TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 20, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Ancestry: Who Do You Think You Are...: Archive through May 20, 2012 users admin

Cpaaa04

06-14-2011

Monday, May 14, 2012 - 12:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cpaaa04 a private message Print Post    
I just heard on the radio that NBC is cancelling this program. What a shame!!! I really liked this show. I guess ratings haven't been that great.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, May 14, 2012 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
How disappointing! Love this show. I'm sure Ancestry.com is disappointed too. Great boost for their subscriptions I would suspect.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Monday, May 14, 2012 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
I watched the episode with Jason Sudeikis. I can relate to his family history in that my father's family came from Lithuania about the same time, settled about 2 miles away from Jason's GGGrandfather. My grandfather went into farming, he was able to buy an 110 acre farm with family help that was already here. Jason went to the Pioneer Coal Tunnel, which is about 5 miles from where I was raised, and I have been there. And I now own the farm. I have just deeded it to a niece and nephew with sole survivorship and hope to keep it in the family forever.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, May 14, 2012 - 4:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
That is amazingly cool, Jag! :-)

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Monday, May 14, 2012 - 6:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
wonder if there is some way to legally make sure no one tries to sell it? it seems thats what the younger generation does these days for a quick buck.

even in my family, two of the four sisters who rec'd their share of land from my grandpa PROMPTLY sold it even tho they didnt need the money and were well off. One aunt was low income and needed the money. only my mom, low income, kept hers for nostalgic reasons. I'm glad we have that land in the family however, its pretty far away and she leases the farmland to the man who bought the other quarters.

my meandering point is that even when people dont need the money, they sometimes just plain dont want to be bothered.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Monday, May 14, 2012 - 6:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
I do lease 65 acres to another farmer for very little money. I never had kids and my niece and nephew are in their 50's and they are like mine own kids and they would never go against my wishes. They grew up on the farm during summers and want more than ever to keep the farm in the family. Their mother and stepfather are caretakers and live there for the last 25 years since my uncle died. We love our farm.

Needmylifeback

08-14-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Needmylifeback a private message Print Post    
Hummingbird.. people do see them (Pictures on Ancestry dot com) .. there was someone who posted pictures and they included my MIL (whom I never got the chance to meet) when she was a young lady...(amongst a group of girl friends .. one of which was this persons eventual aunt) somehow I found them .. and knew who she was .. but the person who owned the picture had identified the people incorrectly .. my husband and sister in law helped identify everyone .. and we now have a few photos that we never would have had access to had it not been posted!

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
I belong to Ancestry.com and I found pictures of my mother's grandparents. It was her paternal grandparents. I have never seen a picture of my maternal grandmother. She died when my mother was in high school. Someone has followed my paternal grandfather's family back to 1742. Ancestry.com is wonderful!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 2:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I too have found pictures of relatives on Ancestry.com. It's wonderful! I never would have seen photos of them otherwise.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Is Ancestry.com worth the $$? I'm curious to know more about a former BF (he was "the one") who is now deceased. I have his first, middle, last names, birth (1949 / general location at birth) and death (specific location at death) dates, 2 children, 2 grandchildren, 2 exs and 1 current wife at death, 1 brother, parents are deceased (don't know parents' names). He wouldn't be in an available census as yet? I guess I know a lot (?), but I want to know more. Could I learn more on Ancestry.com?

So Paula Deen was the end of this season? Nothing much "exciting" in her past. Unless there was some specific incorrect the family had, I find it hard to believe that anyone who's family were from the South didn't have slaves / were not involved with slavery. Unless there was good, but incorrect information, there was no reason for Paula to be so shocked.

Speaking of Paula and her cooking and health. I wish I could remember where on TV I saw a brief interview with her. She stressed -- ANYONE can get diabetes. ANYONE. True. If you lead a healthy life, you can get diabetes. If you live a none-healthy life, you may not get diabetes. But eating the kind of diet / cooking which she promoted is a HUGE contribution to developing diabetes.

I think anyone would say that cigarettes are / tobacco is a strong contributor to developing lung cancer. Same way with the diet / cooking Paula promoted and diabetes.

Dang, I just read Cpaaa04's post upthread that NBC is canceling the show. No! I like it.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 6:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I think Ancestry.com is reasonably priced as long as you are using it. You can pay by the month, and I paid for about 3 months worth and then cancelled because i didn't have the time or energy to do any more research. I wouldn't hesitate to join again. I learned a lot.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 9:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
i'm really tempted but i need to do it during a time I can spend TONS of time online.

I'm having One heck of a time getting estimates for Updating my house and OMG the yard workers I keep getting from Craigslist all seem to be on some serious medications.

