TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Spring Baking Championship - Sunday 9...

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Cooking Shows: Spring Baking Championship - Sunday 9pm - FoodTV users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 20, 2015Dipo25 05-20-15  2:54 pm
Archive through March 09, 2017Cass_cat25 03-09-17  12:09 pm
Archive through April 04, 2017Karuuna25 04-04-17  9:23 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I think Jesse did a really good job... I really enjoyed him. I'm curious to see if Bobby comes back for the Holiday Baking Championship.

I'm "OK" with Jordan winning... I'm just glad Daniella (think that's her name) didn't... her design skills were not good. Adam had the best looking desserts, but because of the time constraints of the challenges he always seemed to have at least 1 problem with everything. I assume he doesn't have those same issues in his bakery.

Was I the only one... or did everyone else know what a drip cake was?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
When they said Drip Cake, I knew what they meant but didn't know it is a trend. I am out of the loop it seems.

I don't like fondant so not impressed a fondant cake won. I thought it was too literal and hate bananas. I thought they would really ding Daniella for using those rather old fashioned swirls. Too bad Adam had a couple less than successful bakes the last couple of episodes. I suspect he is probably the best baker of the lot.

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 4:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
Sugar... same here... Jordan's cake was too literal, too easy... and I too hate bananas. I thought FOR SURE when he added the banana flavoring/extract that he'd be excoriated by the judges... but no.

I think hands down Adam is/was the best baker this season. His designs were the best and I thought most innovative. I know flavor is key... and Daniella seemed to have good flavors, but her designs were dreadful... Duff was constantly telling her what she should have done. I think Jordan is a good baker, I just thought Adam had better ideas.

I don't imagine fondant tastes too good... although he really took care in finishing it. I was bugged at Daniella's flag cake... the color order was wrong!!! And I think that was one of the first thing the judges said to her...

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 7:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I thought the same thing about Daniela's colors...and I still think Adam should have won but I feel they held him to a higher standard because he was so good...if he had been able to take a little more care in his decorating (holes in the ribbons, cardboard showing, etc.) I think he would have won.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 7:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Well, his cake was dry too.

It seemed that Adam made a couple of mistakes, while the only thing they criticized Jordan for was undercooked bananas... so not surprising they decided the way they did.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Yep, there was that cake dry thing too.

I just feel like they should take the entire competition into consideration at the finale instead of basing the win on just one cake (and perhaps they did). I think Adam clearly was superior over the entire season.

I also think they get stars in their eyes when they see someone who has an impressive resume in regards to going to culinary school and studying in France (and I can't blame them).

Jordan has a great career ahead of him - he is obviously talented, cute and has a good back story. I have no doubt he will show up on another cooking show in the near future.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I agree, Roxip. There should be a way to take both into account, the finale bake and the whole season.

Rickmichigan

04-11-2017

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rickmichigan a private message Print Post    
Is it my imagination or have you noticed that it doesn't appear that no matter what the contestants have to bake it actually IS NOT a surprise to the contestants (including the twist). Even though they are asked to appear surprised. Otherwise, why would they have on hand baking ingredients required for what they are baking that are unusual and not something that would normally be found even in a well-stocked pantry? Even the jokes they make are part of the contrived format of Food Network shows (lines provided for them to say). While I do watch the show and root for certain contestants I really like the honestness of the "Great British Baking Show". On this show, they don't have to have people that fit the format of the show (weird, loud personalities, goofy) - just good bakers. I'm not saying that the bakers on the Spring Baking Show are not good bakers - they certainly are. But having "normal" people on and not having to tell a joke two/three times per episode and not having to act surprised by what they are going to bake or what the twist is would be fine by me. Maybe I'm just too serious.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 1:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I read a long time ago that on Iron Chef America the chefs were provided a rather broad list of items that could be part of the required menu - perhaps this is similar?

Cass_cat

05-09-2011

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cass_cat a private message Print Post    
I wondered about the same thing about the ingredients... Adam had a few in the last couple episodes that had me wondering how could he possibly count on them being there. I think the twist is still a surprise... some have had to really make changes when the twist was revealed.

The thing I like about the Great British Baking Show (GBBS) is that they go home during the week... they know what to prepare for in the 1st challenge... they get to practice it. They know what the theme of the week is... I really like that... and aren't all the GBBS contestants home bakers? None are bakery owners or professional bakers by trade... right.

On thing I was surprised at was the fact the final challenge was not a wedding cake...

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
ON the English show they indicated that sometimes they had an idea of what the next dish would be and they could practice it at home that week.

So they probably get hints for some of the stuff.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 5:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't know how much prep they are given. It seems there are several times when they are struggling to come up with an idea.

Jasper

09-14-2000

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jasper a private message Print Post    
Disappointing end. I feel like any home baker could have put Jordan's cake together with the use of those cutters. Adams had much more skill involved despite the errors.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: