TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 16, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Talent/Variety Shows: America's Got Talent: ARCHIVES: Archive through May 16, 2012 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I found it enjoyable too. The harp was unique and exquisite. Lots of lump in the throat moments, which makes the show worthwhile for me. And very relieved with Howard's relatively benign behavior on this show. He fits in just fine. Actually he seems less of a sourpuss and a negative nelly than Piers, which is something I didn't expect. I thought he'd be a lot more piggy and belligerent and so far - he's not. He comes across as an old softie, actually! And THAT shocked me. LOL. In other words, he's fine, but I still disapprove, on principle, of his hiring to be on a 'family show'.

This year, I am seriously falling hard for Nick Cannon! :-) Swooooooooooooooooon! ;)

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
I have never even watched this show....but I am right this min....I am not bothered by Howard Stern....unless he is mean spirited I dont really care....

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 5:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
I thought he'd be a lot more piggy and belligerent and so far - he's not. He comes across as an old softie, actually!

That is the Howard I know and love. It is what I have been saying for months in this thread.

He may talk a big game, but he IS truly a "softie" on the inside. This is what his fans have always seen. Not just the occasional frat boy moments on his show.

Cablejockey

12-27-2001

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 7:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cablejockey a private message Print Post    
The guy at the end was very touching--Turf the contortionist/dancer. That old lady with the walker wouldnt have gotten my vote if I was a judge. The nurse who sang opera gave me goose bumps, he was so good!!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 9:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, big softie:

Howard: Did you parents ever tell you that you shouldn't perform?

Performer: my parents are dead.

Howard: (not a word, not even a 'sorry')

And of course there were all the comments about how hot some of the female performers were, or the comment about the band, where he asks if the three guys are all "with" the female lead singer.

Family show? This is exactly what I thought would happen. He simply cannot refrain from making sexual remarks.

/nice guy that Howard.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 9:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I don't watch this show, so I probably shouldn't even comment, but to be honest (and being honest I should also say that I find Howard Stern reprehensible) isn't that exactly why he was brought onto the show...to make inappropriate remarks? Those people who like him like the fact that he is vulgar and inappropriate. Not my cup of tea however.

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
Howard: Did you parents ever tell you that you shouldn't perform?

Performer: my parents are dead.

Howard: (not a word, not even a 'sorry')

And of course there were all the comments about how hot some of the female performers were, or the comment about the band, where he asks if the three guys are all "with" the female lead singer.

With editing we don't know if he said sorry or not. As for the rest I was in hospital waiting rooms all day so I didn't catch the entire show last night. Just bits and pieces in the waiting room. Personally, I don't think saying girls are hot is a big deal. I don't have kids so I guess I don't think about it from a parents point of view.

I am really liking the show. I have never watched before and it is way better than I thought it would be. They are really hyping up Howard, but I think they need to focus more on the show instead of him.

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 9:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
hat exactly why he was brought onto the show...to make inappropriate remarks?

No. Howard and his wife have been a fans of the show for years and has openly talked about it on his show and the producers must have heard about it.

He is not doing the Howard Stern show. He simply wants to be a good Judge.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 9:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think asking a young band with three young men and a female lead singer: Three guys and one girl, how does that work? Are you ALL with her? - is completely inappropriate.

The editing after "my parents are dead" had the cameras pan to Howard, and as I recall, he simply looked down. Why would they MAKE him look bad? He's supposed to be the show's savior!

And how about "you can't sing, and you can't dance, but your shorts are really hot." Let's talk about dehumanizing women, shall we?

Face it, this is just who Howard is. You can't dress up a pig and take it to the ball.

I hear next week he makes a little kid cry, and then almost quits. Can't wait.

Frogichik

06-11-2002

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Frogichik a private message Print Post    
I hear next week he makes a little kid cry, and then almost quits. Can't wait.

