TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 01, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Vocal Talent Shows: American Idol XVI: Live Shows: Archive through May 01, 2018 users admin

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Probably because they are trying to fit in the shortened season of Dancing With the Stars as well. I think this is a bad approach that leaves fans of both shows unhappy.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And conflicting with The Voice.. Quite irritating.

I did record this and will listen because .. Disney songs!

Yay for Catie and Maddie.

Thanks so much for spoiling, Naja. đź’ś

Tabbyking

03-11-2002

Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 11:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tabbyking a private message Print Post    
I really was hoping Ada would make it to the top 7. I am sure many people in certain areas of the country did not want to vote for her because of her being a drag queen. I hope she finds her way to a broadway musical where she is the star and she can have her drag queen story told; "Auditions on A.I.: From Adam to Ada". Hell, she could sing in an opera and do both male and female characters. I thought she was gutsy and brave and really thought about how much of an effect going from Adam to Ada would have on the audience. I like that Jurnee and Cade and Catie made it through. The others were just okay for me.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 7:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I wonder if now there are going to be more articles about how people who vote on American Idol don't vote for people of color (like Marcio was very outspoken about last week). I thought Dennis was very talented and if I was inclined to vote (of course I watched two hours later so it wasn't even an option) I would have voted for him. I never thought Michelle should have advanced in the first place. I think Dennis is far more talented than Michael but I think Michael's personality is infectious. I also think Maddie is quirky in unique in a really great way (her voice reminds me of classic female country singers) whereas I still find Catie overpowering. Jurnee has a wonderful voice but needs to work on her look - she is beautiful but she almost seems to cover herself up with makeup and hair instead of letting herself shine alongside her voice.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 7:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The performances and performers that people like is very subjective.

What isn't subjective is the fact that several AI winners and finalists have been people of color and they obviously got the votes.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I don't vote so I can't complain if I think America got it wrong. However, at this point I see it being between 4 folks & they are all still around.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 9:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Texasdeb, I don't vote either, but see 2 frontrunners and would be surprised if one of them does not win.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
I'm glad Ada is gone. It's nice to have a wide range but she's flat over half the time, off pitch and screaming high notes simply hurts my ears. Who in the world chose Gabby over Dennis. He was abundantly better than she was. Girl can not sing. Best of the night, for me: Catie and Caleb.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I feel like the 7 that are left really have been the 7 best all along. I think anything can happen from this point on.

Voting is so easy now. Long gone are the days of redialing a phone number for as long as you could stand it.

I like all that are left, but I do have my favorite top 3.
Catie, Cade, and Caleb. All the Cs.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Sorry, Misspoufy, but I totally disagree with you. DH and I both love Gabby. She is a star and very talented. I would love to see her sing a duet with Caleb!

We loved Ada, but last night was not her best performance. It was pitchy. She was fun and very talented, but just not consistent.

Michael is adorable and always amazes me when he starts singing. He's so socially awkward (as is Catie--I believe they're both on the spectrum), but when he stops swaying and starts to sing--Wow! He has a gift.

Pretty happy with the top 7, except for Cade. He just rubs me the wrong way. I don't like the way he growls through his songs and calls it "singing." And he's just so full of himself. I love classic rock, but he is not it. I just can't.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
So can someone explain how the voting works? I have to confess that I still haven't watched the show (I have it recorded). If the voting takes place during the show, doesn't that give the earlier performers a big advantage? Thanks.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, from what Ryan said after the first singer sang, people are just voting for their favorites. I don't think a lot of people are voting for the best singer, cause they're not even waiting for people to sing to cast their votes.

I totally forgot this was on last night. It came on at 5:00 here (Cali), so by the time we started watching it, it was already over. I don't like the way they're rushing this season. It takes all the fun out of watching the singers grow and improve from week to week. IIRC, it was about the middle of season 1 when Kelly Clarkson finally wowed the judges and showed 'em what she could do. That's what I like to see, when the "stars" suddenly emerge from the pack.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, You vote all during the show for anybody you want. 10 votes limit for each method. Online, app, or text. No phone calls anymore.

Ada sang 4th, Michelle was 5th, and Dennis was last.

But I thought Dennis was the worst of the night, so I think it was only coincidence.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Furious about ADA! She has more Talent, poise, stage presence, and Showmanship than most of them. Oh well I still have Catie to root for. And I'm positive Ada will have huge career after this.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Funny how differently we perceive different people - I think Cade comes across as kind of sweet - totally at odds with how he comes across when he sings. I keep thinking that he looks like a young innocent kid and then he sings rock and except for the hair his face doesn't match his performance...LOL! I also think that he can sing rather well.

Gabby hasn't impressed me and I thought last night was definitely not her best night. She seems very scripted to me - I would like to see her be a little less controlled.

Ada - so torn about this one. Beautiful voice but I'm not sure American Idol is the right venue to do a drag queen act and try as he (she?) might he still came across as if he was performing in a drag show instead of a national singing competition. Quite honestly I would have preferred not to know Ada was really a man so he would have been judged strictly on his performance. I say he because although he performed as a woman to my knowledge he is 100% male, right? Not transitioning? The world sure is changing...LOL! Still, having someone deservedly make it to the top 10 (and go on tour) is still a huge step for this very talented performer. I hope he gets some costumes that are more flattering though.

I like Caleb also - what a sweetie and he has that beautiful baritone voice which I love.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Ada is a she. That's the correct terminology. I also am sorry she had to go. She has a spectacular voice. I do believe that there are a lot of venues where she will fit in completely well.

I like quite a few that are left.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Babyjaxmom said. "Sorry, Misspoufy, but I totally disagree with you."

That's okay. That's why there's voting! LOL

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Oppps, I want to add to my post for Jimmer that it's 10 votes per idol per method.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Why is Ada a she? Because she is a female character? But her portrayer is not a she, correct?

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 12:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
It's about respecting a person's gender identification. We call someone by the pronoun they identify with. Ada prefers to be called "she".

Being respectful of a drag performer’s gender is the same as being respectful of anyone else’s gender. If you’re not sure, for example, of which pronouns to use when referring to someone, just ask. Like transgender people, drag performers can experience discrimination and harassment because of their gender expression.

Understanding Drag

Dke1212

07-13-2005

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dke1212 a private message Print Post    
Dennis should still be there. Still don't like Gabby or Cade.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I'm no expert on the subject but I honestly believe that because Ada's Persona is female that's why I referred to her as a female. When the performer is out of character and out of costume he's really a guy so then I would refer to him by his real name (which I just forgot, I think it's Adam). In an early interview he said he was not transgender that he was a male who portrays a female character. If you noticed they had both names listed for him on screen.

Babyjaxmom

10-20-2002

Monday, April 30, 2018 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Babyjaxmom a private message Print Post    
It's easy. Ada=She. Adam=He.

It's hard to see any of them go, but as Katy keeps saying,"There can only be one American Idol."

And I read an interview with Adam/Ada this morning where he (speaking as Adam) was quoted, "You don't have to win to be an American Idol." Just ask Jennifer Hudson (my own remark, not Adam's).

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I still felt like Ada needed more control of her voice. It could be screechy at times. Dennis had a very nice voice but I didn't think he played to the audience personality wise, like the others.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I agree with you, Lakecat. And, Michelle just shouldn't have still been there in the first place so the 3 that left are the 3 that should have left.