TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 21, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Ancestry: Who Do You Think You Are...: Archive through May 21, 2017 users admin

Bb_dior

03-20-2014

Monday, March 16, 2015 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bb_dior a private message Print Post    
Josh Groban's story was fascinating

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, March 16, 2015 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Is it being repeated?

Roteach

06-01-2003

Monday, March 16, 2015 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
I really enjoyed the episode that featured Josh Groban. I'll have to remember to watch on Sundays that Masterpiece doesn't last longer than an hour.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I always particularly enjoy the show when they are able to go way back into the 1600s. I was surprised they found so much of his past in Germany. I imaging during WWII much more of the written history was lost than was saved what with the country being bombed to smithereens.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Just saw an advert for ancestry.com, access is FREE through Monday, if anyone is interested. Don't know if there is a catch!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Saturday, April 18, 2015 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
The immigration/travel records are free, but I don't think any others are. I've been grabbing all I can get my hands on last night and today.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
WDYTYA is back! This last Sunday was Ginnifer Goodwin, which will be repeated at 5pm on Sunday, new shows are 6pm Sundays on TLC. Coming up:

Ginnifer Goodwin (last week)
JK Rowling (odd, because she was on the UK show back in 2011, don't know if it is a repeat of that)
Alfre Woodward
Tom Bergeron
Bryan Cranston

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Great lineup for WDYTYA. Really enjoyed Ginnier's ep. Poor thing was shocked with what she discovered.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
This is definitely a quality show. I truly enjoy it.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 11:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
What happened to the J.K. Rowling ep for tonight? They showed Cynthia Nixon's ep again instead! :-(

Kitt yes it's advertised as a repeat of the 2011 ep, I think, but I don't care as I haven't seen it. :-)

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Monday, August 03, 2015 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
I saw the JK Rowling EP last night. I don't know if it was a repeat or not. My DVR picked it up as a new show.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Lucky you, Jag! :-) It was listed here for 9:00 pm dated 2011. I was really looking forward to it and then instead they repeated the Cynthia Nixon ep here. :-(

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 10:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think it's because it was the British version of the show, and maybe the US got the rights to it but somehow not Canada?? A bit annoying for you!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hi Kitt, I checked both the Canadian and American stations here and it was listed on both and yet not shown on either. :-( I can only hope that next week they might show in the earlier repeat show at 8 pm.

Cino_b

06-08-2006

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cino_b a private message Print Post    
I saw the JK Rowling EP Sunday nite and it was really a good one.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Fantastic show with Alfre Woodard this week. Amazing to be able to find out so much in those hard times.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
WDYTYA started tonight again on TLC @ 9:00 pm. It started with Aisha Tyler finding out about her ancestry. I'm sure it will be repeated next Sunday @ 8:00 pm.
I didn't know it was on but my DVR picked it up.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
It is really a great show, Aisha is so excited to learn about her family, there are some hard parts as well

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, April 04, 2016 - 8:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
OPB had a marathon on over the weekend, but it cut over to something else right in the middle of one of the episodes. I was really into watching the marathon. It was so interesting.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
WDYTYR starts next Sunday 3/5 on TLC. Haven't seen the line up yet.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, February 26, 2017 - 4:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Thx!!! Got it timed in now.

Courtney Cox is first up and according to Wikipedia, the others include: Jessica Biel, Julie Bowen, Jennifer Grey, Smokey Robinson, John Stamos, Liv Tyler and Noah Wyle.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
WOOOT!!! Just got my Ancestry DNA results. Fortunately, my sister and four first cousins from both sides of the family took it as well, so I've been working their results while waiting for my own. So far, the results have helped me solve three different mystery links in the family - SCORE!! This is a genealogists dream resource - TOTALLY recommend.

Also, I've been enjoying the U.S. and U.K. versions of WDYTYA?, although Julie Bowen seemed like a real nut job and they've really skirted close to the line of whizzing off half of their audience with a clearly liberal POV. It got better as the season wore on.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I have used my DNA results to connect with a few cousins, near and distant. It's frustrating when I check out someone's tree and find no sources or inaccurate information. I thought my tree was a mess until I started looking at others. At least I am trying to find and source correct information now that I know better.

One person who contacted me has an interesting mystery that I'm enjoying. Her dad never knew who his biological father was. Her DNA closely matches mine and my half-brother's. She and I have been working through hints together. Many people with matches don't answer when you contact them, though, so we haven't made much progress yet.

GAL, have you uploaded your results to gedmatch.com? There are some cool colored graphs you can look at to see exactly where each of your strands match others.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Mak, I have not - sadly I haven't even uploaded my oversized pedigree chart to Ancestry (which I refused to do before this because they did exactly what I thought they would do - collect everyone's information for free and then lock it down and charge them for it.) I will look into gedmatch next week - thanks for the info, Mak1!!

ETA yes the misinformation is frustrating, especially when you're trying to explain to a newly-found relative that their information is incorrect. Fortunately I started genealogy back in the days where you did it the hard way, and you HAD to go to original sources to move forward - so I know what's what when I see it. People are too quick to say "hey that looks good" and connect information to their own trees that has no basis in fact.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
I use the free account at gedmatch. There is more information available if you want to upgrade to a paid account, but I have enough to play with without upgrading.

Yes, people can be very overeager or lazy, or maybe just uninformed, when adding information to their trees. I hate that Ancestry holds my work hostage! Maybe someday I'll take the time to copy it all over into some other program. That's my plan, anyway. What type of program do you keep your chart in?