TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 06, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Talent/Variety Shows: America's Got Talent: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 06, 2012 users admin

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 2:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
that is your opinion. My opinion is that it is.

You also have stated you haven't watched all shows in their entirety, so it's tough to make a statement the show is now simply about mocking and belittling people. If that is all you are seeing we are not watching the same show.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
We are watching the same show. I am, however, entitled to my opinion.

I find the humor to be mocking and belittling, and I have provided several examples. No one has said that is ALL that is there, just that it seems there is more of this than in previous years.

The fact that we have different sensibilities about certain kinds of humor does not mean that we are not watching the same show, or that my opinion is not valid, because I haven't watched every moment. Since I have provided several specific examples of what I find inappropriate and belittling, that's enough for me to say it's clearly there, even if I haven't watched every single show in entirety.

If you like Howard Stern, and you like his brand of humor, that's just fine with me. It doesn't make my opinion, which is different from yours, invalid. It's just different. :-)

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
They seem very animated with their "get offs" and boos. Or maybe it's the contrast to the BGT audience. If that's the way the show is going I might not be watching many more.

The article I linked to previously made the same assertion, that the producers are encouraging the audience to be more "coliseum-like."

There was however an accuracy in that article about the 7 year old boy. FWIW, I do agree that the audience is being more aggressive.

Whoami

08-02-2001

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Kitt, it's not just you. And I have it straight from the horse's mouth from an act that was there in NYC.

Re-posting part of my post that is now archived, quoting a group who tried out in Charlotte, and was then advanced to NYC to audition in front of the judges:

"Well they didn't give us a chance at all. It felt like the Jerry Springer show really. We were set up to be the bad act they love to humiliate for ratings. The producers of the show actually prepped the audience on how to “boo” just prior to the Edge taking the stage. In addition, the “boos” were piped through the sound systems facing the audience to initiate them to slam the group."

And this was a legitimate act, trying to make an honest attempt at what they were doing. None of the "getting kicked in the nuts" stuff that is only there to get wanna be star's mugs on the TV.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I don't like that at all, they should be given a fair chance. I'm not even keen on the boos when they've been shown to be bad! Maybe I should wait until the semi-final round if the show's taken that turn.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 4:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
The show doesn't seem any different except for now they've miked up some people in the audience. Otherwise, it's the same as it always has been, there are good acts and bad acts. Howard is known for the humor he brings to the table. Some like it, others don't, but the show is still good and we are seeing talent.

The kid was never told he was going to Vegas. The comment about the parents dying from embarrassment was over the top to me but not a reason to quit watching the show. I like that someone is telling these delusional people the truth. It's why I love Simon Cowell. Howard seems to be a big softy on the inside, going up and hugging several people now because he felt bad for them. I had always viewed him as a hardass but he's changed my mind.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I didn't like Simon Cowell either, so I didn't watch much AI.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 4:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
FWIW, the 7 year old WAS told he was going to Vegas in some kind of mixup off stage. It doesn't appear to be Howard's fault, but the confusion about how they voted, and some miscommunication that they had voted to send him.

http://www.agtnews.com/oops-young-rapper-accidentally-told-he-made-it-to-vegas

Jjsdjsmom

06-25-2009

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 11:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jjsdjsmom a private message Print Post    
I don't post much but I had to respond as I was at the NYC taping with that drum corps. This is how it all went down:

After the audience was seated, the production people gave us instructions on the taping. This included how to let our feelings about the acts be known: crossing your arms and saying BOOOOO if you didn't like the act (practiced that a few times) and cheering loudly and even standing up if you enjoyed an act (practiced that a few times).

(This is no different from other TV tapings I’ve been to, including “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire” where they tell you how high to hold the “poll the audience” remote so the audience at home can see them, “The Martha Stewart Show” where they coach the audience when to clap, laugh, say “awwww” and more, and “Regis and Kelly” [yes, saw it taped with Regis] where there is the director’s assistant standing at the side of the stage motioning us when to clap “enthusiastically” vs clapping “politely” and when to stop clapping completely.)

Back to what happened at AGT: There was a good 10-15 minute lull between our booing and cheering lesson and the introduction of Nick and then the judges, each of whom came down the stage right aisle to tons of cheering, which became thunderous when Howard Stern was announced.

So, only after all this did the acts begin, so there was a good amount of time between our instructions on how to Boo or Cheer and the performances. If I remember correctly, the drums corps was the first to go on. My kids and those of the friend I was with were members of an award winning, nationally ranked marching band during high school so we were very much looking forward to the drum corps' performance.

Unfortunately and surprisingly, we were really disappointed because, quite frankly, they were awful. The result: lots of boo-ing and “X” crossed arms.

This was, I swear, my spontaneous gut response to these performers, who simply didn’t perform well. Fellow audience members apparently felt the same way.

There was no set up for ridicule at all prior to not only their performance, but any performance. We had no back story information. We had no coaching on booing or cheering once the show began. And so, your friends weren’t set up to fall at all. There was simply no set up for any of the acts, either positive or negative.

