TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 30, 2014

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: Vocal Talent Shows: American Idol XIII: 4/30 - Top 5 Week (Singing & Results): Archive through April 30, 2014 users admin

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
This week's Top 5 theme is "America’s Request".

The remaining contestants will choose two songs from the thousands of requests tweeted to them over the past several weeks.

I am not particularly fond of these extremely broad themes. I miss some of the old hokey themes like disco night, or teen idols.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
They're about as "themeless" as you can get and still have a theme.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 2:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I kind of like them, assuming the contestants are the ones who can actually choose which of the requests they sing it's a good chance for them to sing a song that suits them. Nearing the final, I think it's more important they're not forced into any genre that doesn't match them, like poor Alex last week with Rock and Roll and Country, neither of which were good for him at all.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
For me, I think the first priority of this show is enjoyment for the audience while watching the show. The secondary is finding a big star. For example, never once did I vote for someone thinking "I will vote for this person because I would buy their record". When I vote, am directly voting on who is entertaining me most on the show right now.

And for me, the themes play a big part in it. If I don't like the theme, I enjoy the show a lot less.

And I think it would be fun and entertaining as heck for everybody to see someone like Sam have to sing a disco song....LOL

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
lol, that would be funny. Yes, I see what you mean, and I love the Beatles week and 80s week when they had them, so I guess I feel somewhat the same. Themes are better than styles, for instance they could do a Beatles song in any style, but if Rock and Roll doesn't suit it doesn't matter what you sing, it's going to sound bad.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Monday, April 28, 2014 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I see both sides. I, also miss the theme wks of yester-year but realize that we might have lost potential winners that just couldn't grasp that particular theme. However, there are always a few contestants that will nail it no matter what is thrown at them & that, to me is a true artist! Maybe they could throw in our themes when the contestants get low enough that they do 2 songs/wk. They could do.....1 song of their choice & 1 song from the theme. That might be interesting.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 5:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
and here we go....

Jason Mraz is the guest mentor.

Alex is up first singing "Sweater Weather" by Neighbourhood.

DH just expressed my sentiments exactly. "It's not setting my pants on fire"....LOL

The judges liked it. They weren't over the moon about it, but they liked it. They wanted more excitement and range.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Thanks for spoiling, Naja. I won't be able to watch until late tonight.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 5:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Caleb is up next. He is singing "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith.

I didn't like the beginning at all, but it got better.

Jen got "Goosies"....lol
Harry didn't like him looking at the camera so much. Could have been stronger.
Keith said his feelings need to show in front, not be secondary.

eta: you're welcome, Kitt :-)

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Jena, Alex and Sam are doing a trio to "Best Day of My Life" by American Authors. I really like this song. I keep forgetting to download it.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 5:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Jessica is up next singing "Human" by Christina Perri.

Wow, she really sounds great. I like that she got rid of most of the pink in her hair. It's more subtle now with a tiny bit of blue.

The audience loved it, went nuts.
Harry loved that she really took the advice she was given.
Keith said he loved when her voice cracked a little and it was his fav part.
Jennifer loved the feelings she showed at a certain part in the song. It was like magic.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 6:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
positive comments for Jessica, well I never!

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 6:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Could the teenage girls "awwww" any more than they just did? Sam just said he misses his shih tzu doggie and they showed a picture of it. Then Ariana Grande (his idol) came out and surprised him.

Sam is singing "Sing" By Ed Sheeran.

This may just be the most animated I have ever seen Sam. He actually sounds grown up right now.

The girlies are screaming.

Keith said he did as good of a job as he could.
Jen says it's the most comfortable she has ever seen him singing. Relatively funky.
Harry liked that he did something different. Wants him more in the pocket, because he felt he diffused some of the funk.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 6:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Jena (my fav) is up next. Jason says she sparkles like a toothpaste commercial....LOL

Jena is singing "My Body" by Young the Giant.

Jennifer says she sounded really good. Likes how her signature and style are coming together and getting better and better.
Harry says how the little things she does help her in the long run. They loved the glow stick thing.
Keith loved that she leans in when she performs.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Caleb and Jessica are doing a duet to "Beast of Burden"....Rolling Stones.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Alex's second song is "Say Something" by The Great Big World.

He actually looked in pain singing this song. The crowd goes wild.

The judges all loved it. Harry said it was the performance of the night.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
phew

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Jena up singing "Valerie" by Amy Winehouse.

Keith said her vocals are killer and she suits that song.
Jen said you always kill it Jena, but for me that wasn't your best song. The tempo and arrangement were too old for her. (crowd boos Jennifer big time)
Harry said it was great. Not best, not worst.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 6:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Sam is up singing "How to Save a Life" by The Fray.

Jennifer said it was shaky in the beginning, but when he hit the sweet spot, it was beautiful.
Harry said it was a perfect song for him but there were pitch issues. He wishes he would have sung the whole song like he did toward the end with the cry in his voice.
Keith agreed with Jen. Beginning was shaking, by the end he had him.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Jessica is singing "Summertime Sadness" by Lana Del Rey.

Wow, she's in a mega sexy red evening gown with a slit all the way up! She's really glammed up.
For some reason she is really sounding like Stevie Nicks to me. It sound so good.

Harry said the song was perfect for her. He stressed perfect. Perfect marriage of voice and song.
Keith said there was a David Lynch mysticism. He asked if she could emotionally and dramatically lean in more.
Jen wants her to find a little bit more. Left her a little cold.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The pimp spot goes to Caleb, again.

Caleb is singing "Still of the Night" by Whitesnake.

He pretty much does any hard rock song well, including this one. Keith and Jen are standing and dancing as they listen.

The crowd roars. Big Standing O.

Kieth says Awesome, killer.
Jennifer says that's what you call burning down the house.
Harry says he can't sing it better than that. Congrats.

That's all folks.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 7:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Jessica often sounds like Stevie Nicks to my ears.

Who do you think will go?

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I think Sam or Alex will go.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 7:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
it's at the stage where they're all so good. I'm still holding out hope for an Alex win.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Exactly. Going home now doesn't mean you aren't good.