TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 04, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Adventure: American Ninja Warrior: Archive through June 04, 2014 users admin

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Monday, May 07, 2012 - 1:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Yay! I just saw a promo for "American Ninja Warrior".

It's confusing...I saw an NBC promo that said it starts on NBC on May 21, but the article I found says it airs on NBC and G4...and that the two hour premiere airs on G4 on Sunday May 20 and a one hour episode airs on NBC on Monday the 21st.

Also, apparently the whole thing has moved to America because the Japanese company that ran the giant obstacle course in the finale (and who created this sport) went bankrupt.

Here's an article I found (dated April 13, 2012):

American Ninja Warrior Returns Next Month [May]

Fans of American Ninja Warrior, rejoice! The show is returning for a fourth season starting on Sunday, May 20th. The show will air across both its original G4 network, along with the more mainstream NBC. This is good news for the program, as it will reach a much wider audience.

New, two-hour episodes will air on Sundays on G4, and one-hour episodes on Mondays on NBC, through the finale on July 23rd.

The show itself is kind of a mix of Wipeout and American Gladiators, pitting ordinary folks against one another on a ridiculously tough obstacle course modeled after the course on the Japanese game show Sasuke. Finalists will appear in Las Vegas for the final competition, vying for the title of American Ninja Warrior.

If you find Wipeout to be a little too silly and prefer your competition shows to have more of an edge, give Warrior a try. The challenge is real, and the contestants face a constant struggle to remain in the game. Tune in next month and let us know what you think!

http://gameshows.about.com/b/2012/04/13/american-ninja-warrior-returns-next-month.htm
-----------------------------

Btw, I'm not a sports fan, but this competition is truly amazing. Some of those guys can practically fly!

The qualifying rounds at the beginning:

So...here are some youtube videos to show you what it's all about if you don't already know (American qualifying rounds in Venice Beach):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjokpgB0MPI

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI1Rg94-Zvc&feature=related

and of course, they don't all make it...in fact most of them fail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iel9xcFz_9I

Highlights and fails:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o_QvHeC5n0

And here is one of the ONLY three people to ever finish the final obstacle course in Japan:

The finale is in three legs.

Makoto Nagano achieves Total Victory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D4qBJTmuio&feature=related

I highly recommend this show!

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, May 07, 2012 - 1:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
We watch it every year, it's a lot of fun and those guys are really amazing athletes.

Spear

08-06-2001

Monday, May 07, 2012 - 3:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spear a private message Print Post    
This is one of my favorite shows. I even woke up at ungodly hours to watch the Japanese broadcast of the last few seasons streamed live over the Internet. I'm sad that the show was cancelled in Japan. I'm also mad that the last couple of seasons were butchered here in the US to make believe that the ten Americans were in a separate competition at Mt. Midoriyama, when they were actually part of the 100 contestants in the same Japanese show.

Apparently, Nagano was in Las Vegas for the finals, although I think he didn't compete.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Monday, May 07, 2012 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I love love LOVE this show! (and Ninja Warrior!) I watch both on G4 on the weekends when I happen to flip through. Even have repeats on to keep me company sometimes.

I was so excited to see the ad during Celebrity Apprentice last night that NBC will have it (and soon!)

About SFJF article above...I think it is way more athletic than American Gladiators and way better too. (and of course Wipeout is in a whole other category :-), I really like Wipeout.)

The one thing about Ninja Warrior (not ANW) is that it is really hard to watch the athletes and read the subtitles. I just love listening to the Japanese announcer though...he gets all excited.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
Well, I think I've figured out how the scheduling is set up for American Ninja Warrior.

According to my TIVO's scheduling info, Episodes 401 and 402 of ANW will air back to back on the G4 network on Sunday, May 20.

Then the following day, Monday, May 21, Episode 401 will re-air on NBC. I don't know if NBC will air every episode.

So...it appears that ANW will air on both G4 and NBC rather than splitting the episodes between the two networks.

Also, according to imdb.com, there will be 15 episodes instead of 8 or 9 episodes like season 2 and 3.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
UPDATE on schedule!!!

It appears that this season's episodes are being split between NBC and the G4 channel!

The first two episodes (named "Southwest Qualifying Round Part 1" and "Southwest Qualifying Round Part 2") will air today on the G4 channel.

Then tomorrow on Monday the 21st, NBC will air a one hour episode called "Finals Region 1".

-------
It looks like the episodes airing on G4 today are different episodes than the one airing on NBC tomorrow.

I set a season pass for American Ninja Warriors on BOTH channels - G4 and NBC....just in case. It's really confusing t me.

