted one, because it was the last one I read.

I'm sure if Angela understood she was going to be eliminated she would not have made the choice she did. On many podcasts, the opinion is, that somehow she misunderstood or wasn't told....but that she didn't quit the whole show on purpose. In the past most players have gotten warnings. Of course...true it was on the MTV version. We can't say what usually happens on this version.

But on Screen Rant that someone just sent me it...

"Several of the players involved have stated in interviews and on social media that they were forced to quit by production rather than timing out like in previous rounds and have expressed immense dissatisfaction with the show's production"

Thats why I'm saying...wait. I'm sure the truth, whatever it may be, will come out, at some point.

Tyson was pissed off...so of course he is going to recount it in a certain light. He definitely has his own opinion about production. But he had nuggets of info that correspond with some of the things others have said.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 4:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
There have been numerous times in the past contestants have been kicked off for not finishing a task (on the MTV version) and it was their mistake not understanding the rules…which were clear to the rest of the contestants (and audience). Just like whatever the total prize money is, is the total. Tyson is full of it because TJ referenced numerous times how the 500K would be divided. That is what usually happens with whoever wins in other seasons of the Challenge. (Individual winners or team winners depending on the season). I actually like the gaining money along the way because it’s incentive to win more then the 250K ..since whoever has more money then the other winner at the very end will go home with more than the 250K.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 8:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Legal, that's how I see it also. If you don't listen to the rules or pay attention to the rules, you may get kicked out. At the very beginning of this final, there is video of the host saying "if you quit any leg, you will be eliminated." Angela QUIT. Just the same as Enzo did. And I've seen a lot of surprise on the MTV versions also, right after they show the host saying the rule, and then the person gets kicked off for breaking it.

There are rules against laying a hand on another person, rules about the challenge winners not agreeing, rules about quitting a leg of the finale, and yet they always seem surprised when they are enforced. Except the veterans, they've seen people get kicked off, so they do pay attention to the rules.

I put the blame on the players.

Since, I don't believe anyone was forced to quit, until I see some actual evidence. The only people that are forced to quit are for medical reasons, or for fighting. If they were in danger of frostbite, yes, they may well have been forced to quit that last puzzle. And that's a smart thing, to avoid lawsuits.

If you do come across other info, other than podcasts, would appreciate it if you post it here. I did look briefly and found nothing but 30-45 minute podcasts and I just don't have time for that.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I don't know what that meant by people were forced to quit...or at what leg of the competition. And that was not a Tyson quote that was the person that was writing the article that said that. So I'm assuming that that person spoke to other players.

On Alyssa's Twitter which is public... someone made comments about the situation and she didn't answer but with a "!!!". I took that to mean that she agreed.

I don't remember specifically when the contestants were told the rules and seemed to understand them. We know very well that they can overlay voice on top of a scene and we would never know that it's not something that they said at the time. Not something I am going to go back and research

In the regular MTV Challenge, yeah, people quit. Like they don't want to jump off the high platform in to the water. Or they don't want to rappel down the side of the mountain etc. They end up going directly to the elimination face off as punishment.

Or if it's the last leg to the top of the mountain they just quit from exhaustion and they are out.

I don't remember them ever using it as a strategy. And that's what Angela did. In her mind she was using that move as a strategy. So to me clearly she didn't understand the rules. That doesn't mean that she was right or wrong.

I didn't like the fact that if all the other players finished...the top two winners pot would have been diminished by all those amounts and divided by two. Otherwise I think keeping the money you earned is a good idea. Incentive to finish as you say. And yet it certainly did not work on this show

I also am confused about the points system, as were others. Sarah was saying because her accumulated points were higher than other girls it did not matter if she got there after another girls. Did that mean that if she had (and I don't remember how many) let's say 7 points and another had say 4 points. Did that mean that even if Sarah got there AFTER the other girl...Sarah would have won with more points?

The fact that so many quit even though they would have kept their pot of money....an incentive never seen before. Seems to give us a clue that something might not be as we thought.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't assume anything I read on the internet is true.

