TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 23, 2021

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Vocal Talent Shows: American Idol XIX: General Discussion: Archive through May 23, 2021 users admin

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, May 13, 2021 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I don't think any of us are holding this against him. I agree that it could be devastating for him. I feel very bad for him. I think we are all in agreement about that point.

I just question where he (or the kids he was involved with) learned to do something so racist as actually making and wearing a KKK hood.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Thursday, May 13, 2021 - 8:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The amount of what I’d describe as casual racism in parts of America is astonishing (though I’m less astonished by the minute).

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Thursday, May 13, 2021 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
I agree with Stategist and Jimmer. I dont think anyone is blaming Caleb (at least on this forum) and this can have huge psychological impact on him now...

BUT let's not just push this aside of 12 year olds not knowing about racism or doing things behind parents' backs. Sure some might not understand the significance of a KKK hood... but I was fully aware of racism and the KKK from a least age 5, my son has been talking about racism (and how bad it is) since he was in daycare...

i like Jimmer's reference to "casual racism"... most racism is just that - subtle, casual, microaggressions that can be intentional or unintentional....

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, May 13, 2021 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Casual and systemic racism happens in Canada too. What some people call "benign" is terribly detrimental to those of us who are recipients of it.

Throughout grade school, I was called a racist name I won't repeat. One day, a bunch of kids plastered racist graffiti on my childhood home. Many of my neighbors children banded together and came to my home with buckets of soap and water to scrub off the paint. Clearly, children can be taught to be empathetic, anti-racist, and kind.

Being racist is learned from generation to generation and person to person. I am incredible thankful for my neighbors and people like Legalboxer who have learned better (and taught their children better). Many of you posting have likely done the same, so I'm not trying to disparage anyone with this comment.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Thursday, May 13, 2021 - 10:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
TOP FOUR (They are all really good)

My guess...

#1 Willie Spence, 21
#2 Casey Bishop, 16
#3 Chayce Beckham, 24
#4 Grace Kinstler, 20

What's yours?

Egbok

07-13-2000

Thursday, May 13, 2021 - 10:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
The TOP 4, I think they are all talented above and beyond but someone has to win.

My guess . . .

1. Casey Bishop, 16
2. Willie Spence, 21
3. Chayce Beckham, 24
4. Grace Kinstler, 20

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Thursday, May 13, 2021 - 11:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
I feel bad for Caleb, but I understand why they let him go. It's not really the image AI wants to promote. I agree sometimes little boys participate in things they don't really understand. My younger brother told me that when he was in grade school, he thought Nazis were "cool." He just thought they were some kind of "bad guy" and loved to draw swastikas and Nazi symbolism all over his school binder. It wasn't until he got into middle school that he learned what the Nazis really stood for.

And casual racism still exists in America. I grew up in California, but my parents were both from Arkansas. I remember going back for a visit and my cousins, who were just a couple of years younger than me (I was 17 at the time), told me they were glad they'd moved to their new house, cause if they hadn't moved, they would have had to go to a "n**** school." What?! I was shocked, but didn't say anything I was just so floored. I would now! But didn't have the confidence to speak up at that age.

I'm ashamed to say I grew up hearing my dad use that word occasionally. It was unfortunately part of the culture he grew up in. Happy to say that later on, as he became acquainted with people of color both as co-workers and members of his church, he became more accepting of all people.

We all need to teach our children to love, rather than hate.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Thursday, May 13, 2021 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I’m betting Caleb didn’t even know what that white hood represented, only that it was scary. Cancel culture has gotten out of hand and will start to lose its meaning.
Will any of the other singers that were let go take his place?l

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Friday, May 14, 2021 - 2:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I need to point out I said he said itwas NOT a kkk hood but from some horror movie.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Friday, May 14, 2021 - 4:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Sorry, I misunderstood you Sadiesmom.

