TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 25, 2012

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Other Reality Shows: Ancestry: Who Do You Think You Are...: Archive through February 25, 2012 users admin

Kitt

09-06-2000

Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, that's definitely what they said in the program, it was on appeal that they reduced the charge to carrying a concealed weapon, and for that he was given a month(?) in jail and a fine. To me that lends credence to the fact that he shouldn't have got off in his first trial, and sounds like they were charging him with anything they could, just to appease the public... but really who knows.

I kind of thought asking for money during the trial was odd, but again, you never can know how things were said when all you see is a written transcript (let alone a translated one!).

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 8:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
newspaper articles and court records show that Leopold was killed by a business partner he’d fired.

transcribed from the show and the paperwork shown on screen during the show.

QUOTE terzillio was described as a wealthy man and a kiln operator in the newspaper article.

he met up with bianchi and after a a few words just outside the cafe ---. terzillio, who the night before was insulted and Beaten, fired a shot which killed bianchi.

in the inditement paperwork.... the accused bought the lime kiln in january from the father of bianchi. it was constructed on the land of a third party. for the acquisition of the business, he utilized the mediation of the father and for the running of the kiln he employed franscescos brother tito. the good harmony rapidly changed between january and march in which Tito was Fired for disloyalty march 5th.

(( what i find interesting is that all those details of WHAT the dishonor was etc would have been in the court transcripts. i find it questionable that its not even read on the show.

i think its funny how marissa laughs that self defense couldnt be the reason because he was shot from behind. BUT it easily could have happened during a scuffle. there were buttons broken off the waistcoat so he WAS being manhandled physically CLOSE. they didnt have forensics like we do. going in the back of neck/skull and coming out thru eye could easily have happened if attacker had head back during a fight.))

ok and YES the man got 38 days and a fine for carrying a gun, not murder

i dont know, it kinda bothers me how marisa still calls it a a murder even tho she knows it was an attack on the rich man on the street. we all have the right to self defence. In the usa i doubt if there would even be the gun charge.

Reader234

08-13-2000

Monday, February 13, 2012 - 9:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Reader234 a private message Print Post    
thanks for putting it all out there like that sunshyne

just watched Sheen episode -

did I miss why he went to the uncles? was it to make it more interesting? follow the interesting storylines? BUT I will say dd was talking about her history class and a paper they have to write - she picked Scotland (was it because of Braveheart - um maybe? roflol!!) we talked about Ireland, and because of Sheen and the talk of the uncle's jailing, I knew more than I ever did about Irish history! (hard to stay 1 step above a teenager! lol and yes, I said, well the 5 min tv show talked about... roflol!)

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, February 17, 2012 - 4:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Blair Underwood tonight. Yay!!!

Whoami

08-02-2001

Friday, February 17, 2012 - 6:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Whoami a private message Print Post    
Hmmm....that's odd. It's not showing up on my DVR for tonight. In fact, it looks like it's not scheduled till next week for Blair Underwood. In it's place tonight is the NAACP Image Awards.

Rissa

03-19-2006

Friday, February 17, 2012 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Same here, no Blair until next Friday. :-(

Kitt

09-06-2000

Friday, February 17, 2012 - 6:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
it's gone from my list too. I was looking forward to that tonight.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 3:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
So disappointing. Sorry for the wrong info, guys. I looked on the website and didn't even notice the date it was scheduled to run, I just noticed it was the next WDYTYA.

Sunshyne4u

06-16-2003

Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 5:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sunshyne4u a private message Print Post    
finally watched the martin sheen episode. i liked the historical aspect of it. its always cool when they can go back to actual locations to see where relatives lived/ worked or were incarcerated.

i didnt like the assumption that the antonia lady was the same EXACT woman that was prosecuted by the great great great great great (a few more greats?) grandfather from the 1700s. i would have liked to see more info that the lady WAS for sure, beyond a doubt, that same woman.

even then, it was fully five generations later that the family mixed/ converged and being a smallish town, its not a surprise.

i thought it was interesting that the midwives birthed babies but also were responsible for doing the abortions too. It makes a lot of sense since they would be able to cause early delivery and it could be made to look incidental.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Friday, February 24, 2012 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Love this episode. Love it. LOVE. African American genealogical research is such a heartache - not only did these people have to live in slavery, but to disappear from any record in history is just an incomprehensible result for a comparatively modern society.

We all have crazy in our closet somewhere - Blair found his, I found mine a few years ago. Mine also involved threats with an axe. Made me feel closer to Blair. Maybe I should write him.

The DNA results were stunning. I would have liked to learn more about Blair's 10x cousin back in the Cameroon - how did he come to speak such clear English? What does he do for a living? Why was he chosen/asked to take a DNA swab?

Next week: Reba McIntire

Holly

07-21-2001

Friday, February 24, 2012 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
GAL, didn't you feel a bit skeptical about the cousin in Cameroon? I found that part of the story to be a bit hard to believe. I think it was staged for the show.

