TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 22, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Cooking Shows: Great American (Holiday) Baking Show: Archive through December 22, 2015 users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 12:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Thanks for that, Kitt. I'll keep checking then! Appreciate it!

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 4:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
I watched it on demand yesterday. Sometimes ABC shows are there the next day then disappear for a week. If it's something I really want to see, I always check the next day.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Weird, I checked last night and it wasn't on my On Demand.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
and the On Demand commercials are SO annoying- because it just repeats the same darned ones, and I can't fast forward of course, nor can I change the channel! I hate On Demand for that reason! silly I know!

I really wonder about how they chose contestants both in the regular British Great Baker as well as these "top 6" I think part of the charm of the show is they really aren't that great of bakers, that they truly are ammatures, which I think works.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 12:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I enjoyed it.. maybe not as much as the British regular version but still it was okay. The hosts were sort of meh and I agree it is hard to believe they didn't have somewhat more skilled people with such a short list of bakers.

But definitely one to watch.

Jimmer, did your daughter like the gingerbread structures?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 7:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Oh yes she did. She is a huge fan of all of these shows and knows a remarkable amount about baking.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 7:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Don't forget Part 2 of Top Chef is on Bravo tonight!

Scout

01-19-2005

Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I liked the first episode of Top Chef but it seems really unfair in some ways. Maybe it's always been this way, but it seems like they have an awful lot of contestants that are already very successful competing against others just starting out.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 10:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It was on On Demand last night and I eventually got through it, though Comcast kept trying to foil those attempts. First the commercials, had to "jump" forward 10 minutes and then rewind to avoid watching them. Then I had two shows come up for recording and apparently while you can watch a previously recorded show while this is happening, you can't watch On Demand. Then the emergency test.

And each time it got interrupted and I went back, it looked like it would restart where I left off, but no. Restarted at the beginning.

Scout

01-19-2005

Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scout a private message Print Post    
I liked the show, maybe not as much as the British version, though,
I love Mary Berry - she always seems to find something nice to say about the dish.

The British Baking Show is definitely my favorite. We have watched all the seasons of it, and a couple of the ones from The Great Irish Bake-off, which is also pretty good.
Only saw one episode of the Great Australian Bake off, but it didn't feel the same at all.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I actually remembered to watch this tonight. So excited!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I have made a lot of homemade whipped cream in my time and I have never had it turn into butter. Of course I didn't put my whipping cream into a kitchenaide mixer and essentially walk away.

I used a hand mixer so I was always aware of the consistency.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 7:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
heh. I deliberately made butter twice, but that was deliberate and it took a long time. Walking away does it. ETA - I was trying to show them things about cooking and the properties of matter.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I like it too, and I like the judges. But I miss the hosts of the British version. These two try to be funny, but they just miss the mark.

Cablejockey

12-26-2001

Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
I was happy to find this show! I love the Christmassy recipes and challenges.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
What I do like is that they didn't try to change it from the British version... other than the hosts.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 9:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Does anyone know where it's being filmed? The test and appliances are an exact match for the British show, but I'd be surprised if they flew American bakers over to the UK.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Apparently they did. My mom commented on that so I looked it up and it is filmed in the same place. Maybe that is why it is such a short series?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, December 09, 2015 - 11:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
If the Mary Berry won't come to you, you have to come to the Mary Berry!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 12:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And the tents and the whole set up too.

I would much prefer the British hosts.. they are funny, offbeat, and completely unafraid of sounding silly.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I agree, Seamonkey, I miss their zaniness and their genuine caring for the contestants... those are tough shoes to fill.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Thursday, December 10, 2015 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Except this series is so short that you don't have time to really care for them individually.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, December 12, 2015 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the filming info. I not only miss the British hosts, but I miss Paul, too. He and Mary together are gold!

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, December 14, 2015 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Ainslee out. Final three are Tim, Nicole, and Lauren.

March

10-02-2003

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send March a private message Print Post    
Does anyone know if they are going to show this weeks show again? I set it to record and all I got was a football game.