I looked up the horror movie, "The Strangers: Prey at Night" and I saw no KKK mask. Although his mother said they were copying them, it was an entirely different mask. No matter. I'm just glad that Caleb now recognizes that what he and his friend did was wrong and he has apologized. I do hope he has a good life.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, May 14, 2021 - 7:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That could be an incredibly costly mistake for a twelve year old kid to make.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Monday, May 17, 2021 - 8:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
man - last night was super hard - all four stepped it up. Casey is just fun to watch her wanting to be a rock star, Grace nailed the Kelley Clarkson song that was Kelley's finale on AI, Willie, well, he is Willie, and Chayce just is the professional already.

Legalboxer

11-17-2003

Monday, May 17, 2021 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Legalboxer a private message Print Post    
wow - i did not see that outcome coming..

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, May 17, 2021 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
The problem is all shows are so long now while the weeks are so short, I don't care about any of them. I don't see them learn and grow. Voting before they perform annoys me. I tend to flip to other shows because of the long talking parts or other performers and forget to turn back.
It us the short attention span and so much I am not interested in this show no longer works for me.

Snoopsmom

02-18-2003

Monday, May 17, 2021 - 9:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
I was happy with the outcome. Casey was my least favorite of the final 4.
Hoping the final 2 will be Chayce and Grace. Willie is immensely talented, but sounds the same to me on every song.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, May 17, 2021 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I'm okay with the outcome. All four were great.
So I'm good with whatever happens next:
Grace (because she has amazing range and an inspiring message for young girls)
Willie (because I get emotional every darn time I hear him sing)
Chayce (because he is an incredible singer songwriter)

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
We were very disappointed about Casey. She was our favorite. Grace has a beautiful voice, but it takes more than a beautiful voice to have a career. They are all very professional and will probably all have careers.

Good for Chayse for having the #1 song on iTunes! That's a pretty big deal. I hope he's making some money off of it and it's not all going into production's pocket.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Number one on iTunes is temporarily impressive and I do hope for him. But do you all think this is going anywhere? At this point, unless there is an astonishingly amazing person that comes along, I can't see anyone having any significant success from these shows. Which is a shame because the old AI actually gave the winner (or finalists) a fan base to build on and a real chance at major success.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I voted for Chayce last show. He's DH's favorite and I like him as well. I think he has a shot at making some hit music. But like I say every year from the start.... I don't vote on their potential. I vote on how much they have entertained me on the show. I can only hope it turns into hit records.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I'm kind of torn on this myself. On the one hand there is a show like "The Voice". When it first came along it was impressively different. Big production values and extremely vocal, famous, talented, entertaining judges who frequently participated in the entertainment. It was flashy with the chair turning and it was fun!

On the other hand we had the original version of AI. A small and simple production, almost like seeing an unknown singer playing in a coffee shop or a small club. Tough judges, at least one of whom was more than willing to be very critical and not just a cheerleader. Sure it wasn't splashy but we got to see what the performers could do pretty much on their own, week after week and we got to see them grow as performers. That was fun too.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
I was disappointed about Casey, as well. She was my second favorite after Chayse.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 - 6:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I think that Chayce will have an incredible career as a singer-songwriter. The potential for income and prestige within the industry is huge.

Grace will likely have more singing gigs, but I can't see her becoming a superstar. I hope I'm wrong.

I think that Willie will cut a record and a lot of people will buy it. I would!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Sunday, May 23, 2021 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
So, it feels like the judges song choices were geared to a Willie Grace top 2.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, May 23, 2021 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Finale night and I don't care. Years ago, I would've been so thrilled and excited. It was a different time.

Snoopsmom

02-18-2003

Sunday, May 23, 2021 - 6:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Snoopsmom a private message Print Post    
Boy, do I feel old. Grace singing Without You and Katy talking about growing up hearing Celine sing it and that being what pushed her into singing.
I don't even remember Celine singing that song and was recalling the original by Nilsson back in the 70s.
I didn't think Grace sounded as good as the judges did on her 2nd song.