TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Shark Tank

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: The Work World: Shark Tank users admin

Willwillbee

09-19-2001

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
I love this show & am surprised there never seems to be discussion about it.

I guess this show is really just infomercials but has exposed great new products & launched lots of businesses.

Better Life nonchemical cleaning supplies sounded like an amazing product. Something I would want to buy. I think they all got a great deal. I've never seen this type of arrangement on this show. They wanted 500k for 10% & Laurie offered 400k for 17% of the company that drops to 7% after the 400k is paid back.

It makes sense that they want a large enough piece of a company to make it worth their while & usually want 20-30% if they have to do a lot of work to get this product on the market nationally.

Something like the cleaning products was already in some stores (like Whole Foods) & had lots of sales, they needed the distribution contacts more than the money.

I thought the red cup with built in shooters was a great idea at first, although I thought it really had limited appeal. If I'm not taking shots (which I never have before) I wouldn't really want to shrink my drink capacity by nearly a third but for those that do or want ketchup serving containers without buying a separate product or shooter containers. Ooops now I've talked myself out of this idea already, I guess you could use the same cup for the shot, you wouldn't need a special cup & wouldn't waste the residual alcohol. (I don't know that much about drinking either). I did think his marketing strategy was brilliant though & as Mark perked up, he may be creating a network of commission only salespeople that may be invaluable.

I liked the Tree Teepee idea & was surprised there wasn't already something like this already on the market. I think a soaker hose would accomplish the same thing but may be impractical in a grove setting. I would assume that it would greatly reduce moisture loss to the air creating an almost terrarium effect but I might be concerned about mold & bacteria overgrowth effecting the trees but if they've been doing this for 20-30 years, I guess that hasn't been a concern. If it does create 30% growth to trees & give it frost protection, that would be well worth the product alone, I would think. I'm assuming that they are only good for 5 years (when they last 20 years) is because the tree's trunk outgrows the product in that time(?)

He said he sold 127,500 in just his local area, sure sounds like it could be a moneymaker. I was glad he got a shark to partner with him. If they last 5-20 years he may put himself out of business after the market is saturated. Maybe his next product would be a removable product for mature trees.

I was surprised no one was interested in the electric Body board but Robert Herjavec wasn't on the panel, he loves that stuff & has other type items like it that would already have a distribution network set up. But he shot himself in the foot saying he had 10 years invested with no product & no sales. Hopefully someone will see him & license it directly.

The "loan sharks" last week sounded like kind of scary business to be associated with (& the other sharks wouldn't even consider getting involved) but I would assume Kevin would keep the return high without being excessive. He asked for & got 50% of the business just to become involved. As Kevin said in true loan shark manner, it's a great idea & you're just lucky I'm allowing you to keep 50%. They had a pretty good set up of accepting a daily portion of credit card receipts (in lieu of set monthly payments) while processing the businesses credit card receipts. I'm not sure how all that works but I think credit cards are a 2-3% processing fee.

Even if a business doesn't get a shark to invest, the exposure has to be priceless.

Jewels

09-22-2000

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
I love this show, but missed it last night. I have read in the past that many are now just trying to get on the show for advertisement, they aren't so concerned about the deal, just the exposure it brings.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 5:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
one of my favs! but i do feel like its an infomercial for most of the products.

Smokey

07-07-2003

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 6:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Smokey a private message Print Post    
I've been watching since it first came on the air and love it. It's a show I don't miss. I watch it on Hulu+ if I miss it the night before. I missed Robert in this last episode.

I thought there was a thread for this last season, but not positive.

Lilfair

07-09-2003

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lilfair a private message Print Post    
Yes, they basically are infomercials but I like to watch and hear the banter and negotiations. I like the sharks for the mist part. And I like to see the products and ideas. If I'm not home when it's on I watch it via dvr. This is one of the few shows that actually becomes water cooler talk at my office.

Bonzacat

07-08-2003

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bonzacat a private message Print Post    
I Love Shark Tank!

Will, I was just in a west coast Whole Foods and looked for Better Life. Did not see it. But I expect to see it soon either there, Bed Bath & Beyond or on QVC. :-)

Oh, and long-time watchers… if you remember the Spatty
Daddy, which did not get picked up by a Shark -- I ordered a set on a dare from a friend and love them. LOL

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
Love, Love this show. The woman they featured last night that was on the show last year with "Teddy Needs A Bath"....I bought 2 from Amazon for myself n my niece. Use it all the time.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 7:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
When they did an update on "scrub daddy" it reminded us that we looked it up online when it was first shown/deal made....then hubby went to Bed Bath Beyond and got us 2 that next weekend.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
You can usually tell when the people are just trying for advertising. I think the sharks get annoyed with that. I like that they now have Laurie and Barbara together on some shows. I like both of them.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 8:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I loved the spatty daddy girl!

