TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 24, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Talent/Variety Shows: America's Got Talent: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 24, 2012 users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Frogi, no, it was an impersonator. Did a bunch of stars as if they would go on Dancing for the Stars. Not sure what night it was on; could have been Monday?

Afterwards, both Sharon and Howie told Howard he was wrong - the impersonator didn't need to be 'edgier' or 'meaner.'

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
OK I finally found it!

who said his fans love it when he says mean things about his parents

His "impersonations" of his parents are hilarious. Mostly he speaks of his childhood and how his Dad would call him a moron, etc. (just like his Dad did on stage) He is impersonating them, not trashing him. His parents have fun with it and come on the show occasionally.

I can definitely see how not knowing his bits from his radio show, how what he said would sound bad.

Mamabatsy

08-05-2005

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamabatsy a private message Print Post    
The producers have always been in complete control of this show. Howard was selected to be himself. The audience is being encouraged to play into his persona.

A few seasons ago Sharon suggested to a singer that he should have stuck with [a particular style] as he had done in the first round. The performer said, "I wanted to but the prod...." and he was cut off mid sentence. They tell the acts what to do, how to do it and they enhance the ones they want to win. Like any "reality" show, it's the producers reality, not real life.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 12:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
He is impersonating them, not trashing him. {

Gee, I wonder if the performer that he was *advising* to be trashier and meaner understood that. And why then Sharon and Howie said "no, no, no - bad idea!"

He clearly said that the meaner he was about his parents, the more his audience loved it. I guess a lot of us misunderstand poor "your-parents-must-have-died-of-embarrassment" Howard.

He IS mean, that's who he is.

Rvon

12-11-2003

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rvon a private message Print Post    
Marameko, I completely agree with you! I'll watch AGT again when Howard Stern is no longer a judge or on this show at all.

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 12:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I am not a Howard Stern fan, but am enjoying the show.

Shelb724

10-20-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Shelb724 a private message Print Post    
Howard Stern always talked about his parents and he loves them so much. Where the dad says "don't be stupid you moron"--that is a legacy and anyone who listened to his show knows it. I remember him playing tapes of when he was little (not really out of the ordinary, my dad used to tape me practicing piano and singing)where they have a discussion about what Howard was to do when he grew up. I can't remember the exact wording but it ended up him wanting to take over the world and his dad says "don't be stupid you moron." He used to play that a lot on his show.

His mom is wonderful--I loved listening to her. I will keep watching this--as i said before, it is a lot less tension with the judges, and that is worth watching :-).

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
That's not what he advised the performer to do. He told the performer to be edgier, meaner. And he told the performer that the meaner he was about his parents, the more his fans liked it.

So that is all I, and the folks who don't listen to his radio show, have to go by.

If it's not true, he has only himself to blame.

And frankly, after he made the comment about the performer's parents being "embarrassed to death" by the performer, well, I don't see how anyone can deny that he's mean.

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
And frankly, after he made the comment about the performer's parents being "embarrassed to death" by the performer

FWIW I thought that line was funny.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I thought it was cruel. To tell any child, even an adult, that their parents were dead because they were so embarrassed by that child? That's not funny, that's mean.

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 2:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I didn't pick up meanness...I picked up editing.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
No one forced him to say "your parents probably died of embarrassment". They can't put words in his mouth.

Alwayzmovin

11-06-2003

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Alwayzmovin a private message Print Post    
I never watched the show until Howard became a judge. I love his radio show on Sirius, listen to it the whole 5.5 hour drive up to spend time with my DH on weekends. I laugh out loud a lot, which makes me happy. Now, if I didn't like him, I'd simply not watch the show. Simple as that.I do agree, little kids do not have any business on the show. jmo

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 8:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I understand what you are saying about not watching if you don't like him but that "solution" is frustrating for people who have been fans of the show before Stern became a judge.

Wowprincess

09-04-2006

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 9:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wowprincess a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, with all due respect, can I ask why you even watch the show? Or do you? I can't tell if you do or not. Based on what you said about the little boy, I'm not sure. Howard did NOT tell the boy he was going to Vegas. When the Producers ran up to the judging table and told them they had to vote, Howard said to the other judges he votes yes, but Howie and Sharon voted NO. He was NEVER going to Vegas. Howard just felt bad about hurting his feelings.

Chitchat58

07-25-2008

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 5:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chitchat58 a private message Print Post    
I like the show better now that Pierce is gone. At least Howard has a better sense of humor, and doesn't push the button until it's really necessary. Pierce was way too serious.

Holly

07-21-2001

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 6:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
I couldn't believe the absolute look of glee on Howard's face as Nick Cannon gave the nut-kicking guy not one, but two *really* hard kicks in the groin. It was Howard who requested Nick do this and then both he and Shannon commented on how it definitely seemed to really hurt the guy as he doubled over and teared up.

How on earth does anyone find this amusing, entertaining, or "good TV" is what I'd like to know. It's one level below the Romans and their lions, IMO. Howard Stern is the epitome of a sophomoric 58-yr-old male and after Monday's show, I'm giving it a pass.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 6:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I've never found that sort of stuff amusing or entertaining. I'm not a Jackass fan.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 8:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, with all due respect, can I ask why you even watch the show? Or do you? I can't tell if you do or not. Based on what you said about the little boy, I'm not sure. Howard did NOT tell the boy he was going to Vegas. When the Producers ran up to the judging table and told them they had to vote, Howard said to the other judges he votes yes, but Howie and Sharon voted NO. He was NEVER going to Vegas. Howard just felt bad about hurting his feelings.

Wowprincess, with all due respect in return, I got the misinformation about the boy from an article, which I linked to above. I noted later that it was incorrect.

Because I don't like anything else on while AGT is on, I currently have it on while I am working in the evenings... so I listen in, and catch a bit here and there. So I did see the part where Howard voted him to Vegas, and the other two said essentially (and correctly) WHY put that child through it again? And I thought, why indeed? Do you want him to cry again? It was a STUPID decision, trying to make HOWARD feel better, and without any thought for what was best for the child.

So as for watching, I see some things, and only hear others, and I miss a lot. I stopped and watched the impersonator because he was very good and very funny. I didn't watch the balls beating act, but did turn in shock when they all voted it through.

When there is something better to watch, I will happily choose otherwise. Perhaps now that DWTS and AI are over, that's a possibility.

Jenjackso

02-10-2009

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 11:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jenjackso a private message Print Post    
I love the show regardless of who the judges are. Ultimately we pick the final winner. I miss Piers but I can see that Howard does have a big heart under his gruff exterior and his parents were awesome, his dad up on stage, that was great.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 12:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Haven't watched since the first act of the first show, but it sounds like basically it is being morphed into something more "amusing" (if you like humor that belittles/hurts people) and while there are fans of that, those of us who did enjoy the show, might wish that Howard had just stayed on his own show, entertaining his own fans? Cannot fault Howard for accepting an offer and lots of money, but can fault those running the show.

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 1:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
if you like humor that belittles/hurts people

That is not happening on the show

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The acts feel the same as always. Some ridiculousness, some legit talent.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
That is not happening on the show

That is your opinion. My opinion is that it is.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Just watched one of the shows from this week (not sure which one it was) that my TiVo found (too much on Mondays and Tuesdays before this week).

I thought Howard was ok, although they seem to be making him the boss (like Simon is the boss on X-Factor), and seeing as he's not my favourite person by any means, that's a bit annoying.

Is it me or are the audience more rowdy this season? They seem very animated with their "get offs" and boos. Or maybe it's the contrast to the BGT audience. If that's the way the show is going I might not be watching many more.