TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 22, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Talent/Variety Shows: America's Got Talent: Archive through July 22, 2021 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, June 10, 2021 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thx Legal!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, June 15, 2021 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I remember seeing Storm Large years ago. Darn! I cannot remember the name of the show.They were looking for a lead singer for a band. Seems like the first group was INXS, but they weren't the only ones. It was a really good show.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, June 15, 2021 - 10:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
She’s now lives in Portland. We see her a lot locally on tv, every time there’s some sort of music performance involved. Yeah, she was on a show called Rock Star, Supernova in 2006. She’s done a lot of local theatre too.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, June 16, 2021 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Thank you! Tried to look it up on IMDB.com. That website is not as good as it used to be. Wow, 15 years ago. No wonder I barely remember it.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Wednesday, June 16, 2021 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
Mameblanche, I love the Nightbirde woman singer! she only has a 2% chance to beat her cancer. my heart hurts for her.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, June 16, 2021 - 5:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I’m not a mean person (and I hope everyone here knows that) but what has her having cancer got to do with her talent?

I remember Storm. I thought she was talented and had spirit.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Thursday, June 17, 2021 - 4:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I think it’s more of a testament to her desire to pursue her dream even though she is face with a very huge obstacle.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, June 17, 2021 - 6:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, you old meanie! (Just kidding!!!)

FWIW, ironically, DH has very little patience with the background stories too, and would agree with you 100%. (We just argued about that this week. Lol) He tends to fast-forward directly to the talent portions when he watches solo, and skips the background stories. (We tape all our shows to watch at our leisure.)

But I love them! I would argue that the background stories are always a vital component on these type of shows, like AI, as well as AGT, etc, which allows us to get to know about the performers, keeping in mind it's not the judges, but, we the audience, who ultimately choose the winner.

While the background stories, for me anyways, can be the most compelling element, if the performance is an utter disaster, while it would be a huge disappointment, I'm realistic enough to accept they don't deserve to move forward, or if they do squeak through, that they must either improve, or they justifiably get the boot.

For instance, y'all are talking about Storm Large, (never heard of her) but because of the chatter here about her, I was excited to see her perform. Clearly she's experienced and talented, but I admit to being very disappointed in her song choice, although I do want to see what she does next time, so was glad she got put through. My point is that if I hadn't been aware of her, thanks to you guys, I would have been much less invested in whether she moved on or not.

Sorry this is longwinded... just hope it makes sense.

ETA... ITA 100% with Denecee!

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, June 17, 2021 - 8:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think that makes perfect sense from an entertainment perspective. :-)

It’s one of the reasons that the Olympics draw such large ratings. Some people enjoy the background stories they do about the athletes while others focus more on the actual competition.

Of course, the actual Olympic results aren’t (or shouldn’t be) influenced by the backstories. The fastest person wins the race, regardless of their backstory.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, June 17, 2021 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
The fastest may win the race but the backstory gets movies (hallmark vs lifetime depending ON the backstory), books, speaking gigs, endorsements past the immediate moment, etc.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, June 17, 2021 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I also enjoy the backstories and hearing what people have been able to overcome in their journey. When I was finally finishing my degree (English Lit) back in the 90s, one of my teachers told us that wanting to know about an author and their background is a very American thing. It used to be that people just read an author and judged him or her on the merits of their work. But now we like to know all about the author and perhaps what inspired their perspective. I blame it on People magazine!

I think it's the same with performers. So interesting to hear where they've come from and what they've had to overcome.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Friday, June 18, 2021 - 11:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
me too, Babyjaxmom and ditto Mameblanche's last post!

the illness has nothing to do with how well she can sing, but I knew as soon as I saw her that she wasn't well, health wise. I loved her original song and her voice was amazing!

Vsmart

02-09-2003

Friday, June 18, 2021 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
The Tae kwon do group was amazing, but what can they do for an encore?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, June 18, 2021 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Luv Legal's post! Excellent point. :-) (Wish I'd thought of it.)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, June 29, 2021 - 6:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I've never understood how these quick-change artists do it. She was amazing.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, June 29, 2021 - 9:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Yeah, HOW?

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Thursday, July 08, 2021 - 6:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
There was some amazing talent on Tuesday night!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, July 08, 2021 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Yes! I said the same thing to DH last night. :-)

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Wednesday, July 14, 2021 - 10:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Has anybody else noticed that the background music and the fake CGI crowd noise on this show totally drown out everything else? I sometimes have to turn on my CC, cause I can't hear what anyone is saying! Totally drives me nuts!

Anyone else, or is it the settings on my TV?

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Thursday, July 15, 2021 - 7:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I haven't noticed it at all.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, July 15, 2021 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
It's only on this show.

Nyeratheart

09-03-2010

Friday, July 16, 2021 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nyeratheart a private message Print Post    
I have to put on cc all the time for this show. Luckily they’re pretaped so it works. Once they go live we’re out of luck. It never works right

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Friday, July 16, 2021 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Once they go live, maybe they'll have an actual real live audience instead of the CGI fake audience and the taped sounds. I think it's just too loud. Perhaps the real audience will be more balanced. We'll see.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, July 21, 2021 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Lots of good acts last night. I wonder what the ones think that got 4 yeses, but yet they don't go to the live shows. There are a lot of them.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Thursday, July 22, 2021 - 5:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I know, such fun talent this year, I'm really enjoying it. Did they say the have to get it down to 36 or cut 36?