And we all know by now we don't see everything that is filmed. So, they may well have been told many things we didn't see. The fact that we didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. For the road block where Angela quit, the sign seemed to be clear to others. You had to capture the two bags to be able to go on. So it was a stupid strategy if she didn't read the instructions to the challenge. It's like TAR, read the clue! :-)

As for the points system, I'm not sure Sarah was correct. I recall TJ saying that the last leg was worth more points than the previous legs, so I believed that gave everyone more of a chance to make up the point spread. I *think* the last leg was worth double? 10 points for first, versus 5 for the previous legs? That's what I recall.

The thing I like about the points system, as I said earlier, is that it works better than total accumulated time, which has always made the finale boring to me. This way, even if you finish last in a leg, you have a far better chance of making it up in later legs, making the finale more competitive.

The only real complaint I have is that I really didn't like a sodoku as the final leg puzzle. Danny had a clear advantage since he'd done so many of them. But it does take a lot of practice to be good at them. And it doesn't sound like they even provided the minimum amount of instruction, which really wasn't fair.

But even Cayla, whom I assumed would be good at them, gave up. And why were some of them not wearing their gloves!! So yeah, I do think that's why a lot of them quit at the end. They either had no clue how to sodoku, or their hands were in danger of frostbite. Or their feet.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 12:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
TJ clearly said whoever had the most points would win. The final leg had extra points so those behind could have taken the lead if they finished first on the mountain.

In Battle of the Exes II, Jay and Jenna finished third but didn’t get the prize money because they had purposefully quit the third checkpoint and thus were DQ (looked it up, it was drinking/flipping coasters). I want to say there was another instance too with an overnight checkpoint but I can’t find it.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
In order to discuss this, we have to start somewhere. We have two sources. We have what we saw on TV and we have accounts from the people who were there. Neither source is reliable. So there is lots we don't know for certain.

Things we do know or at least seem to be reasonable conclusions based on the above and confirmed by both Tyson and what we could see on the TV show.

The production was very poor.

There was no consistency and the rules were made up along the way. Some events you just timed out and others had to be completed to continue. The challenges were not explained in a reasonable manner.

A lot of people who were proven to be very tough and determined in the past decided to quit and received no prize money as a result.

The whole thing was a mess.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 12:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yes, quiting is clear...I watched all seasons of the Challenge. But it was never used as a strategy to get further in the game.

I understand it may have been a dumb move...or not a good strategy lol

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 1:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I was wondering...will the other countries have the same exact rules and challenges? Will it be as confusing? I'm assuming TJ will not be the host? I really don't know...

So I looked around to see what I could find...what I found was more confusion lol

"The Challenge Global Tournament Will Reportedly Feature ‘Winners’ From the MTV Flagship. The question is: who will be competing?

According to internet spoiler accounts, The Challenge Global Tournament will feature a number of “winners” from the MTV flagship. But, their definition of the term is definitely up for debate.

The Challenge Global tournament will have competitors from a number of different countries. It should come as no surprise that a global tournament would have competitors from numerous countries. MTV announced in February 2022 that the War of the Worlds competition would feature players from the United States, Australia, the United Kingdom, and Argentina. And all have previously competed on their country’s versions of The Challenge series.

These contestants will be battling it out for a cash prize and the first-ever title of Challenge World Champion. But are all of the players actually past Challenge winners?

Players who haven’t actually won The Challenge are being considered for the global tournament. They also revealed that players from the new The Challenge: USA — who won their original series — have also been contacted. There have been finalists that have never won contacted (Ex: Kyle/Nany/Aneesa),” Gamer tweeted. “There have been challengers that have won their OG show but never made a final contacted (EX: Josh/Natalie A/Tyson).

It’s also extremely likely that the tournament will see a few Challenge newcomers who won either Big Brother or Survivor. As for the international cast members, that list remains to be seen.

And, fans can expect to see at least one of The Challenge: USA cast members to compete in The Challenge: War of the Worlds."

Wow ..does that last statement mean one of them (either Sarah or Danny) backed out? They both did make it seem kind of iffy if they were going to compete in the Global Challenge. Which I understand because people that have lives can't just drop everything.