Angelicfairies2

07-18-2004

Friday, February 24, 2012 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Angelicfairies2 a private message Print Post    
I'm watching the Blair episode now. I'm gonna have to catch the Martin Sheen one, I missed it. Hulu charges now correct?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, February 24, 2012 - 9:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I believe everything about Blair's 10X cousin in Cameroon to be true. IIRC, I got the idea early when all the gene research was done in Africa, his cousin was one of not too many who probably simply offered to have a sample of his genes taken. His cousin may live in a city where English is more commonly spoken. I'd guess then they met in a village where Blair's cousin was from and some family still lives.

Henry Louis Gates, Jr. has done a number of programs shown on PBS tracing ancestry back to the African continent. Link

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Friday, February 24, 2012 - 9:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
I believe it to be true as well. And not to be callous, but with this technology there is money to be made. People will pay to learn this information, Americans will pay for that. And not just for African heritage, but all bloodlines. These databases are being built, this DNA catalogued. I find it all very fascinating. I'd love to know how much that DNA analysis costs from Ancestry.com.

Fascinating and moving episode tonight. So much American history that I'm clueless about. Found it all so interesting about the laws in Virginia.

ETA: Just looked at the link above. $200 for testing seems quite reasonable to me.

Holly

07-21-2001

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Hmmm, still not convinced. It's all a bit too pat for me. Has there ever been one of these celebrities who found out they only had boringly normal, 'day-to-day slugging' type ancestors? Noooooo, they all have to have hero revolutionaries, founding father types, or freakishly outstanding personalities in their bloodline.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Holly, they cull these stories from a much larger group of celebrities who have agreed to be the subject of research. They simply pick out the celebrities with the sexiest story lines and leave off of the show celebrities with the "normal" and "boring" genealogies.

Ancestry.com would be making a huge mistake to falsify DNA results for a show like this; they would immediately be attacked by scientists who would cast doubt on the abilility of DNA testing to provide a definitive result such as was presented in this case. Unless a group of genetic naysayers comes forward to dispute the presentation last night, I'll weigh in favor of its veracity.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Angelic, you can watch the full Martin Sheen episode Here

Link is to the website for "Who Do You Think You Are" on NBC.com

Doublethink

08-23-2006

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Doublethink a private message Print Post    
Well, I had to go to genealogybank.com to see if I could find any of those stories on Sawney Early. I got three hits, and there was one small blurb which the episode didn't mention.

"Southwestern Virginia," February 18, 1884, p. 4

"Sawney Early, the notorious colored man, who was lately shot while stealing wood, has been adjudged insane."

So looks like he might have been put in the mental institution shortly after this incident.

Doublethink

08-23-2006

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Doublethink a private message Print Post    
Well, I had to go to genealogybank.com to see if I could find any of those stories on Sawney Early. I got three hits, and there was one small blurb which the episode didn't mention.

"The Sun (Baltimore)," February 18, 1884, p. 4

"Sawney Early, the notorious colored man, who was lately shot while stealing wood, has been adjudged insane."

So looks like he might have been put in the mental institution shortly after this incident.

Goddessatlaw

07-19-2002

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Goddessatlaw a private message Print Post    
Interesting find, Doublethink. I wonder why they didn't show that - they insinuated that his wife may have committed him just to make her life less chaotic. He struck me as insane from the earliest story. And they were awfully quick to surmise that he was a Conjurer without anything really resembling proof.

Doublethink

08-23-2006

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Doublethink a private message Print Post    
Ok, I admit I get hooked trying to do further research on the families shown in these episodes. I really do enjoy this program. In any case, Sawney Early is mentioned in the book "Lynchburgh and its people," by W. Asbury Christian, published in 1900. See page 308

http://www.archive.org/stream/lynchburgitspeop00chri#page/n7/mode/2up

Goddess - I'm not sure why they didn't show it, missed searching that newspaper, perhaps only looked in Virginia newspapers. Also very surprised, they didn't mention the above account. He really does sound a bit insane, doesn't he. Of course, these articles were all written (mostly likely) by white folks, so who is to say.

Cheryl

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Noooooo, they all have to have hero revolutionaries, founding father types, or freakishly outstanding personalities in their bloodline.

I've watched every episode and I don't really recall that. Some of them have had non-extraordinary heritages. ANd some, like Sheen, they've gone down Uncle lines to find something interesting. REally, I find it all fascinating. After looking back at my family tree I was easily able to find 2 semi-scandalous items, one on each side of the tree. I don't think it's that hard. Life was tough back then.

I didn't think they insinuated the wife had him committed, I thought they insinuated the two white neighbors probably had him committed. The historians insinuated he was a conjuror, so I guess we have to rely on their expertise in the subject matter.

Doublethink

08-23-2006

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Doublethink a private message Print Post    
Well these so called experts are speculating just like we are. I am surprised that there were no court records on the insanity hearing. Of course, I'm assuming that there was a hearing, I don't know the laws in Virginia. My great aunt had my great uncle committed, and I found the documents recording this fact in the probate court records. She had to go to court to have him committed.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Oh yes, there's a lot of guesswork in piecing together the past for sure. I would hope a historian would have some level of expertise about how things were done in the area during that time. Having a second opinion would help too.

Thanks for posting that link. Fascinating stuff.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Noooooo, they all have to have hero revolutionaries, founding father types, or freakishly outstanding personalities in their bloodline.

If they didn't have celebs with something interesting / at least a little out of the ordinary in their ancestry, the show would be purdy boring. It would just be a list of names.