TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 23, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Talent/Variety Shows: America's Got Talent: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 23, 2012 users admin

Denecee

09-05-2002

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 9:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
I was disgusted by the "kicked in the nuts" guy. Seriously, this is not entertainment! What is wrong with people?
I did like the "What ya going do?" old man in the white suit. Now I wouldn't pay to see him other than paying my cable bill to see him on tv. I thought he was so sweet.
7 yr old was brave and I wanted to hug him

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 8:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Denecee, never watched this...but just now saw the 'Nut kicking'....WHAT?....was that entertainment???....I am so confused....

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 6:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
So what? He makes the kid cry first. Sure, he may go back and say sorry. But Howard has no filter, that's his problem. He doesn't think BEFORE he speaks. And then has to go repair the damage he's done.

He doesn't belong on a family show. And he's proving it.

Karuuna, do you still think he is a monster for making the kid cry?

Howard's parents are so cute. I love Ben and Ray. They have been married 65 years! Can you imagine?!

Did I miss the Drum Corp? Are they going to show more from the NY auditions?

I also agree the nut kicking is stupid. I can't believe all 3 agreed to send them to Vegas.

Shelb724

10-20-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 7:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Shelb724 a private message Print Post    
I watched this last night for the first time. I must say, I used to listen to Howard when he was on free radio, and once you get past all the silliness, i actually enjoyed listening to him (i'm a female btw). I was thrilled to see Ben and Rae--i loved them when they would be on his show and to see them in the audience was great. I almost felt like it was turning into the Howard Stern show on tv, which is fine with me, but there are two other judges. Other than that--there was no tension with Pierce Morgan as there was last year, which was kind of nice!

Konamouse

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Konamouse a private message Print Post    
Pierce would have buzzed the 7 yr old. Kid was going to cry no matter who buzzed him. The difference is Pierce would not have gone up on stage to consol him. Just another example of why there should be a ban on these little kids going on stage. They are NOT going to win, they are NOT appropriate for a headlining act on a Las Vegas stage.

As for the borderline acts, lots of them get a ticket to LV and then are sent home that first night (when they divide them up into three groups). One group automatically goes through, and the last group auditions for the remaining spots.

Wowprincess

09-04-2006

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wowprincess a private message Print Post    
I agree, Piers would have buzzed that kid as well. But Howard showed empathy towards him, and it felt nice, and it felt real.

Haven't watched last nights show yet. It's on the DVR.

I do think they are turning this into the Howard Stern show a little bit, but I also think he's adapted just fine and I have no problem with any way he's behaved on AGT.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, do you still think he is a monster for making the kid cry?

Yes. But even worse, I think he is horribly self-absorbed for making it all about himself (oh, woe is me, I'm not cut out for this, I can't do this any more, blah blah blah).

This is not how an adult acts. When a child is hurt, you are about the child's hurt, not your own- you don't go complaining about how hard it is on YOU. It was nice of him to go hug the boy and try and make it better, but that buzzer is harsh, and should be reserved for stupid adults.

He is still the guy who asks someone if his parents never told him he wasn't good at what he was doing, and the performer says "they're dead" and Howard says "they probably died of embarrassment." Mean, uncalled for, and that's how Howard is.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
And let's not forget that Howard then told the boy he was going to Vegas, and he is not. (Sharon and Howie tried to talk him out of it, of course, because WHY IN HELL would you put the kid through it again!!)

And so apparently the family packed and got ready to go, until the producers call and say it's all a mistake, you're not going.

Howard is just a walking disaster on this show.

The ratings fell another 10 percent from the opening.

Whoami

08-02-2001

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Frogichik, the drum corps based group didn't make it to the air. Perhaps they just were't awful or silly enough to make the air.

All we saw was a glimpse of them in the waiting area. I think it was as they were going to commercial. Someone on the Facebook page said this shot was actually in Charlotte.

I did come across some YouTube performances. One is back in Sept, and I don't know how much time they had to prepare. I'll honestly admit it may not be stellar, but it sure isn't awful enough to get pre-arranged boo's IMHO.

The Edge in September

And this one was a performance in Charlotte. Not the audition itself, just an extra-curricular performance outside the Charlotte Uptown Epic Center. Since this is in Charlotte, I'm assuming it's around the time of their audition, and probably the piece they would use for it as well. But I can't say for sure.

The Edge in Charlotte

Now, I can say maybe the average layman may not appreciate the squealing high notes they were hitting. It's not easy hitting those high notes. I'll also say that, on the Sept one, perhaps they should have concentrated more on the flag/rifle visuals, rather than the horns/drums marching around on that small stage. That might be more appealing to the general public. I dunno.