I am interested to read about these other Global Challenges and see how they went. If there was any of the same confusion. This article makes it seem like they will be a sprinkling perhaps of people from other countries and there will be people that didn't even compete in the USA Challenge.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The entire thing seems very amateurish to me compared to network TV productions like Survivor and The Amazing Race. I still enjoyed watching it but I would prefer it to be a bit more polished and better put together.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 2:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Same here Jimmer

Lexie_girl

07-30-2004

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lexie_girl a private message Print Post    
Sincebb1: I thought it was real interesting that they said they were misled about the actual amount of the winner's prize. When they agreed to go on the show, they were under the impression that if they won the finale, they won $500,000. They had no idea they had to split the pot. I would not be surprised if either Danny or Sarah backed out.

I do think it was worse than what we saw. I remember Jeff Probst saying what we don't see is he may spend 45 minutes explaining a challenge so he's comfortable that everyone knows how to run the challenge - that no one has any questions. He also said that CBS has someone out their to monitor the integrity of the challenges. I would love to know what CBS's Standards and Practices has to say about this. Were they on the set like they are with Survivor and Amazing Race?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I've watched the Challenge since it started. Tyson has already said things that are demonstrably not accurate. I still don't see any rules being made up along the way - only Tyson said that happened (that I have seen so far). Was there something on the show that I missed that confirmed that?

And most of the challenges were explained well, or we didn't see how they were or weren't explained. The only one I could find fault with was the final puzzle.

I didn't think the whole thing was a mess. I think the Challenge producers were used to there being a bunch of veteran Challenge competitors who didn't need to be handheld thru it. This show is not Survivor or BB, or anything else. It's the Challenge, and it's brutal and twisty. That's the game.

And I don't believe that they were mislead about the prize money, but the fact is, if you've watched the Challenge, how the money gets divided at the end, or what the options are often surprises at the end. That's not new. Heck, there was a season when the first person of the TEAM that won (and the team had competed together all season including the finale) could deny ANY money to their teammate and keep it all for themselves. And twice, they did. For real.

And the amount varies from show to show as well, as little as $250,000 total prize money to as much as $1 million.

That's the vibe of the Challenge. It really IS expect the unexpected. :-)

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
In many of the articles it states that they got their info from multiple cast members. Meaning not just Tyson. They also hint that they can't name names because these people are still under contract and want to continue in good standing with Viacom. In private though, not so much.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
yeah, I'm not a big fan of "anonymous sources." Wouldn't Tyson be under the same contract? Leo?

I haven't seen "many" articles, even tho I looked for them. In fact, I have only been able to find two, the interview with Tyson, and the interview with Sarah (which are clearly quite different). I'd still love to see those links.

I'm just looking for some proof. :-)

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Obviously some people don't care about playing nice and don't care to if they go back and work with them.

If you believe that I'm making up the articles that I've read....they are out there for everyone.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, September 18, 2022 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Interesting article about the problems from Reality Blurred.

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2022/09/challenge-usa-final-shocking-claims/

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, September 19, 2022 - 1:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I just was listening to some podcasts. I figured some of you might be interested. Johnny and Mark had a few funny things to say about Challenge USA.

Residency Podcast. Interview with Johnny Bananas Devenanzio

Interviewer: Why do you think a lot of pro athletes never did well on the challenge spin off shows?

Bananas : "For reasons I just explained to you…the thing is, because they're used to everything….1st of all they're used to playing a game with rules, and everything's fair. And this one is just changing and there's no f****** rules. As in, all is fair in love war and the challenges. Because dude, the game constantly changes. The game is constantly evolving. There are no rules. It's basically whatever TJ feels is fair that day."

Bananas says how the MTV Challenge audience is an older demographic than other reality shows

"Because the challenge is a very unique fan base. We're really the only show on MTV that has...that we obviously skew towards an older demographic. But that's because the fans that watch the show have been watching for 17 to 20 years. Dude they've grown up watching the same cast members do it. Their twenties and thirties or forties whatever with the same people on it's like...You introduce a bunch of idiots from like Big Brother and Love Island and Survivor and there're like (the fans), I'm good. You can't do that.

