TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 08, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Cooking Shows: Great American (Holiday) Baking Show: Archive through December 08, 2017 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Was it the finale last night? I totally forgot to watch.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It doesn't look like it repeats, although mine shows eps 1 and 2 on demand, so perhaps the finale will eventually go on there.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
It's on Hulu. That's where I've watched it all season because I missed wk 1 and then kept forgetting it was on...

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I went on abc.com and watched it, wasn't sure if it would be there but it was so I got it done.

I thought the winner was fine, Lauren, it seemed like she did the best on all three of the night's tests. I did like Nicole though, she was really enjoyable to watch cook.

And I think that Tim really did improve a lot and did a really interesting cake as well.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed it.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 10:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
This year they're calling it The Great American Baking Show but I wasn't sure I should start a new thread since it stills seems to have a holiday feel.

Mary Berry is back and the 2nd judge is Johnnie Luzzini. I'm not familiar with him but he seems fine.

This past year, I have been obsessed with bundt cakes and looking to buy a new pan so it was fun to watch them make bundt cakes in the first challenge.

There are 10 bakers to start and there will be 8 episodes. It's just started but so far so good. Perfect timing to get in the holiday baking spirit!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 10:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Not sure but it looks like they will be doing two episodes back to back each week and the show wii end on Dec 21st with 3 finalists.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 10:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I picked the first 2 going home in the first 15 mins of the first hour. It was too obvious. My favorite is Prachi.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 10:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
btw, I had no idea that's how biscotti was made! I mean the double bake. Very interesting....

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, December 02, 2016 - 9:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Now I want some biscotti! It tickled me that Mary Berry didn't know what a snickerdoodle was!!

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, December 02, 2016 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I don't know why this show is only meh for me but GBBO is one of my favorite things to watch. I don't think I like Nia Vardalos and Ian Gomez enough--they are no Mel and Sue--and Johnny Iuzzini strikes me as both too serious and lacking in gravitas compared to Paul Hollywood. Even the lovely Mary Berry strikes me as less natural and spontaneous than she is on GBBO.

I should probably set all that aside and judge it on its own merits, but that's probably impossible for fans of its British counterpart. And granted, this show is not nearly as terrible as the show a few years ago with Paul Hollywood (and hosted, terribly, by Jeff Foxworthy), but it lacks...something. Maybe the commercials take away from the dramatic tension they've been able to build in the UK version? I don't know.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, December 02, 2016 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I always have that reaction, Tish, to the American versions of this show but I still watch simply because I love baking - especially at this time of year.

I actually did like the very first season here with Foxworthy. Too bad Hollywood had to blow it up with his affair. It hasn't been the same since.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, December 02, 2016 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
This version is rushed, because you lose about 20mins to adverts, so even if the sweet moments that make the UK show so special happen, we don't have time to see them. Another thing about time, I noticed them taking things out of the oven yesterday and one was a good colour, one was crumbly etc., and I had no idea who the bakes belong to, they just rushed through everything.

But I enjoyed it all the same, and am very tempted to make Mary Berry's almond and apple cake, it looked perfect.

By the way, I think Mary Berry isn't as natural because so many things are different in a tent full of Americans. You can't say things he way you normally say things, because they don't get it, or you use a normal phrase and people make fun of it. And then there's the difference in taste preferences, like snickerdoodles, which basically taste of sugar with a hint of cinnamon. To British tastes, no one wants that!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, December 02, 2016 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
It is weird having these other people instead of the British ones.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Saturday, December 17, 2016 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
It's funny how much the competition goes back and forth. Any time someone can have a good or bad day, it seems.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, December 19, 2016 - 11:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
The bakers are just infinitely worse on this show than on GBBO. It's actually embarrassing

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 7:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I understand baking isn't easy and I know something about it and have baked quite a bit myself (ever since my childhood, as my Dad was a baker and VP of a large baking company). Still, I wonder how they chose these contestants.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Sunday, December 03, 2017 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
The 2017 season of The Great American Baking Show premieres this Thursday, Dec. 7th, on ABC with two-hour episodes in a 3-week run. Paul Hollywood and Johnny Luzinni are the judges. Ayesha Curry and Anthony "Spice" Adams are the hosts.

It's baking. It's the holidays. I'll watch.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
MAN!!! There are a LOT of shows on tonight I want to watch!

Carlpsmom

01-03-2004

Thursday, December 07, 2017 - 11:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Carlpsmom a private message Print Post    
I missed the Great American Baking Show. I hope they have it OnDemand.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 08, 2017 - 2:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I liked it!

Roteach

06-01-2003

Friday, December 08, 2017 - 6:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
Johnny and Paul together were fun. The hosts are kind of low energy. I kind of like last year's hosts better. Love the bakers though.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, December 08, 2017 - 6:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The blond woman with the glasses seems miles above the rest. That yule log was incredible.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Friday, December 08, 2017 - 9:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
It was a 2 hour premier...I was slightly bore and couldn't make it through the 2nd hour...will watch tonight. The blonde with the glasses did seem much more talented than the rest. We will see how she deals with next challenges. I agree it was a low energy show.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, December 08, 2017 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I fell asleep in the middle.