TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 20, 2015

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Cooking Shows: The Great British Bake Off Series Five: Archive through September 20, 2015 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Just went to record the show and my guide says it's season 4 (2013) not season 2 (2011) like it says online. Don't know which is true. Season 4 was good too though, but missing Robert. I loved Robert!

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 6:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
My guide shows two seasons starting this week, both on PBS. Tonight is the current season premiere and on Thursday is the season premiere from 2013. I never saw the 2013 one so going to record both (if descriptions are accurate)

Jasper

09-14-2000

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Im going to record both to see but I think they're both season 2. That's what the descriptor says as well as 2015 which we know it's not.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Mine doesn't say which season, just the year. Wouldn't 2013 be the 3rd season? Lol maybe they are just making it all up and we will get Married with Children reruns.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 11:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
2013 is season 4. That's the one my PBS on tv guide says it is, but the main PBS website and my local PBS website say it's Season 2 from 2011.

I can't find a different season show on Thursday on mine.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Our PBS doesn't even have it. :-(

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
2015 is on here now, but I forgot to record it!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Mine was Season 4, 2013.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Hmmmm.. mine said Season 2, episode 1 (2015).

I have no clue.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
My recording says New. Season Premiere.

As long as it is new to me, I'm super happy!!! haven't watched yet..

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, September 07, 2015 - 8:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Definitely season 2. Ruby seems like a very sad girl, no confidence. Poor Toby knew he was a goner, not his day at all.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Monday, September 07, 2015 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Thanks Jasper, it was new to me, and I keep meaning to check to see what season I was watching. They were wearing coats, as opposed to last season when it was so hot things melted.

Here's a link to the "Meet the Bakers"
http://www.pbs.org/food/features/great-british-baking-show-season-2-meet-bakers/

Rob, can we say he's a "rocket" scientist? He is a scientist, a space satellite designer, engineer. He seems confident, definitely has cooking skills, but seems to apologize that he's not a baker to the judges. I see him going very far!

This early, I see more of those that are on the bottom, then on the top.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, September 07, 2015 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
I've not seen this season either but know it is an older one as I had heard of a couple of contestants elsewhere. I hope they keep showing all the seasons. And I love Mel and Sue. I get a kick out of how many ways they can say "bake".

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, September 07, 2015 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Jasper, if you're watching a season with Ruby and Toby in it, it is definitely Season 4 of the original UK show, from 2013.

I think PBS renamed the UK seasons in the order that they're showing. So they skipped UK S1 and UK S2, showed UK S3 and called it S1, and now they're calling this UK S4 their S2. Really confusing!

Anyway, enjoy!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, September 07, 2015 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Kitt, it is confusing, and thank you for clearing it up. That makes sense.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Monday, September 07, 2015 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
That explains a lot Kitt, thanks!! I haven't watched it yet, hubby is binge watching Game of Thrones. Lol not complaining, with it being a long weekend, it was bound to be tv or golf. :-)

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, September 07, 2015 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Really?! lol. I didn't want to go and look anything up and be spoiled so thank you Kitt. I'll have to look the real Season 1 and 2 up.

Rubyroo77

08-12-2005

Monday, September 14, 2015 - 10:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rubyroo77 a private message Print Post    
Thank you Reader for posting the link. PBS can be so confusing. For the first episode it said it was on from 6 to 6:30. I thought that was odd because it's usually an hour. I dvr'd it and sure enough...it only taped the last half hour.
I love this show, so whoever put up the reminder, I thank you. I feel so peaceful watching this show.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, September 14, 2015 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I just love the hosting on this show as much as I love the baking. It's so well done.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Season 2 Episode 2
They are making bread

One baker is mixing (Or - ee - gone - o) tried to show the pronunciation
as I wonder if its the same as (or - ray - ga - no) i.e. oregano?

they are using fresh, but since they chopped it up, I didn't recognize the leaves!

I love this show! I wonder, for their show stoppers they are using their own recipes, and they talk about "next week" I wonder if they are given an idea of what next weeks competition will be so they can bring their recipe, and special ingredients (like sour dough starter)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes oregano and what you guys call o'rregannno are the same thing ;).

I think they are told about the next week's challenge at the end of the session. In the UK they film on the weekends only, so they can do their day jobs during the week, and also use that time to decide upon and practice their first and third challenges, both of which they are told about the previous weekend. And they know the middle challenge (the technical one) is likely to be a classic from Mary Berry's books (and occasionally Paul's) so they can also practice some of those too, if they're not familiar with them.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
hahahahha, Kitt, I always crack up at the different pronunciations. I wonder how we (Americans) started using that pronunciation.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 5:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Thank you Kitt!! I have got to get across the pond!

I know there is a difference between Italian and Greek Oregano, so thank you for the information!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, September 19, 2015 - 6:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think the American pronunciation is actually closer to the Italian, so I bet it came from Italian immigrants.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Basil is pronounced quite differently, too. I used to watch the Two Fat Ladies, so their UK pronunciations worked their way into my US speech. :-)