TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
The Great British Bake Off Series Five

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Cooking Shows: The Great British Bake Off Series Five users admin

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through March 01, 2015Karuuna25 03-01-15  6:21 pm
Archive through September 05, 2015Kitt25 09-05-15  9:55 pm
Archive through September 20, 2015Teachmichigan25 09-20-15  12:48 pm
Archive through August 15, 2016Sugar25 08-15-16  9:51 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 4:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Series 6 started today in the UK. Probably be the new year before it comes on PBS, if at all, but hopefully it'll be available at unofficial sources tonight.

Also The Chronicles of Nadiya, a two part show where she (last year's winner) looks at the cooking styles that have inspired her, started tonight and concludes next week.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Arrrrrrg! The production company who owns the show tried to sell it to the highest bidder as their contract with BBC expires with this year.

Ch4 made a bid much higher than the BBC could afford (£25M compared to £15M the BBC pays) and got the show... so next year it will have adverts - annoying but not too big a deal but...

Mel and Sue will not go to Ch4!

Mary is unlikely to be able to go to Ch4!

Who knows about Paul.

So it might be the same show but it'll have lost all its best bits

Tishala

08-01-2000

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
No no no no no

Even in episode 2 this season when Sue was elsewhere, the entire balance of the show was off. I can't imagine it without both Sue AND Mel, to say nothing of Ms Berry. Paul, I'm sure, will stay because I have the sense that he loves money enough to follow it.

Anyhow, this season is great as usual, although I was sad about the last guy dumped. I haven't decided to love or hate any bakers this season yet, but I suspect Andrew, Tom, and Candice will go far.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Forgot to say: the Chronicles of Nadiya was really good. Too bad it was just two episodes because it was thoroughly entertaining and pretty heartwarming.

Now I want a two-part documentary series on the adorable Tamal.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 2:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I don't know how they could do it without Mary Berry, but that's a lot of pressure on her, as I think it will be basically make or break for the show. I know some personalities are under a kind of umbrella contract for the BBC, where they are not "encouraged" to work for other channels, and I checked and Mary has had a few shows in recent years and they have all been BBC. I don't know if she'll want to break that "understanding" she has with the beeb especially now Mel and Sue have made their announcement.

I agree that Paul will follow the money unless it all sounds like it will be a flop.

I like that they are back to basics this season. The batter one tomorrow will be good I'm sure. I made some of the Viennese whirls and they were really easy (without time pressure) and just melted in the mouth. Before they landed on my thighs.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
As predicted, Paul is going to Ch4 with the new show, but Mary won't be.

Ch4 are trying to act cool about all the uproar, and have said they might do a couple of seasons of celebrity shows before the start back with normal folk.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 4:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
because celebrity shows are about baking. I really hate celebrity cooking shows most of them can't cook, those that do are weighed down by the others. Unless they are talking about celebrity chefs, and that is not so much fun.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
They used so many of Mary's recipes from her cookbook, while she is pretty much unknown here - in the UK she is very well known and liked!

I have watched the Australian Version without Paul, Mary and without Sue and Mel, you're right, the balance was indeed off...

and don't get me started on when they tried it in the US, it was awful!

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
You know who'd be a good replacement for Ms Berry? Our very own doyenne of domesticity, Martha Stewart! I don't know whether she'd be too American for the show, though, or whether she's particularly well-known in the UK.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
This week's episode was one of the best ever IMO. The drama during the danish-making section was great, filled with exceptionally strong editing and hilarious bakers' reactions, but my favorite was the Bakewell Tarte technical and all the humor between the younger and older contestants. Why would have imagined that Val's would have been the worst? She was such a funny, charming woman and it's sad to see her go.

I'm going to have to catch this week's An Extra Slice so I can get more Val

Reader234

08-13-2000

Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 3:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
Soggy bottom! Mary Berry made that line famous, "we mustn't see soggy bottoms"

And now I'm paying attention it's Mel's voice that tells us what's happening, what they're making, etc...

Rats to whoever jumped off BBC

Ladyb

12-29-2007

Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 8:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ladyb a private message Print Post    
Just watched Paul & Mary's Masterclass on my local PBS station. They were baking and explaining their recipes assigned during the episodes--Black Forest Cake, Biscotti, Walnut cake and 2 others. Made me want to try their techniques even more!

Kappy

06-28-2002

Monday, October 03, 2016 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Okay ~ I was wondering what the heck was going on as I missed the beginning and didn't know it was a master class but you're right, it was nice for one show to see them go through the process of making the recipes even if they both looked bored as the other worked. I have to say though, once was enough! I missed the two comedians and their interactions with the bakers.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 11:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Heh. Jezebel has an article today, "Would You Have Sex With Great British Bake Off Traitor Paul Hollywood." It's a very American, and pretty young-skewing site so I was surprised he was even on their radar. Jezebel

Anyhow, the article is funny. I came across it because I wanted to know what Ruby from Season 4 has been up to. The British public had persecuted her beyond reason by the end. Long story short:she came out as gay last year and said in her announcement that she'd never have let Mr Hollywood "bang" her. So there is that.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Not Benjamina! JUst caught last week's episode. I'm amazed that Salasi survives but Benjamina is gone. Oh well.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, October 17, 2016 - 11:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
She's floundered a bit these last couple of weeks, whereas Selasi has bouts of brilliance in his usual easy going world.

I want Andrew to win.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
So sad to see the adorable Selasi go. Happy for the adorable Andrew for winning star baker. I just hope Candace doesn't win. I had her picked her (and Andrew) as someone who'd go far at the beginning but I've never liked her.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Selasi really was lovely, such a nice guy. He did deserve to go though, definitely the weakest this week. I hope Andrew wins, I agree about Candace, she just isn't very likeable somehow, she never seems to relax or show much emotion.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 9:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Kitt did you see An Extra Slice this week? Nadiya was on and was just lovely as always, but I felt so bad for her. First, of all the audience bakes they could have picked, they tried one that had 2 of its 3 components containing bacon, so she could only have a cream puff. Then Salasi's redemption bake contained alcohol so she couldn't have that, either. She was gracious, of course, and Muslims are probably accustomed to that (like Orthodox Jews), but still

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 12:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes I noticed! The redemption bake was one thing but they could have made a better selection for the audience bake.

She would make a great choice as a presenter on whatever cooking show the BBC do next.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 3:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Well, we have a winner. Meh.

I haven't seen it yet, but still...

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 11:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think said person did deserve it though, and had a nice moment at the end that warmed me to them just a little bit.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, December 02, 2016 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
There will be two shows at Christmas featuring former contestants, one on the 25th, one on the 26th. If anyone's watching on PBS they might not want to look because it will give away contestants you might not have seen (if you care)

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/great-british-bake-off/news/a815823/the-great-christmas-bake-off-which-bakers-coming-back/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: