TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 09, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Vocal Talent Shows: American Idol XIII: 5/7 - Top 4 Week (Singing & Results): Archive through May 09, 2014 users admin

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 6:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Jena is safe so far

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 6:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
They're showing a day off they gave them...a day in the park, talking about going home

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 6:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Safe is. Caleb

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Going home is......Jessica

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
I figured that was coming. Jessica has a good voice but she lacks a dynamic stage presence. Swan song is Blue-eyed Lie, which if I recall she wrote

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 6:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
That was so ridiculously sad. Her eyes turned deep red. I didn't think she was going to hold it together for the whole song.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 7:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Probably the most emotion she's shown while singing on the show....

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
yip.....that was hard to watch! Now, we have: Caleb, Jena, & Alex..................

I am for a Caleb win & I don't have a choice of the other 2..........prob. prefer Jena

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 8:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Like Alex is so emotive.. sigh..

I'm for Jena, or Caleb..

Windowbox

05-10-2011

Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Windowbox a private message Print Post    
Sea, you just posted what I've been thinking for a long time. Repeatedly I've heard how Jess doesn't have stage presence, but Alex (who I like) has zip emotion. I have watched all the seasons of AI and I don't recall the judges being so slanted toward two contestants. I really disliked J lo getting up to kiss Jena. Totally unnecessary, IMO.

Granjan

05-10-2011

Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 11:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Granjan a private message Print Post    
All along I have thought Jess had a great voice. It always bothered me that she only got negative reviews from the judges, but I know nothing about music. They are all good but it was just sad to see her go.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Friday, May 09, 2014 - 3:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
I completely agree Seamonkey and Windowbox. I always felt Alex didn't have anymore stage presence than Jessica(I think he had less) but she constantly received negative responses from the judges.

I also didn't like JLO getting up to kiss Jena. Yes, it was an awesome performance but I don't agree with the judges showing such biased favoritism toward any contestant.

Gldnlvr

08-03-2007

Friday, May 09, 2014 - 6:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gldnlvr a private message Print Post    
Also the judges really gave Alex a hard time for not changing up one song from Wed. night when he has changed the songs so much (too much a couple of times) to "make it his own". Caleb, it seems to me, sings them exactly like they were recorded, and yes does a great job. But they were especially hard on Alex.

I like that Harry keeps it all business . . no standing o's, etc.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, May 09, 2014 - 6:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I think that it isn't so much as Alex not changing up the songs to make them his own as Alex sounding exactly the same (and acting the same) on each of the songs he sings. I haven't watched in several weeks - I got bored - but to me he just always seemed to be a void on the stage - good voice, seems like a nice guy - but does nothing to hold my interest while he is performing.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, May 09, 2014 - 7:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I think Alex gets a pass on the showing emotion thing because he's a guy. Unfortunantly.

Maineiac

08-24-2009

Friday, May 09, 2014 - 8:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Maineiac a private message Print Post    
Lakecat, they sure gave Sam a hard time with him not showing emotion or making a connection but yet they've not said anything about Alex. I don't get it.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, May 09, 2014 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think Alex is very... mesmerising? Can't think of the right word. Fascinating to look at while singing. I see him as having both emotion and charisma. But it looks like it might just be me!

Dke1212

07-13-2005

Friday, May 09, 2014 - 8:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dke1212 a private message Print Post    
I don't like Jenas singing. Especially not how she wrecked Can't Help falling In Love. I don't get why so many people think it was so good.

I think Harry was correct when he talked about not doing standing ovations etc. because he is a judge...he is there to judge.

Nessietessie

02-03-2007

Friday, May 09, 2014 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Nessietessie a private message Print Post    
Harry is the best idol judge they have ever had. I hated that JLo got up to hug and kiss Jena. Puleeze! She is showing such favoritism by doing that. So many viewers love JLo and they will be swayed by her favoritism by giving Jena votes. Totally wrong for her to do that. That said, I cannot understand how Jena is so well loved. If you listen to her singing, you cannot understand a word she is saying. It sounds like a rolled tongue and a mouth full of marbles.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL, Kitt! Mesmerizing as in he might put me to sleep..

