TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 31, 2013

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Ancestry: Who Do You Think You Are...: Archive through July 31, 2013 users admin

Wilsonatmd

01-23-2001

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 3:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wilsonatmd a private message Print Post    
TLC has picked the show up for 8 eps starting July 23rd...

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/tlc-bringing-nbcs-who-do-you-think-you-are-back-grave-exclusive-92851

Kitt

09-06-2000

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 4:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Well I never! Great news!

Rieann

08-26-2006

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rieann a private message Print Post    
Yay!

Whoami

08-02-2001

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 5:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Awesome!!

Mak1

08-11-2002

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Great news!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
:-)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
That is wonderful news and TLC could use a few more "good" shows rather than some of the junk they have been airing. Yay!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, July 22, 2013 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
This show is back!!! Starts tomorrow night on TLC. Looks like they will be half hour shows concentrating on one celebrity. I'll take it in any form. Love this show.

Scoutmom

01-19-2006

Monday, July 22, 2013 - 1:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scoutmom a private message Print Post    
Our TV listing shows one hour and Kelly Clarkson is the first celebrity. Previews look much like the original. Love it!!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, July 22, 2013 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Mine only shows 30 minutes. I'm going to watch the DVR closely!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, July 22, 2013 - 2:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The original press release said each episode would be an hour long. (My guide says an hour too.)

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
My Comcast DVR is still showing that the show is 30 minutes, followed by "19 and counting" or something like that (the duggars) and then Big World Little People. I've set it to record an extra 30 minutes.

Tuesdays are so packed my DVR can hardly keep up.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 6:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Whew, I'm glad I checked in here before it started. I had set it to record the ep of 19 & Counting that follows because my listings say it's only 30 minutes as well.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 11:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
So glad this show is back, I do enjoy it. It's like a mini history lesson each week. Can't wait to see the other celebs.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Can hardly wait for the new episodes. The Christina Applegate episodes looks very dramatic.

Angelicfairies2

07-18-2004

Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 6:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Angelicfairies2 a private message Print Post    
Love this show so much, happy it's back.

But do they pre-pick the people and pre do the research on their families? because they all have such fascinating stories.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I'm sure they do a lot of pre-research to find an interesting branch of their tree. If you think about how many great-great-great-great grandparents each of us have, one of them is bound to have an interesting story of some sort.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 8:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I remember hearing a celebrity say he really wanted to do the show, but they investigated his past and there just wasn't anything in there that was interesting enough to fill an hour's show, so they passed on him. That was in England, it's probably easier to get a good story in the US because at some point their ancestors made the trip to the US and there was probably a good story about that.

But yes, the stories are almost completely investigated by researchers, and although the story is new to the celebrity as they're presented with it, the people behind the scenes know everything except the stuff that comes from long lost family members.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I wonder how many celebrities they fail to find an interesting story. It didn't take me very long or many generations back to start to find interesting things -- embarrassing things, but interesting. LOL. Yes, being an American, a nation of immigrants, we are bound to have some interesting stories back a few generations, esp those that came over and were here during the civil war.

REally, this show is the best 60 minute infomercial there is. I always feel like re-subscribing to Ancestry.com as I watch. But right now I just don't have the time.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
They were really pushing not just ancestry.com, but how to use it! Very savvy marketing, because it's the "how do I do it" thing that puts some people off.

My brother is a genealogist and has done our family tree back about five generations... almost every single male ancestor on both sides was a gardener, agricultural labourer or carpenter, and my mother's side of the family lived no more than about 20 miles from where my parents live now, and my father's side it's our town or the next town, about four miles away. I think that's not that unusual in England because regular people really didn't travel about much at all.

Off topic really, but when my uncle recently died my mum looked through some paperwork of his. This uncle was my grandparents' first child, and he was born with a very bad cleft lip and palette. How it happened I don't know, presumably through local nurses or a local church, but he was taken to a big hospital in London just after birth, and not returned for about three months, during which time of course they fixed the clefts and tried to bring him back up to strength. For those three months my grandparents received one telegram from the nuns a month, the first of which was something like a nicely phrased version of "we hope he survives." Can you imagine not seeing your newborn and not having any real information on him for that long? But of course there was no way my grandparents had the money to travel into London let alone to stay there. Must have been so harrowing.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
YEs, they really showed the website in action and it looks like it's had some upgrades since I was on there.

Interesting about your Uncle and so brave of your grandparents and so wonderful that his condition was treated.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, July 25, 2013 - 3:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, amazing really, that in days like that (early wartime) someone who probably had no prior knowledge of my grandparents cared enough to make such an effort to try to save their child's life. Not being able to swallow, he'd have had no hope at the local hospital back then.

Angelicfairies2

07-18-2004

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 9:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Angelicfairies2 a private message Print Post    
Really enjoyed the Christina Applegate story & I can admit I teared up.

Angelicfairies2

07-18-2004

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Angelicfairies2 a private message Print Post    
PS: Let's admit the "Mom, I found you" was beyond touching

Bombaycat

07-21-2007

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 - 9:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bombaycat a private message Print Post    
Christina's episode was a tear jerker. There was no royalty, no famous political figures or high ranking military. It was probably a reflection of the way life was back then. Kudos to her for sharing the good, bad and ugly.