As I said earlier, it may not be everyone's cup of tea. And I respect that. But I certainly don't think it deserved to have the audience coached on booing, and having booing sounds piped in to entice the audience into booing. That is so disrespectful.

Some of these acts know going in that they are a throw away act. They're just there to get their mug on tv by doing the most outrageous thing they can think of. If you want to pipe in booing, direct it at those fools. Not at a group who made an honest effort to bring their talent to the stage.

Marameko

07-14-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Marameko a private message Print Post    
Call me when they kick Howard off so I can start watching again.........

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
And let's not forget that Howard then told the boy he was going to Vegas, and he is not. (Sharon and Howie tried to talk him out of it, of course, because WHY IN HELL would you put the kid through it again!!)

And so apparently the family packed and got ready to go, until the producers call and say it's all a mistake, you're not going.

Didn't Sharon and Howie vote no? Why would the parents think they were going to Vegas?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Whoami, interestingly, I just saw an article that validates what they said, that this year the audience has been encouraged to be more 'coliseum-like' in terms of how they treat performers.

While Tattle has long been a fan of the cheerful, low-key, “Britain’s Got Talent,” this year’s “AGT” has given short shrift to variety-show charm (and quality acts) and played up the judges’ reactions and the audience’s Roman Colosseum mob mentality. Never before have we seen so many shots of audience members screaming “You suck!” or “Do something crazy!”

Link is to philly.com

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Frogi, don't ask me, ask them. Read the article I linked to above.

Stern then went up onstage to console Amir and told him he was going to Las Vegas. Host Nick Cannon then had the boy face the camera and repeat that he was through to the next round.

The point however is that after Howard buzzed him, he may have done the right thing by trying to console him, but then he did the WRONG thing, by telling him he was going to Vegas. Why would you want him to go through that embarrassment and rejection again????

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
And Stern is not the problem. He’s gone out of his way to be gracious and family-friendly

From the same article

The Producers are the issue not Stern.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The article clearly says they are playing to "Stern's fans", so while he may not be the problem directly, his presence IS the problem.

And lying to a little kid, making him a promise he can't keep, that's a problem too.

This is the same guy who told a performer that his parents should have told him he wasn't any good. When he says his parents are dead, Stern says "they probably died of embarrassment."

How can anyone defend that? The producers think his fans LOVE that stuff, because of the rep Howard brings.

And that IS who Howard is. Did he not tell that impersonator that he needed to be edgier (meaner?). Like how his fans love when he says really awful things about his parents? That's just who he is. And who most of his fans are. And that's what the producers are trying to play to. Mean.

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
The point however is that after Howard buzzed him, he may have done the right thing by trying to console him, but then he did the WRONG thing, by telling him he was going to Vegas. Why would you want him to go through that embarrassment and rejection again????

Sharon also buzzed him why is she not to blame? Stern never said 1 negative thing to that child and gave several compliments.

Stern NEVER told the kid he was going to Vegas, the producers came up to the judges quietly and when the kid left the stage and I just re watched the clip and where did Nick tell him was going to Vegas

Here is the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_S8XwtFMp0

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
And lying to a little kid, making him a promise he can't keep, that's a problem too.

Where did Howard lie to the kid?

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
they are playing to "Stern's fans"

Again that is the producers who fire up the crowd, do the editing, promotion etc.

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
Like how his fans love when he says really awful things about his parents?

SO NOT TRUE! Howard ADORES his parents and they adore him. He would do ANYTHING for them and he always talks about how he worries about them at their age.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 10:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Frogi, Howard is the one who said his fans love it when he says mean things about his parents (something like the meaner the better)! It was on last night's show during his advice to the impersonator.

Howard voted the kid to go to Vegas - which was just stupid, as I said before. I guess the rest of that story was incorrect, however. Not sure why the family would think that either.

Denecee

09-05-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Denecee a private message Print Post    
I'm not a Howard Stern fan, but I don't watch this show for the judges. That being said, I think the judges should not buzz little kids, let them finish the 2 minutes, thank them for trying and vote no to Vegas!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It's weird that the ratings are down when this thread is so active. I guess controversy doesn't always equal ratings.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
AGT normally started 2 weeks later, after AI and DWTS finales. I think we'll know how it's really going to do starting next week.

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
I think the judges should not buzz little kids

After that fiasco I don't think they will be buzzing little kids again.

Frogi, Howard is the one who said his fans love it when he says mean things about his parents! It was on last night's show during his advice to the impersonator.

Which impersonator? The one with the TV screen that was being Howie, Sharon and Howard?

I skimmed through the show below and couldn't find what act you are talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8RvKa0aq4s

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 11:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
AGT normally started 2 weeks later, after AI and DWTS finales. I think we'll know how it's really going to do starting next week.

It was also up against the series finale of House