Harry is there to judge but he also seems to be there to joke around with the other judges, yet he doesn't want to show when he enjoys a performance?

I guess I hear a different Jena, because I really enjoy her. I also enjoyed Jessica. And Caleb gives great performances.

Misspoufy

09-30-2004

Friday, May 09, 2014 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Misspoufy a private message Print Post    
Jena has great talent and wonderful musicality, but as Nessie says, she sounds like she has a mouthful of marbles at times. I did not enjoy her take on the Elvis classic. I'm quite certain JLo's reaction did bias the voting this week.

I too have enjoyed Harry's judging, he's given valuable critiques and helpful hints which helps singers much more than someone telling them their performance gave them "goosies". A good judge should be impartial. I think he does show when he enjoys a performance but I think he also understands these folks have a long way to go and the chances of being a superstar are slim.

Alex has an indefinable quality but I think he'd be a better songwriter than he would singer. I look at other great songwriters like Willie Nelson, for instance. FABULOUS songwriter, not much of a singer.

Caleb is good old rock and roll. No gimmicks, just rock and roll. Maybe it's time AI gives us a rock winner!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, May 09, 2014 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
What does it mean to be impartial when judging a music contest? Shouldn't the judges be partial to one or more contestants who they think are the best as part of their judging?

Pam2uall

10-25-2006

Friday, May 09, 2014 - 2:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pam2uall a private message Print Post    
From the beginning I really liked Jessica. But, with time I did not see her in the final 2. I still think she has a fantastic voice, but she didn't have "soul". At least, not enough that I felt her songs. I was not surprised to see her leave. But, she hung in there and sang the heck out of that final song.

I think Jena and Caleb each have a good stage presence. Caleb has a good, strong, rock and roll voice. I thought his rendition of the McCartney song was top notch.

I know, in my head, that Jena is a very good singer. But, personally, I do not enjoy listening to her. It is hard for me to pinpoint exactly why. There is something about her tone that my ears simply do not enjoy. (Not to mention the mouth full of marbles.)

I think Alex is quirky. And, sometimes quirky works for singers. But, for lack of a better word, imo, he is missing the "it" factor. Maybe a good manager could help him develop a better stage presence. Otherwise, I agree that Alex probably fits better in the world of song writing.

I don't really care who wins, but if I were handing out the trophy today, it would go to Caleb.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, May 09, 2014 - 2:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That final song she sang the heck out of is one she wrote herself.. pretty remarkable, I think. And I think she has plenty of soul and isn't just deadpanning like Alex. I never saw her in F2 but yes to F3. And I wasn't at all surprised she went now with the judges being so critical of her. In fact I think they were stunned they didn't get to keep Sam over her. Oh well.

I agree quirky can work and I often LOVE the quirky indie singers. And maybe if I only heard Alex it would be different.

Now, Willie.. lol.. well his voice is an acquired taste (Dylan, too.. , Don McClean, Gordon Lightfoot (sang well but even better writing songs) I've heard them all in concert and enjoyed them very much. Willie, used to go to his concerts often and his loyal fans just LOVE him and LOVE hearing his songs and his band but give one of his songs to someone else and it can soar, for sure.

I guess I actually like Jena's marble intonation. It sets her apart from cookiecutter voices.

Maybe I just have a thing for dark hair and bangs?

And I see nothing wrong with the judges having favorites, as long as it is based on something solid. Of course some judges are more impulsive than others too.

But Jennifer's goosies and this one time running up to a singer still convey what she things far more than Randy's "yo yo yo"..

It sure sounds like all three judges are set to go again.. since they are hitting all three hometowns .. New Orleans, New York and Nashville in the audition tour coming up.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Friday, May 09, 2014 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I agree about Jen. I really just don't get it. I think if she had been put up against past final 4 contestants she wouldn't have made it to the hometown visit, it's only because this years top singers have been so disappointing.