Bonzacat

07-08-2003

Saturday, November 02, 2013 - 9:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bonzacat a private message Print Post    
Jag - I must have missed the show when Teddy was pitched, but last night thought it looked so cute.

Kona - how is the Scrub Daddy? Very cool idea, how it works.

Kooklie - I like both the ladies too.

Pamy - she's adorable.

Iluvreality

05-08-2011

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iluvreality a private message Print Post    
Love Shark Tank. Some of the ideas that they brung are just not anything I would be interested in. The 180 cup to me was a stupid idea, but i don't drink alcohol, so maybe I just don't get it. So many things about this cup that seems stupid, but it really diesn't deserve the spacw here...lol
The Tree Tee Pee was a smart idea and I loved how much the farmer wanted to stick to his low price. Good for him.
Never miss this show.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I love it too. ABC must love it also. Popular show with low production cost.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
My DVR picks up old reruns of Shark Tank during the week. There was one on this past week.
It seems Kevin "Mr. Wonderful" has this thing about royalties and only loaning people the money. After he makes his money back the royalty % drops. He's bald now but if you Google Kevin O'Leary and look at his wedding picture from the NY Times he has shoulder length hair. It's a good laugh!

Iluvreality

05-08-2011

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Iluvreality a private message Print Post    
Mr Wonderful is rarely wonderful or even a partner for many. I think Lori is the best fit for most that come on the show because of QVC.

Gumby

08-14-2004

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gumby a private message Print Post    
Jag, I don't think that picture is the right Kevin O'Leary. The one on Shark Tank is in his late 50's and the groom in that pic is only 34.

Idolworship

05-07-2003

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Idolworship a private message Print Post    
The Scrub Daddy is great, while it lasts. The ones which I have in the bathroom basins last forever. The kitchen one is a limp version of how it started...and sinking, fast. It gets much rougher use, of course.

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Sunday, November 03, 2013 - 6:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Scrub Daddy's aren't made to last forever, and pretty inexpensive. Has worked great in our bathtub & sinks. Haven't used it in the kitchen yet.
Hate "royalties"; that's not an investor, that's a loan with interest.

Willwillbee

09-19-2001

Monday, November 04, 2013 - 12:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Willwillbee a private message Print Post    
I was reading reviews on the Scrub Daddy & people were saying they only lasted a couple of weeks before going limp??

I swear by Dobie Pads. I was hanging out a lot & washing dishes at my stepsis & said, "How do you live without a Dobie Pad?" & I bought her some. Years later she said, I can't thank you enough for introducing me to Dobie Pads. I found it hilarious that she would even remember how she came across them, no less thank me.

So how does Scrub Daddy compare to Dobie Pad? I love the smiley mouth for spoons & holes for other items ideas.

One thing one reviewer mentioned was the Scrub Daddy didn't need cleaning after getting off the gunk - which is my biggest complaint about Dobie - but I use an old one on gunky stuff & then finish up with a clean one.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, November 04, 2013 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Frankly, I was unimpressed with my Scrub Daddy, it's uncomfortable to use and doesn't clean all that well.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Monday, November 04, 2013 - 4:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
Gumby....someone told me about the picture and I just figured it was Kevin O'Leary. Guess I should have read the article.

Foliage

10-15-2002

Wednesday, November 06, 2013 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Foliage a private message Print Post    
I bought Better Life Simply Floored a year ago on Amazon. Nice product, gentle on my cork floors.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_hpc?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Better+Life&node=3760901

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Remember the Copa di vino guy who was on Shark Tank twice with his wine by the glass idea? Well, apparently, one of his investors is a crook. The SEC has frozen the assets (vineyard) of the Copa di Vino guy as ill gotten gains. It is kind of an interesting story.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2014/03/sec_seeks_to_freeze_and_attach.html#incart_river#incart_m-rpt-2

Vsmart

02-10-2003

Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 9:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Vsmart a private message Print Post    
For the person who doesn't want to drink alone, non alcoholic wine for the cat/dog. Sad.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: