TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 13, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Ancestry: Who Do You Think You Are...: Archive through May 13, 2012 users admin

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 8:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
That's very cool Colordeagua! Through Ancestry.com I was able to contact 2 people doing research and they shared some info with me. One of them had actually called my mom 2 years ago when he was doing most of his research. It's a small world.

I watched Rita's episode and found it so moving. For her father to come from such a hard life, have so many bad experiences, and yet move on from them and build a new life is very inspiring.

I'm going to look for that PBS show. Hadn't heard about it.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, April 05, 2012 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
She hasn't gone on Ancentry.com yet because of cost. Probably will eventually. She sort of knew, but now has confirmed that she's related to Jesse Ventura. Knew him as a child. So I am more distantly related?!

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Friday, April 06, 2012 - 1:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
wow Sun I only watched the end of the story - I didn't get the impression he Dumped his family - I thought his wife and son died, and then he had to go to work camp -

i clearly talked about his Brother. Why would you assume I'm talking about his DEAD WIFE/kid?

his parents and siblings were left to fend for themselves.

and NO, after the war NAZIs did not run bulgaria or greece. Geez

the truth was presented, the father was up to no good, stole even while in the military, had all kinds of connections/ was known for the parties and Providing women of ill rupute AT those parties and was considered a troublemaker SO THEN he was sent to work camp. He did all those things not caring whether his family suffered. I call that selfish.

he is NOT a hero for running for the USA and immediately changing his name, then pretending he didnt have family. We saw pics of him as an old man and Tom Hanks was in the picture too. By that time, two years ago, he could have gone back and looked for family. The truth is he wanted a new life and got it. No strings.

I felt horrible reading Rissa's post. Its classic disfunctional family history. illegitimate pregnancy and a bunch of alcoholism in the mix. its sad for me since that ISNT in mine. I can see where people choose not to keep in contact when there is history like that.
(yes there is some alcoholism on my dad's side but NOT anything that impacted families)

Just because people further down the line started businesses or Got education does not mean they are well grounded Family oriented individuals.

I know people who come from "every man for himself" families. They are full of selfish people who get divorced because they decide THEY WANT out, who cares about the kids stability.

i think its telling in our society that the needs of a Selfish parent outweighs the needs of the Children for a stable household. i've heard it soooooo often... I wanted out because I wasnt Happy anymore. Me me me me.

and what has that got to do with This show...?? nothing.

just on a side tangent.

OKAY helen Hunt. liked the show, she looked weird from some bad plastic surgery but her eyes used to be so striking, it didnt look like her with the changes.

i would have Loved to know where the family lost all their money. Cause it sure sounds like they were filthy rich for decades.

its weird that having relatives so rich and famous would have NOT been mentioned as time went by. I'm thinking maybe when the stock market crashed, they lost everything???

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 12:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
i liked it!! i liked all the real solid info and very little extrapolating.

I'm surprised the capt took his wife on board as this created tons of tension in the men. men could be on ship for two years or more without makingit back home. How sad she died at 28 but early death was not uncommon and often it was complications of pregnancy. due to poor hygiene and doctors who didntbelieve in hand washing, even the smallest cut could lead to a deathly infecton. If i recall correctly, 50% of women died from Child birth

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I don't think HH had much in the way of plastic surgery because I was wondering why she didn't get her eyes done as the outside corners were drooping so badly that it probably will interfere with her vision at some point.

http://www.hollywoodbackwash.com/helen-hunt-says-no-to-plastic-surgery-not-aging-well/

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 10:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I watched that Finding your Roots show on PBS -- the episode with Kevin Bacon. I really, really enjoyed it. Very well done.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 4:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Just watched it last night myself. Enjoyed it as well, although I could have done without the back and forth btn the two lineages. Very different show as the subjects do zero research, they are just presented with the results all neatly organized and bound.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 5:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Slavery was in their family history (or was it just Kyra's?), but HLG delved deeper into slavery in general and his research on it in current times than was needed for Kevin's and Kyra's history. HLG used up too much program time for his own interests.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 6:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
There was slavery on Kevin's side as well which was interesting since his ancestors were quakers. It was noted that in his ancestor's will he requested that each of his children receive one slave and that those slaves continue to be educated and freed upon his children's death. Not sure what to think of that. On the one hand he was going against public policy by educating his slaves and it sounds great making provisions for their eventual freedom but since you can assume his children would live another 20-30 yrs that's not exactly generous. Seemed to me that it was a way to salve his guilt without actually doing anything of value for those slaves.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 7:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
That was one aspect that I liked about it Colordeagua -- that it did delve into history. Without commercials I felt we did get to see enough about Kevin and Kyra's history without feeling cheated. I'll watch this show again. I wonder if I'll like it as much when I have no idea about who the subjects are (like next weeks religious leaders ep).

Kitt

09-06-2000

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 9:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It looks like four episodes are posted in full on the pbs website:

Kyra Sedgewick and Kevin Bacon
Barbara Walters and Geoffrey Canada
Branford Marsalis and Harry Connick, Jr
John Lewis and Cory Booker.

looks like lots of clips too. I'm also wondering what it will be like when you don't know who they are, most of the above names are unfamiliar to me.

http://video.pbs.org/program/finding-your-roots/

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Kitt! I was able to watch the first ep with Cory Booker and John Lewis. (I'm a huge fan of Booker's but hadn't heard of Lewis.) Wonderful show, enjoyed it very much. Wasn't able to access the other vids, but will try again later.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I started a thread for Finding Your Roots:

https://tvclubhouse.com/forum/messages/156/156.html?1334169797

Riviere

09-09-2000

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 12:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Riviere a private message Print Post    
For those of you who didn't understand the slavery issues, if set free many states simply captured freed slaves to sell them back into it, and profit for themselves. My ancestors had also willed servants to their kids, to keep them free and protected in the homes they knew. In later years those educated ex slaves were prosperous due to foresight of the ex owners...

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 10:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
i thought it looked like Helen hunt had fillers done. they make the face puffup then it gets really saggy when it runs out. I didnt mean cutting surgery.
on Finding Roots, it came up how complex the owner /slave relationship sometimes was. A number of instances were found in which the socalled OWNER so valued and cared about his slave family that he gave them huge tracts of land and sometimes property with Houses. i dont think ALL slave owners were inhuman monsters. Nor do i consider them automatically "white" which is always the racist labelling words spoken when slavery is brought up. my ex was pure dutch (or generations) and had a dark curly almost afro and would tan so dark that we were discriminated against in california( and at the usa border)

i wish people would just say "european" and leave the colour of people's skin or ancestry out of the equation.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 9:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
This was really good last night (and Rashida Jones is gorgeous - not to mention smart as a whip). If you missed it, you can watch the whole episode on the "Who Do You Think You Are" website.

I would have liked to hear about her father's side as well, but the episode is entirely about Peggy Lipton's side of the family.

Kitt

09-06-2000

Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 10:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, a really good show, best for a while. Some things are so shocking you can barely react to them. What could you do with some of that information but go home and cry?

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 10:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
This show is so interesting, but I find it more interesting how they zero in on one strand, like it's the most important one. My goodness, we all have, and I mean each and every one of us, 128 5x great grandparents.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Monday, May 07, 2012 - 3:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
i think whats the most shocking is people think that genocide like that is Ancient history.

people being rounded up and killed for their ancestry or beliefs is still occurring in Africa.

what i dont understand is how anyone doesnt have a clue about their ancestry. It sounds like she knew she was jewish on her mom's side. Why did she think they left europe?? i mean seriously, how could she NOT know?

i liked how the name had its origins traced right back to the early 1800s?? 1700s??

stuff like that is great.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, May 07, 2012 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
GAL, she is a Harvard graduate; that takes some 'smarts'.

Cricket

08-05-2002

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 7:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Cricket a private message Print Post    
Wow! Last week's show with Rashida Jones was so informative and interesting; not to mention heartbreaking. I did not know who she was until the show. I remember when her Mom & Dad got toether.

I pray this isn't going to happen again. Never thought in my lifetime it could be possible, but am very concerned for Israel in the current climate.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
I placed photos of my ancestors on Ancestry.com. I wonder if anyone will ever see them.

Hummingbird

08-21-2002

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 8:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Hummingbird a private message Print Post    
Helen Hunt was never a beauty but I think she is a good actress.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I really liked the Rashida Jones episode as well. So powerful. I had no idea who she was either, had just seen her in movies and TV.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 10:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
thought the sudikios? episode was great. ISnt it fascinating the legacy of growing up without a father??

but in one way, it must havebeen very hard to learn those things. That grandmother really kept her mouth shut. I dont know.it bothers me that she didnt even Try to say nice things about the dad's REAL father. yes he walked out the day of the wedding but it must have been expected considering his condition.

what I didnt understand and the show didnt explain is what was with the older sister?? the older sister was two and we werent told if she had the same father as jason'sdad. i mean if edna got knocked up once and never married, why get married during the second pregnancY?

and to tell the son NOTHING about the dad at all, it just seems sour grapes to me. especially when her son ended up with alcohol problms too. you'd think she'd say something then

either way, i enjoyed this show and how different it was.