Interviewer : Or you can have have a couple. You can't have 70% of them"

He also talks about how they used to have a budget of $1500 a week for alcohol. They had to sky dive on one challenge, in the morning, after being up all night drinking. They were all either still drunk or hung over. He said now they count drinks and hardly give them any booze.

On another podcast with Johnny Bananas and Mark Long. The two of them discuss why they think they didn't have any MTV people on the Challenge USA. They both said that it was good that they had all first timers on by themselves. Because the MTV people would have eaten Challenge USA people for breakfast lol They confirmed that on the World Challenge there will be an MTV "squad". Interestingly they said they don't know if they are going to keep them separated by counties or mix them up. Hadn't considered that possibility. They still said they are going to pick them off one by one.

Johnny said he would happily come back for an Allstars. And said be sure to watch the docu-series next Wednesday. He said the new MTV Ride Or Dies coming in October is great!

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Monday, September 19, 2022 - 2:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
I just did a google search and read articles PRE final... Tyson and others made no hint of any of these problems they now are talking about. Sure they cant give away what happens in the final but to me, for someone like Tyson to say no one has a chance of beating him in the final, and if he quits. everyone would quit, does not fully translate to what he knew happened in the final.

I think they saw the final version portrayed on TV and that let them make these statements - like Kar said, where is the evidence?

If "producers" stole clothes on set why is Tyson the only one saying that? Someone can easily say the rules are in my head as a joke in the middle of a conversation - doesnt mean they also are not written out. Maybe I am biased because i never have had any trust in Tyson... but I want more than what i saw online - which were like 3-4 articles, some of which repeated what other articles said. Where are comments from Cayla?

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, September 19, 2022 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
What I can discern from all of the information we have available and from this discussion is that people who are long-term fans and familiar with the show and format are comfortable with how it played out because it played out in a manner that is consistent with how all prior seasons of The Challenge played out. It's a crazy show that is very loosely produced where there are no rules (except what the show runners think is right at the time) and practically anything goes. There's nothing wrong with that if that is what you enjoy.

Viewers (and some contestants) expecting a show along the line of Survivor or The Amazing Race weren't as happy with it.

Neither group is wrong. The long-term fans were expecting The Challenge that they know and like and that's what they got. The Survivor and Amazing Race fans and some contestants were expecting a show consistent with what CBS has produced in the past (because it was on CBS) and they were disappointed.

Obviously, CBS had practically nothing to do with this show aside from airing it on their network. Look at the CBS website for it. It is bare bones. Nothing there at all.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, September 19, 2022 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
"Neither group is wrong"

Thank you. It's a realty show or as I call them, fake reality show, and we're just viewers reacting to different personalities based on our own tastes. It's okay to not like the same people or be happy or unhappy with the end of a show.

Thank you to Since and Pamy for the links and info they shared. I appreciated it.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, September 19, 2022 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Sincebb1, I never said you were making them up. I *have* looked and can't find them.

All I'm asking is if you come across them again, you share them. I'd really like to read them. I'm willing to have my mind changed, but I'd need more proof than a sore loser Tyson.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, September 19, 2022 - 9:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Pamy, that article is just a rehash of Tyson's one interview, as many of them are.

I agree that if their things were stolen, that was bad.

There is nothing unusual about confessionals being out of order and people being told to change their clothes... we see that all. the. time. on Big Brother.

There are still no other specific claims other than Tyson's, and his just seem like sour grapes, frankly.

I still agree that specific instructions on how to solve a sodoku should have been given.

I'm still in the same place and still haven't seen a single specific claim made by anyone but Tyson.

Or Leo, claiming that he really won a challenge, but it was given to Ben. I don't believe that either.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, September 19, 2022 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the interview with Johnny... it confirms what I said earlier... the Challenge didn't change, it's just that these contestants weren't really knowledgable about it or prepared for it. It's twisty and HARD physically... the finale is always nightmarish.