Slurring, slow and easily confused. Worse still they ask for top dollar while working at half speed.

Anyways, enough complaining about THAT LOL

I watched Paula deen and was quite surprised at her son's reactions when she was trying to give them info at the end of the show. It was like ya ya ya so whats for dinner?

i found the reading of the letters very compelling. I always find stuff like that poignant. I had a feeling he would end up dead. The poor dad tho, to feel so strongly about slavery, losing a son, losing the profits and then basically losing his dignity.

i dont think i understand the diabetes comment. At this point i think everyone understands its a combination of Family genetics AND possibly wearing out of pancreas due to POOR diet/high sugars.

the woman seemed a little 'in her own world' to me. In my real life, i've found people who act, oversmile and laugh in inappropriate/ nonfunny comment are usually FAKE and just trying to ingratiate themselves.

i completely dont understand why she'd tell people they never had slaves in her family when BOTH her parents died so early in life. But then again, maybe no one wanted to talk about the Way the family lost EVERYTHING after slavery ended.

I can see ancestors just not passing down that Bad history.

Twiggyish

08-14-2000

Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 10:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twiggyish a private message Print Post    
It is possible for someone to have southern ancestors who did not own slaves. In fact, there were parts of the south who fought for the Union side. Look up Dekalb County, Tenn for Union soldiers. My grandfather's grandfather was a Union soldier. His brothers were, too.
http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entry.php?rec=369

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 8:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Color, in most cases I would say "yes, Ancestry.com is worth the cost." However, the specifics you listed on who you wish to look for and the information you have will likely yield limited returns (he was born too late to show up in a published census at this point and you don't know his parents' names). However, since he is dead there may be other relatives who have posted pedigree charts on Ancestry and included him by name (with parents) in their research (the living usually post as "Living 'Last Name,'" the dead generally are given their real names and some vital info.) You can also access some marriage records on Ancestry, but to get the information you need to trace him further you'll have to purchase the marriage application/record from the clerk's office where his marriage(s) occurred (will include his parents names, etc).

You can go to the Ancestry.com home page and punch in the information you have and see whether they come up with any records, then decide whether you wish to purchase the service. Caution . . . if you purchase and only intend to use the service for a month, you must cancel your membership at the end of that month (or during the month; they will give you the remaining days you purchased and then discontinue at the end of your paid month.) They will continue to debit your card indefinitely until you tell them to quit.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
If that was her 4 times great grandfather, she also had 63 other grandparents at that stage...and pretty watered down by the time she was born. My math may be off, but I know by about 4 generations we have a lot of 'greats'.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 8:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
i dont think i understand the diabetes comment.

By Paula's stressing that anyone can get diabetes, she was not taking any responsibility for the problem it is today by promoting her diet and cooking which can be very much a contributing factor. As popular as she is, her unhealthy eating and cooking probably did.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Thanks, GAL. I may try. I figured without his parents' names it would be difficult at this point. The 1940 census was recently published. When can we expect the 1950 census?

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 8:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Sad to say it will be another 10 years before the '50 census appears. They only release U.S. census records after 70 years have passed.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 8:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Have you his obituary, Color? You can generally get his parents and grandparents from that. They're not fail-safe, but since primary sources are generally involved in creating the obituary you can be fairly certain the information is on target.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 9:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
GAL has a good point -- recent people are not well represented in Ancestry.com. Even my grandparents, who've been dead for many years, had little information. Still, it might be worth one month's fees to do a bit of investigation.

Twiggyish

08-14-2000

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Twiggyish a private message Print Post    
My family has an ancestry account. There are a few of us who use it. My cousin in Virgina, my mother and I all use it. We each do research and add along to it.
I'd say Ancestry is good to have and it's fun to share if you have someone to help research. I have found a lot of information on relatives who were previously hard to find.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I do have his obit. Nothing about his parents or previous generations in that.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 1:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
I, too, thought it was just a bit silly of Paula to act so shocked that her 3X great-grandfather (a Southern plantation owner) had slaves. You cannot compare the here-and-now with the there-and-then. It was a different time and certainly no reflection on her.

Jag2000

07-01-2009

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jag2000 a private message Print Post    
Ancestry.com has just come out with the 1940 census. I was born 12/31/40 so I would not be included and that is the latest census they have. But you can get birth and death records after 1940. Time flies when you are on their website and I find it's worth every dollar you spend for it.

Doublethink

08-23-2006

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 3:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Doublethink a private message Print Post    
Just a note - 1940 census is free on ancestry.com and a number of other sites. So don't pay just to access the 1940 census.