TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 19, 2022

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Vocal Talent Shows: American Idol XX: General Discussion: Archive through April 19, 2022 users admin

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Monday, March 07, 2022 - 2:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
At the risk of sounding cynical, did the platinum ticket girl have a great backstory? I just feel that the backstories have become more predominant in the later seasons. If you think way back to Kelly, Clay, Ruben, etc. I don't recall much about any of them.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, March 07, 2022 - 3:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I don't remember the platinum ticket girl having a backstory. I think the girl whose father played guitar with her had more of a story, and she was probably hoping for some of what the platinum ticket girl got.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Monday, March 07, 2022 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I don't think last week's platinum ticket winner had a back story

She was just a good singer and they sent her to Luke's bar to perform to see how a live audience reacted to her, and they LOVED her!

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Thursday, March 10, 2022 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I do absolutely hate it, when people make it through because of their "backstory". But I understand that's how they make the show interesting to most people.

I sometimes think, that with the golden buzzer, the Platinum ticket, the Go-straight-to-Hollywood, on all of these talent shows... They must have some kind of heads up from production, as to who they would like them to pick?

I always ask myself, how do they know until they get the end of the show who deserved special fast forward, without seeing all the contestants first? How do they know there's not a contestants AFTER that one that might be better?

I think the girl that got the Platinum ticket, Kenedi, was advanced not so much for just her voice (good but certainly not the most impressive of the evening) but for her original rendition of Lady Gaga's song, Applause. She totally made it her own. She plays the piano. She's very cute. She's from some small town and very humble. I can see them buzzing about another Carrie Underwood type? In other words, she's the total package in their eyes. I think they see dollar signs LOL

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, March 10, 2022 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Of course they see the dollar signs! The whole point of this show is to find someone who could be an "idol," not just someone who sings well. They need the whole package. Remember there's a record contract at the end of this, and they're not investing all this money in someone who's not going to sell some songs.

I enjoy seeing the backstories and don't agree that they pick people based on them. I think their backstories are a part of their total package and what has brought them to where they are today. If all we ever saw was one person singing after another, I think it would be a pretty boring show. I think the human interest stories give the show its heart.

And singers don't always advance just because of their backstories. Sometimes we see favorites fall out of the competition at some point despite their backstory. They just aren't strong enough singers. But then once you get to the live voting, it's up to the public (except for the West Coast, cause we aren't allowed to vote anymore 😡) to determine who their favorite is.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Thursday, March 10, 2022 - 1:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
I don't necessarily think the people that actually watch these voting shows are always the same as the people that vote. Many are social media followers of celebrities or a person of influence backing a certain contestant etc.

I think people have made it through because of their backstory, or they've garnered the sympathies of the public. Does anybody remember Sanjaya? Lol

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, March 14, 2022 - 7:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
How adorable was the little country girl from "Whiteville"? I hope she goes a long way.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Tuesday, March 15, 2022 - 3:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I like the little gal with the broom and so happy they put the last guy, Sam through to Hollywood. He probably won't go far, but what an experience for him.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, March 15, 2022 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Each year the talent surpasses the last...this year is no exception.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Tuesday, March 15, 2022 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
So much talent! I love all of those mentioned above plus so many more! LOL

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, March 22, 2022 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Looking forward to Hollywood week. I'm not hearing what the judges are hearing. I thought the guy who did Stevie Wonder was good. And the ballet guy had some cracks, I thought.

Lazylu

04-09-2010

Wednesday, March 23, 2022 - 8:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lazylu a private message Print Post    
I think they have to have some not so good ones to send home from Hollywood so that is why some of them are sent through.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, March 23, 2022 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
When does Hollywood week start?

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Wednesday, March 23, 2022 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
March 27/28 - Auditions after Oscars/Hollywood Week Genre Challenge

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, March 23, 2022 - 12:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks Scooter! :-)

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Sunday, March 27, 2022 - 11:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
SinceBB1. Idols producers pick the singers, the performers do not. Most people are scouted and convinced to perform.
I don't know if Kelly was scouted and was in talks about a contract when her apartment burnt down and she had to go home. She was doing background singing in LA. She has said many times her friend convinced her to try out. She was saving up to go back to L.A.
Ruben on year two was scouted, he was reluctant because he had a band and was getting local gigs.
Fantasia was absolutely scouted and the planned winner of year 3. She was not at the early tryouts and had a cover story about going in after it was over because of a kindly security guard. Bu she said she tried out for cast - only the cast is not at the early trials, they only show up at the last step and only see the ones the producers want them to see. she and Diana Digarmo both had contracts that year and had to break them.
I forget who was on the 4th year. I think it was the year of PenBoi, but really was a while ago.
On the fifth year, Carrie had already toured in Europe and had a regular summer tour with her band. She had a contract and an album coming out. The show helped her get her contract broken and sold her as a cute farm girl, collecting eggs from the farm, but she was quit successful already in her state.

every year I think it gets more and more sterile in producing a singer and less likely a non-professional will sneak in. You really need some experience to get your confidence and performing ability up there on TV.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yes, I agree that the way they get in, or the way they stay in, isn't always completely or solely because of their talent.

I have some inside connections, people that work in the industry of reality competition shows. Also vocal coaches who have had students that have been on the show.

I am often left shaking my head by much of the goings on, behind the scenes, on all of these shows. Sometimes it's not even about the contestant.

It is all about producing the show and getting ratings, which equal making money

That is why I enjoyed watching Big Leap. It put a little bit of the "behind the scenes" in the spotlight. Wonder if that's why it was canceled? Lol

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, March 28, 2022 - 6:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
The big leap was cancelled? I thought it was renewed! Off to check the cancellation thread. runrunrunrun

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, April 11, 2022 - 10:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I am quickly falling for Tristen! He is so fun to watch and really does have a good voice. I love his Mom!

Tristen for the win!

I still have to see who stands out tonight as well before I really pick all my favs.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Monday, April 11, 2022 - 11:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Sadie yes... Big Leap was canceled after one season. I'm so sad about that.

Naja at first, I kind of liked Tristan, but thought he's never going to last. But boy, he just comes back better and better every time he sings! Strangely enough, I was saying he should sing a Joe Cocker song because his movements are kind of like him... And boy did he knock that one out of the park! You can just tell, he's a really nice guy too!

It's going to be hard to even pick a top 10. They really all are so good this year! I think there are five that I see getting to the end. But I mean if the others get better and they don't. They could be surpassed. One bad note, one fit of nerves could make the difference

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, April 12, 2022 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
So sad that Kenedi dropped out! There were rumors swirling for the last week. Then last night on the show... They confirmed it.

Of course I was waiting to see what the reason was. Headlines today said she had finally made a statement about the reason she dropped out. It was a hard decision, but it was for personal reasons. Okay not exactly the update I was looking for LOL

Anyway, there is nothing posted about it at all. No rumors or anything. But I did find on India News, of all places, that she had to leave due to a "lawsuit" she is involved with. Sooner or later it's going to come out for sure.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, April 12, 2022 - 6:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Wow. Such a lost opportunity.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Tuesday, April 12, 2022 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I really do think she would have made it to the top 3! Top 5 for sure.

Sincebb1

08-22-2005

Wednesday, April 13, 2022 - 11:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sincebb1 a private message Print Post    
Rumor number two:
"Many believe Kenedi got an agent or a record deal out of her early-season performances"

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, April 19, 2022 - 2:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I was glad Tristan made it through. They saved him for last. The local news people kept pushing Cadence as a local,but Tristan is from Alabama, too, and I like him better.