Then I hear he turns to mush and goes on stage and hugs him.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
So what? He makes the kid cry first. Sure, he may go back and say sorry. But Howard has no filter, that's his problem. He doesn't think BEFORE he speaks. And then has to go repair the damage he's done.

He doesn't belong on a family show. And he's proving it.

Juliegirl

06-03-2008

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juliegirl a private message Print Post    
I thought after the guy said his parents were dead, Howard asked something like, "from what, embarressment?" I am pretty sure that is what my daughter and I heard him say. Anyway, i thought that comment was rude but I dont have an opinion either way on Howard and he isn't making or breaking the show for me.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Oh, Julie, you are right. He did say that!

Which makes it even worse. That was incredibly cruel.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The problem with all this is people are watching (apparently including all of us). I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I was curious enough to watch and I've never watched this show before.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I watched the first act, that ridiculous "magician" and deleted. I recorded the next ep but so far haven't had it on top of the queue to watch. I'm deleting more as I get busier I guess. Deleted last night's DWTW on both DVRs. I did watch a couple of eps of The Little Couple and enjoy seeing life well lived, and with kindness.

I've lived life free of Celebrity Apprentice for several seasons now, not even tempted to record that show.

I still may check this one out, or not. Maybe I'll just watch acts that people rave about on youtube.

As for commenting on hotness.. well Steven Tyler, Blake Shelton.. go there as well and they aren't alone. But Howard cannot take himself out of context for me.. like be a good guy in one venue and expect to have everyone ignore the rest of his life. For me..

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I didn't watch Monday night. Sadly, there was really nothing better on last night, so I had it on while I was doing paperwork. I missed more than I saw, but at least it confirmed what I already thought about Howard.

Too bad.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Well, looks like the bid to energize viewers didn't work either;

Howard Stern brought his Mr Nice Guy act to "America's Got Talent" on Monday, but the show failed to deliver the bumper ratings expected given the publicity over his arrival.

<snip>

But many TV viewers didn't bother to watch. "America's Got Talent" was 16 percent down from last year's season debut among the 18-49 age group prized by advertisers, ratings data showed on Tuesday.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/15/entertainment-us-howardstern-idUSBRE84E1B020120515

Stern brings Mr Nice Guy to "Got Talent" but few new eyeballs

Whoami

08-02-2001

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
"....among the 18-49 age group prized by advertisers..."

So nice to know I'm no longer prized.

Reminds me of when, many years ago one of WhosMom's and my favorite shows was unceremoniously dumped, despite good ratings, because the show was not reaching their "desired demographic." That was a direct quote from the network on why it got cancelled.

I fired off a letter to the network, informing them that, now that we knew we were part of an "undesired demographic," we would not be watching anything they put in that show's timeslot, lest we offend their advertisers by being inspired to purchase their product. I also closed the letter by thanking them for freeing up that time slot for us to watch The Pretender (on a rival network) without having to break out the VCR to record one and watch the other network (this was long before the days of dual tuner DVR's obviously!).

My guess is, Stern's appearance attracted the Stern fans they were counting on, but they also lost a lot of regular fans who have elected to sit this one out now that Stern is on it.

It does clash, and my DVR didn't record. It is on On Demand. But I haven't read anything here yet that inspires me to check out an act yet.

The group that I'm waiting for (that I mentioned up thread) performed during the North Carolina auditions. So I guess I have a ways to wait to see if they made it to the next round or not.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I'm not prized either, but it didn't bother me. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
They aren't being mean. They've just done studies that show that adults outside of that age range are less likely to be influenced by advertising.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 2:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, that's it! they are just saying we're less gullible. It's a compliment!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 3:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Beautifully phrased!

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
lol

Tishala

08-01-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Thought Howard was great.

The interesting thing I read a few weeks ago in the LA Times about AIs sagging ratings is that the average viewer of THAT show is now 48 or 49! It has the advertisers really worried.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 5:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Count me as unprized as well :-)