This may become difficult for those ANW fans who don't have a DVR.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Monday, May 21, 2012 - 10:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
So bummed we didn't know about this last month. The finals were April 21-22nd in Las Vegas. Looks like the Mt was built in the dirt lots in the SW side of town (about a mile from the end of the strip around Blue Diamond - from what we could tell from the promos). Can't believe we didn't see anything about it, else we would have been there for sure. We'll be watching for it next year.

Wowprincess

09-04-2006

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 5:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wowprincess a private message Print Post    
I just found this show on G4 this weekend. Had never heard of it before (other than to wonder what the heck NBC was airing on Monday nights).

I caught up on all the episodes and it's now on my DVR. It's amazing watching some of these guys!

I really wish a woman would be able to make it through, but I have to wonder if the upper body strength required just makes it too hard.

Sanfranjoshfan

09-17-2000

Sunday, January 12, 2014 - 1:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sanfranjoshfan a private message Print Post    
FYI

There is a special 2 hour American Ninja Warrior (America vs Japan) airing Monday, 8pm PST, January 13, 2014 on NBC....and my TIVO does NOT show any subsequent airings!

It usually airs on both NBC and G4 but apparently Comcast dropped G4 here in SF.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the HEAD UP!!! My son loves this show... we would have missed it if I didn't check here. TVCHers are always looking out for each other!!

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 12:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
We saw it live in Venice, CA last year. The stuntman whizzed thru the course several times as they were adjusting the set, but none of the first ten contestants.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Monday, January 13, 2014 - 9:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
this was an exciting show.
they are already taking audition tapes for 2014.
hope I'm in town when they do the finals so I can finally watch it live, in person. you have to order tickets early, they sell out (not to mention starting at 10p).

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
We just stood outside the fence.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
wowo, I generally don't like this kind of stuff, but it is almost like magic - I don't know how they do any of it, I could not do one single thing even when I was young and strong, but I love watching it.

Roteach

06-01-2003

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roteach a private message Print Post    
This show is one of my guilty pleasures.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 1:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I love this show... and I'm glad my son got me to watch it with him last summer. Now I'm hooked!!! Did you all catch the announcer mention that 1 of the American competitors could do 3 pull ups with his pinkies!!!

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
I sometimes workout at a place called Camp Rhino. It's one of those Obstacle Training Bootcamp/Crossfit places. Lots of members are Spartan racers. And they have many of the ANW obstacles now (cliffhanger, warped wall, spider wall, rope swing to cargo net, salmon ladder, hanging pipes and ropes).

So far all I can do is the spider wall (our is wood, not plexiglass). Grabbed the rope swing from the top but chickened out of letting go with one hand to catch the cargo net (next time). Cannot do cliffhanger for the life of me (just don't have the finger strength).

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Anyone watching this season??

Unfortunate about Brent Steffensen... but very excited to see his girlfriend Kacy Catanzaro make it up the Warp Wall.

I love watching this show with my son. I just wish there was an obstacle course gym in my city... my son would love to try some of the obstacles.

Jewels

09-22-2000

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
Did Kacy make it up? I went to bed before she was on. What happened to Brent. I saw another highly promoted girl get hurt on Monday night...this show is brutal!

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Kacy made it up the wall on her 2nd attempt.

Brent ran the course right after her and fell midway through the ring ladder/toss... or whatever they called it. He never looked comfortable on it... After his run he was in 30th place with 1 competitor left. (Only the top 30 competitors move on.) So if that guy did worse than Brent then Brent would move on to the Dallas city finals... but the guy flew through the course posting the fastest time of the night, knocking Brent OUT of the competition. It was bitter-sweet because the guy who knocked him out is trained by Brent...

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
The ANW Finals tape in Vegas next weekend. I got tickets (8p and 1a are the times) but now my surgery is postponed I won't be healed enough to attend. Oh well.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I would LOVE to take my son to that some year... how do you go about getting tickets? How far in advance did you get your tickets?

When did they tape what we're watching on TV now? I'm assuming it can't be too early in the year because of the weather... although they often mention how cold it is.

Spear

08-05-2001

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 3:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Spear a private message Print Post    
If you're curious, there's discussion on the regionals (and later, the finals) here, where hardcore fans (and some contestants) hang out:
http://sasukemaniac.proboards.com/board/34/american-ninja-warrior-6

I avoid spoilers, so I didn't read those threads myself.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
one of my co-workers was a contestant in Dallas. unfortunately his run didn't get aired, but he was in the top 30 until the last guy. we are so proud of his first try!!!
his trainer is Sam Sann. There were 22 contestants from his gym.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - 5:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Here's a story that aired just recently about Sam's gym with a shout out at the end to my coworker.
http://www.click2houston.com/news/american-ninja-warrior-training-in-houston/26321186