Whoami, I'm sorry but I think your friends might just have a bitter taste in their mouth from their disappointing experience on the show, but as an eyewitness and audience participant, I assure you we really were hoping to like them, but they appeared unrehearsed and sounded awful. Sorry :-(

Whoami

08-02-2001

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 11:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Jjsdjsmom, thank you for your honest evaluation. I really appreciate it. Although I've been very vocal about the way the audience is apparently being encouraged to be a lot more mean this year (as is evidenced by Karuuna's link too), I have also held it in the back of my mind that maybe they weren't really all that good.

It's hard to get senior corps aged members together for rehearsal, even if they live in the same area. People that age have jobs, and real lives to attend to, so can't live drum corps 24/7 like when we were all young. So it's not surprising they were under-rehearsed. Our own local senior corps (or "all-aged corps, as the term seems to be now) is...well...not exactly stellar either.

I still don't like the idea of any act being booed. It's just sad and disrespectful to me. I would never think to boo anyone trying to put on a performance for me. I might sit uncomfortably on still hands, but I'd never boo.

Would you mind if I shared your evaluation on their FB page, assuming they'd even want to hear it? I can't direct them here to read, since you have to be a registered member to get into the forums. But if it makes you uncomfortable, I won't do it. I don't need to mention you by name either, unless of course you want to be quoted.

I want to shae with everyone what I was hoping the Edge's act would be like, but this post is getting too long already, and I don't want to bore anyone. So I'll post more later.

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Friday, May 25, 2012 - 4:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
I didn't like Simon Cowell either, so I didn't watch much AI.

LOL he was the ONLY judge I liked. I agreed with him 95% of the time. I quit watching when he left and I never watched X-Factor because he brought Paula on and I can't stand her.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, May 25, 2012 - 6:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Just a general note that you only need to register in order to post in this area. Many of the forums here (including this one) can now be viewed without registering. :-)

Whoami

08-02-2001

Friday, May 25, 2012 - 7:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Oh, ok. I thought that was changed to not being able to view too, back when we had all that trouble with that ambulance-chaser type law firm.

Jjsdjsmom

06-25-2009

Friday, May 25, 2012 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jjsdjsmom a private message Print Post    
Whoami, you can have any one in the corps talk to me via private message and/or send me an email address and I'd be happy to respond.
And, fwiw, it did feel crappy to "boo" anyone who came onto the stage so earnestly, but that is the nature of the beast. :/

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, May 25, 2012 - 8:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
JJsdjsmom - thank you for your on-site perspective, it is helpful.

One thing I'd like to note however. You wrote:

(This is no different from other TV tapings I’ve been to, including “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire” where they tell you how high to hold the “poll the audience” remote so the audience at home can see them, “The Martha Stewart Show” where they coach the audience when to clap, laugh, say “awwww” and more, and “Regis and Kelly” [yes, saw it taped with Regis] where there is the director’s assistant standing at the side of the stage motioning us when to clap “enthusiastically” vs clapping “politely” and when to stop clapping completely.)

In not ONE of these other shows you mention, is anyone coached to BOO loudly at the performers. To me, that's the difference.

There has always been some of this at AGT, but less booing and more crossed arms (to indicate a desire for the judges to hit the X button). It just seems more vicious this year.

And by putting thru acts like a guy getting hit in the balls, Howard is breaking his own promise to only put through *real* talent.

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Friday, May 25, 2012 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    

And by putting thru acts like a guy getting hit in the balls, Howard is breaking his own promise to only put through *real* talent.

All 3 judges voted yes. They said they found it entertaining. This one I am in agreement with you Karuuna 100%! I do not find that stuff entertaining at all.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, May 25, 2012 - 9:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yes, but the other two judges never made any similar promises about "talent", they were just doing what they always do. Howard promised that he would stop that practice, right?

It is nice that we agree on something. I still can't believe he dedicated that act to his two young daughters! :-)

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Friday, May 25, 2012 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Karuuna said balls!!!!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, May 25, 2012 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I was apparently referring to the basketball act... LOL

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 6:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
Great show last night! I was glad we didn't have to suffer through many bad acts

Ketchuplover

08-30-2000

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ketchuplover a private message Print Post    
Apparently last night's cloggers made top 3 in season one.

Wowprincess

09-04-2006

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wowprincess a private message Print Post    
Are these the same guys though? I had to dig to find that the cloggers from 2006 were named All That. Is it not possible these are different cloggers? I haven't found anything to indicate one way or the other.

I would think that Sharon would have said something (she being the only original judge), but I also wouldn't think they would allow a Finalist to have another go at it.

Happymom

01-20-2003

Friday, June 01, 2012 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Happymom a private message Print Post    
I don't watch the show, but I have seen a little here and there of this season. I feel so happy that I got to see that little 6 year old Issac Brian Brown? or whatever his name is. The boy who sang ABC (Jackson 5). The boy who Howie asked if he ever considered being president.

I love that little guy! His singing was cute, but his talking before he sang blew me away! Sharon was right, he has star quality.

Knightpatti

12-05-2001

Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Knightpatti a private message Print Post    
All That performs at The Carolina Opry here in Myrtle Beach. They are the Best part of the show!

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 12:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Oh wow, what bad timing for the mind reading guy who identified the pictures all the judges drew. I just watched the premiere of a new show tonight called
"Breaking the Magician's Code" on BIO channel, and they showed how he knew what the pictures they drew were.